rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#147750  by oceanbear11
 Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:25 pm
OP here.
I got to thinking about my dishonorable mention of Attics of My Life. I guess I didn't really mean worst per se when I said that. . . I got to listening to it more and it really does grow on you. . .
I also had not been thinking about Brent's tunes, some of which I really can't stand. So whatever may come of this, I'm changing it to Easy to Love You.
I think Brent's a talented player (and his parts on Touch of Grey sound great transcribed to violin), but, IMHO, as a songwriter he just ain't very Deadlike, for better or (more likely) for worse.
Last edited by oceanbear11 on Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #147755  by lightningbolt
 Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:35 am
Here is a few losers in my opinion:
Money Money
Blues for Allah....cant listen to it. Thank goodness they dropped it from the repertoire and never dusted it off.
What'll you Raise....even Jerry knew this sucked.
Sunrise
From the Heart of Me
St Stephen in the slowed down late 70's version....kind of neutered a great song.

After seeing about 50 1st sets end with Don't Ease Me In..I began to hate it....sorta meant at least to me that Jerry was saying..."let's get the fuck off the stage quickly".

Attics is one of my fav's BTW.
 #147756  by EMF
 Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:12 am
Little Red Rooster was a real head scratcher last Saturday given the lack of time and all he great original songs that they were unable to get to. I get the Chicago blues connection but still would have preferred an original GD classic like High Time or Sugaree. So many tunes and so little time. 2nd Set West LA (which I dig) was also a questionable decision. Had weir's fingerprints all over it
 #147764  by healthy_scratch
 Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:45 am
Pffff there are some contenders for that title, a lot of them already named. I will add to the proverbial file two mid 80s train wrecks. Maybe You Know and Don't Need Love. Look I loved Brent as a player and enjoyed at times the energy he brought. His Hammond playing was the shit too and his voice and cat and mouse trade offs with Jerry were infectious and flat out awesome. But 1983 as much as people love Garcia's playing this year and it is very inspired dare I say enhanced at times (especially the JGB shows in 83) but in general (for these ears) the Dead the keyboard tones - let us be honest here and call it what it is the Dead's Cheeseboard tones coming from Brent in 1983 are just plain awful at times.

If you do not get what I am referring and enjoy lousy grating synthoid tone, listen to Maybe You Know from Spring 1983, I think one of the Brendan Byrne shows with Stephen Stills sitting in has it. That is the sound of an early 80s Casio child's keyboard driving the audio abortion known as Maybe You Know. Sorry to say it folks, I know people love their 83 Dead but be honest, it is not for the rich keyboard tones such as these.

Don't Need Love, jesus, what to say here. I mean wow the title alone is a glaringly obvious cliché, the lyrics contrived at best, musically rather bland song. But I guess what made this such a ripe contender for worst GD song of all time was above all was its unstrategic song placement . I still to this day scratch my head still over this, and I apologize in advance if I ruffle feathers saying this but, these guy had to be so way high out of their gourds on everything in 83 - 84 simply due to the fact that Don't Need Love was more often than not placed in the second set as the lead into Drums.

Two absolutely asstastic GD classics there for you.
 #147769  by aiq
 Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:43 am
When a group has so many tunes it would be hard to like every one.

The Brent songs, not because they are bad just doesn't sound like the Dead to me. My bias is showing.

Dead and slide, whoever plays it, not so much for me.

The expectation sequences, China/Rider, Scarlet/Fire...sacred cows maybe but sometimes I just want to yell "break them up once inna while!"

I like the slowed (arrpegiated) bridge on SS, a hybrid version would be great I think.

But who knows how the tune will affect you at a given moment? Even if not a fav a great jam could be just around the corner.
 #147778  by RiseandFall
 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:04 am
Back in the day the most bitched about song (in the parking lot anyway) was Day Job. But one has to consider the mindset of the source there.
Corrina I can kind of do without. That said, over the years some of my least favorite songs have become some of my favorite, so I guess these things can morph with time, although I can't fathom that being the case with Corrina.
Regarding the negative ongoing Bobby slide comments, I hear ya, but do temper these jabs by listening to his slide work on Row Jimmy at the infamous Barton Hall show. It is overshadowed by Jerry's brilliance, but still quite excellent.
 #147782  by BobbyMcGee
 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:49 am
No mention of the Vince classic "Way to Go Home"...its a long, long, long, long, long, long, long way.....way to go home. :? :?

That and Eternity were some pretty bad late numbers.
 #147790  by Arafel
 Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:04 pm
BobbyMcGee wrote:No mention of the Vince classic "Way to Go Home"...its a long, long, long, long, long, long, long way.....way to go home. :? :?

That and Eternity were some pretty bad late numbers.
I hated Way to Go Home initially, but that one grew on me. It's got some interesting parts.

Eternity gets overshadowed in the bad department by Corinna, but it should get a nod.

On the topic of Brent songs, well, there are a bunch that I think are forgettable, like We Can Run and Tons of Steel, but they don't elicit the near violent negative reaction in me that Victim or the Crime and Corinna do. I never got I Will Take You Home until I was having a really bad trip at the Sullivan Stadium show in 1990 and they played it, and it really calmed me down. My favorite Brent songs were Blow Away and Just a Little Light, and Brent also co-wrote Hell in a Bucket.
 #147794  by mttourpro
 Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:09 pm
Came in to say I am stunned that I saw no mention of Wave to the Wind.
IMHO, easily, hands down the VERY worst GD song of all time.....unless you are really into the the theme from Love Boat.

Honorable mention goes to Day Job, just for the sheer frequency in the 80s and the content involved. Hard to beat that one as a bummer encore.

althogh Vince tried with I fought the law--- but, not really a GD song.

Listen to the Victim from Copps in 90 and I bet you won't think that should be in the running at all.
 #147798  by healthy_scratch
 Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:54 am
RiseandFall wrote:
Regarding the negative ongoing Bobby slide comments, I hear ya, but do temper these jabs by listening to his slide work on Row Jimmy at the infamous Barton Hall show. It is overshadowed by Jerry's brilliance, but still quite excellent.

That slide playing you are hearing on the Row Jimmy is very sweet, one of the best versions for sure, but too bad it is more of Jerry's brilliance on the tune as it is his slide playing you are hearing there and not Bob's. Bob did not start torturing audiences with his at first god awful slide playing until 1978. While he did get better he has always been mediocre to weak with it in my books. Jerry was definitely the better slide player of the 2 - Row Jimmy, WRS Part I, It Hurts me Too etc. I am sure his study and subsequent development into an excellent pedal steel player helped contribute to Jer's tasty standard tuning slide technique.
 #147801  by Arafel
 Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:57 am
mttourpro wrote:Came in to say I am stunned that I saw no mention of Wave to the Wind.
IMHO, easily, hands down the VERY worst GD song of all time.....unless you are really into the the theme from Love Boat.

Honorable mention goes to Day Job, just for the sheer frequency in the 80s and the content involved. Hard to beat that one as a bummer encore.

althogh Vince tried with I fought the law--- but, not really a GD song.

Listen to the Victim from Copps in 90 and I bet you won't think that should be in the running at all.
I posted Wave to the Wind in the third or fourth post of this thread. I always thought it sounded like the theme from the Love Boat.
 #147815  by mgbills
 Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:39 pm
I can safely say that the LRR's often made me want to take Bob's slide away, and either throw it or bury it.

But as time goes on, and my understanding of Bob goes on…I rather enjoy some instances of Bob slide on Althea's.