#154526  by Arafel

We all know the Dead were an amazing live band, one that continually pushed the music and often achieved amazing new highs. It's also well-documented that the Dead hated the studio, and that tends to come through in their recordings, many of which sound sterile and lifeless.

However, are there any songs that you don't like hearing live?

For me, it's "Friend of the Devil," with the caveat that I like the acoustic versions from 1970. The jaunty take on "American Beauty" is so perfect, and I really never bonded with the slow live version they started doing in the mid-70s, that they played till the end of their career. I always felt this was a rare song that was better on album than what they played live.

Does anybody else feel that way, either about "Friend of the Devil" or another.
 #156001  by tcsned

I heard this version on the GD Channel on XM over the weekend from the GD Movie at Winterland in '74. It's pretty cool, not a lot of electric version done at up tempo.

I love the slower ones too . . . when played well. Same goes with most any song in their catalog, for me it's all about the execution.
 #156029  by gratefulredhead

Box of Rain live was always more like Box of Pain. :shock: It's one of my favorite studio tracks but never heard a live version I liked. If someone knows of a good one please enlighten me!

Loose Lucy could be spotty live, but I have heard versions I like. Same with Dupree's.