#146713  by ccw3432

I've been watching some videos of Billy's new band, Billy and the Kids. WOW! Lots of observations but here's a couple.

1. The musicianship of this band is simply incredible.
2. It's easy to hear how important Billy's playing is to the Grateful Dead sound. A completely different band, yet Billy's magic shines through to give it that Grateful Dead style rhythm like no one else can do.

If you haven't heard them yet, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLzxJ6ApFo
 #146722  by Poor Peter

Yes, do check them out. I watched some vids not sure what to expect and to my delight they were really bringing it. It was always and still is my contention that Billy and Jer had a special musical relationship that could often be heard if you were really paying attention. It was very subtle I think but Billy complimented Jerry often and added a lot of different flavors that Jer got off on.
 #146723  by milobender

Excellent! I love Billy's playing... if there is anyone of the Dead I'd play with it would be Bill first "o)
 #146810  by astroman99

I am open minded, could hardly get thru Cumberland Blues from 3-27-15, in fact I didn't, put on a Dead show from '88 instead. I have heard a lot of dead bands and a lot the core four has done in the last years, honestly thought it was lame. I am not a hater. Maybe try to listen to more later. :smile:
 #146811  by ccw3432

astroman99 wrote:I am open minded, could hardly get thru Cumberland Blues from 3-27-15, in fact I didn't, put on a Dead show from '88 instead. I have heard a lot of dead bands and a lot the core four has done in the last years, honestly thought it was lame. I am not a hater. Maybe try to listen to more later. :smile:
I don't think they are trying to do the songs just like the Dead do them. The band has more of that upbeat feel that most of the modern jam bands seem to have, but Billy's drumming tones that down to a familiar place and gives it that groove in my opinion. I have to be in the right mood to listen to a lot of the new jam band stuff out there. A lot of it is balls to wall, and missing some of they dynamics and relaxed feel the Dead were able to achieve.

I'm curious, what specifically you didn't like? Was it the musicianship or the style in which they are playing, or something else?
 #146812  by astroman99

Too me Cumberland is a boogie, I think it was after the second verse(maybe after brdge b4 end of song)the keyboards started playing this spacey stuff, guitar riffs slowed, and it was like the energy dropped out, from what I remember, I certainly don't expect the dead, but was not impressed by playing, didn't really feel the drums punching thru on what I heard...(you tube 3-27) so no comment on Billy's playing. :D
 #146829  by brbadg

To me,Reed Mathis is the most annoying.It's ok to put your own stuff in,but in his case it's distracting.
 #146861  by mttourpro

FWIW, I saw them in DC at the 9 30 club the night before the Dear Jerry gig and I thought they were very good. I liked the new infusion of upbeat playing and hard driving style into GD classics. If you're looking for more of an exact replication or a rendering that's familiar, this is not for you. They definitely seem to be trying to do new things and have new takes on the tunes and I think they suceed in doing that very well. YMMV depending on what you're into. Here's the setlist.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/billy-and ... 876ba.html

Pretty much liked the way the did everything but especially, the Cassidy, Rueben, Let it Grow, Deal and Cumberland they played. Did a really heavy-rock style jam on Cassidy that evolved into a really cool more jazzy jam that I still wonder if they made up on the spot or maybe it was from something else (Disco Biscuits maybe). Check out the Help>Slip>Frank's from Dear Jerry---I thought that was a nice example of what these guys basically do.

Would go see them again.

Just for extra measure, check out the Scarlet>Rider the Biscuits played atDear Jerry. Arguably the best jam of that whole show.....and, I've never seen or listen to the Biscuits before. Their keyboard player (Aaron Manger) is a bad ass as is the guitar player (Tom Hamilton) in Billy's band.

Sound/vid is not the best but they way they did the Scarlet into Rider (IMHO) was absolutely sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-LslMmiE3g this is the whole segment

this is just the Scarlet (better quality but no segue>Rider whcih was the best part to me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YT1eGc9cQI