#142290  by TI4-1009

The days before tuners- you had to be there. Priceless:

http://www.avclub.com/article/experienc ... d-t-210576
 #142291  by gr8fulbluz

whooooAh, I just saw this yesterday and thought hey someone stole my idea ( really, i wanted to do something like this once upon a time, but i do not have the attention span).

Anywho, I was searching "77" "Deal" looking for laid back 'Deal's" to jam to. And there this was on the archive. I have not had a listen yet, but i will.

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-00-0 ... urphy.flac

:cool:
 #142292  by TI4-1009

heh heh. I was in about 15 minutes before I thought- "hmmm, bout ready for the first song?".
 #142296  by RiseandFall

The "tuning" is something I always enjoyed. Maybe it was a Pavlovian type of thing because it was what happened right before my favorite thing in the world happened.
And it was almost always a clue as to what the next song was.
But....rarely was it simply tuning. Their instruments stayed amazingly well in tune.
It was more often than not Jerry dialing in his distortion or Mutron, Bob fiddling with his EQ, sometimes it was it was a quick refresher of the stickier parts of the next song.
It was also very much a "how do I feel at the moment and what do I feel like doing next" thing. If one has a guitar in their hands one tends to noodle a bit while mulling over the next song selection.
 #142301  by TI4-1009

^

What he said. Perfect!
 #142302  by hippieguy1954

Yea, it could get a little frustrating when it went on and on and on, but that was kind of par for the course. I always appreciated the outcome of their perfectionism, that's for sure.
 #142308  by Charlie

Well, I love the Dead, but I don't think THIS one will make it into my collection. Although, you could slip it on when it's time for the guests to go home.
 #142324  by gr8fullfred

This is the absolutely the most stupid and ridiculous project of all time. In the day, when the Dead regularly took 10 minutes between songs to tune, we hated it. We hated it then, and I still hate it today. Assembling 90 minutes of tuning segments is clearly the biggest waste of time any deadhead could engage in.

As for me I just downloaded some JGB shows from February 1980. I have not listened to them yet, but I anticipate these recordings to be far better than 90 minutes of tuning.

I suppose there is room in the world for all types, go figure. SIMPLY RIDICULOUS!

Maybe I will scour the archives for every little miff or mistake that Jerry every made and compile them into a 2 hour "Jerry's Mistakes" recording. "Now you can hear all of Jerry's mistakes in one place".
 #142325  by TI4-1009

"Now cool down boy- settle back, easy Jim."