rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#147623  by oceanbear11
 Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:45 pm
Contrary to what some may believe, it doesn't make you a bad Deadhead to not be thrilled about, or even to loathe, one or a few or even many Dead songs, although it's hard to find one not to like.

On this thread you shall not be judged. I'm just curious to find out what some peoples' least-loved Dead tunes are. But I would like to ask you to please not ridicule what anybody says here. It's fine to respectfully beg to differ, but I would seriously regret starting this thread if anybody starts getting reamed.

For me it's Attics of My Life. Still better than many tunes floating around out there in the world in general, but musically something about it makes me want to go crawl into a hole (as soon as I wake up).
Last edited by oceanbear11 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #147629  by Arafel
 Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:57 pm
I can't believe you'd nominate Attics. Total transcendence.

For me, there's always been one: Victim or the Crime. It used to make me cringe.

Others include Wave to the Wind, Corinna, and Samba in the Rain.
 #147630  by HeadSpace
 Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:08 pm
That Picasso Moon thing is pretty awful. Don't much care for any of the Brent-written tunes either, to be honest.
 #147632  by mgbills
 Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:14 pm
Day Job.
Corinna scrapes the bottom.
 #147637  by oceanbear11
 Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:07 pm
HeadSpace wrote:That Picasso Moon thing is pretty awful. Don't much care for any of the Brent-written tunes either, to be honest.
I agree about Brent's tunes (particularly "Easy to Love You"), but truth be told I like Picasso Moon.
By the way, I'm glad to see people are civil here so far. . . I knew if I could rely on anyone to be good sports, it'd be Deadheads.
 #147638  by Mr.Burns
 Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:12 pm
I don't understand why OP brought up Wings in a less than flattering way. I like Wings. I saw Paul a couple years ago and it was awesome. He plays quite a few Wings songs, and plays them well.
Hey, you know who else liked Wings? Jerry Garcia. OP should give "Let Me Roll It" (any version, Jerry or Paul) a listen, since I'm about 99.99% sure he's unfamiliar with it. And that's not the only evidence of old Jer's admiration for Sir Paul. "That Would Be Something" comes to mind, and there might be more I can't remember right now, not to mention any Lennon/McCartney tunes that GD did.
 #147639  by oceanbear11
 Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:18 pm
OK. I'll do that. It's just that what I've heard of Wings sounds like typical radio/pop type stuff, but I guess I should hear more before jumping to conclusions about all their stuff. Consider the statement retracted (and I will also edit that out in the post when I'm done here). Sorry about that!
Should have known I'd get busted for that sooner or later!
:oops:
Last edited by oceanbear11 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #147640  by Dozin
 Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:33 pm
Whatever tune Jerry played midi leads on. Couldn't stand hearing that crap,. But that's just me.

1988 jerry tour hearing Deal every night made me hate that tune but I'm starting to like it again.

Must of been the roses was a lets move on tune for me. However, I'd give anything to hear him sing it one more time today.
 #147645  by Poor Peter
 Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:03 am
Walkin Blues or Rooster. Cant count how many times the joint would be jumpin after a Jerry tune only to hear Bob pull the rug out with one of those two. Made me cringe every time.
 #147672  by TI4-1009
 Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:56 pm
oceanbear11 wrote:For me it's Attics of My Life. Still better than many tunes floating around out there in the world in general, but musically something about it makes me want to go crawl into a hole (as soon as I wake up).
Godfrey Danials! I just don't know about this new generation of Deadheads..... Attics the worst song?! :shock: :-)

Don't tell the band- they sang it for an encore on their final show.
 #147674  by dleonard
 Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:06 pm
I will second victim or the crime as worst Dead song. Let me also add that while I love Stranger in concert, the album version on go to heaven is pretty brutal.
 #147680  by LazyLightning72
 Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:39 am
OK, as a disclaimer Imho when the Dead did a song, be it a traditional or other it became theirs. Many may not hold this same view and that's fine, this is simply my own humble opinion on the subject.

That said, I can say with 100% honesty from my perspective If there was 1 song I could have done without, the answer is simple-Queen Jane.

Whenever I was at a show or listening to my collection, etc.. when it would come up on the set list I would think to myself how I would have preferred ( this or that song ) in it's place.

Either way I still grooved to it and would give anything to be at a show at this very minute shaking my bones to it with Jerry & the boys.

(~)}:}
LazyLightning72
 #147692  by strumminsix
 Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:11 am
A challenge to everyone in this thread. Go back and listen to these 2 and then tell me that any song is actually worse than these 2. :lol:

This was the 2nd GD album I bought (after skeletons) and almost had me stop listening to the Dead cuz of how horrific these 2 cuts were.
strumminsix wrote:It's a tie between Rosemary and What's Become of the Baby