#136107  by tigerstrat

Two photos, both apparently from 1974 at Winterland. The first one is identified by Richard Pechner as 2-23-74:

At first glance, this 2nd pic might look like a simply a different angle of the same stage and PA. Image
Look again: this shows a totally DIFFERENT arrangement of the giant speaker stacks! This photo is identified by someone on dead.net as 10-20-74 but it is clearly not. Neither photo appears to be from the 5-night October run. Look at Billy's drum kit in the 2nd pic, sitting at STAGE RIGHT underneath it's own raised "cluster wall" of 2-way cabinets! It's also his older dark maroon drums, not the cream/white set he played at center-stage in The Movie... Garcia's stack is now at stage-center-left (his post-82 position), and one of Phil's stacks is way over (in the post-82 "Zone") at far stage-right. All in all it looks like EVERY stack except for one of Phil's towers shifts position between the two images, possibly including the vocal cluster stacks!

But the most obvious reason that these two cannot be October pics is because the two-piece, cylindrically curved, flying Vocal Cluster is notably absent in both, where it was so prominent in The Movie:
That leaves February 22, 23, 24 1974 to be the occasion for BOTH of these (the B&W) photos. Did they do a different configuration each night of the February run???
Last edited by tigerstrat on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #136111  by broesau

I believe there were 2 Wall of Sound systems so one could leapfrog the other to the next venue. If this is the case maybe they were rehearsing the assembly/teardown. Weren't the February shows called the "Sound Test"?
 #136117  by Coldshotblues

It appears that Stage left is identical in both pictures but stage right has changed. Curious the large stones tapestry hanging in background. Did they play a night on the wall of sound???
 #136119  by dleonard

I always wondered and was always asked by others watching the GD Movie with me why the Stones emblem is hanging behind the stage as well?
Aztex liked this
 #136175  by tigerstrat

It appears that Stage left is identical in both pictures but stage right has changed. Curious the large stones tapestry hanging in background. Did they play a night on the wall of sound???
This is probably reversed from the true order of the photos (I think the "Billy on stage right" shot might actually go first), but at Stage-Left, first, the Jerry column has moved from its classic stage-right position to right between the vocal cluster and the Left Phil column. Seeing how tight they are together in the other pic, something monstrously huge had to move over about 18-24" in order to fit it in there- either the Phil column or the whole vocal cluster and its scaffolding. Next, the 25ft or so Piano Lows column has moved from the inboard side of the Piano cluster to Far Stage-Left, and finally to match the one that has appeared at stage-right there is now a stack of eight 2-way (2x12 + 6x5; top 5-drums/bottom 3-vocals) cabs where the Piano Lows column had been.

The Stones and GD banners were probably permanent fixtures in there... probably a lot of people that could confirm or dispel that!
 #136211  by the highway terror

the stones banner hung at winterland after the stones 1972 dates there , bill graham never took it down.

the Official "Wall of Sound Test" was 3/23/74 at the Cow Palace.
The 3 show run in Feb. may not have featured the Hanging cluster of tweeters yet.
I have heard that during the development of the wall the band blew out $36,000 worth of tweeters in the first minute of a show. ( I think it was Pauley Pavillion, But i'm not sure ) Maybe they weren't repaired yet.
 #136223  by tigerstrat

the Official "Wall of Sound Test" was 3/23/74 at the Cow Palace.
The "Sound Test" event title for 3/23/74 is well documented. The information that has emerged in recent years from Rick Turner, photos, etc. is that "unofficially", the first time the PA was arranged as a "wall" behind (and above) the band was at Boston 11/30/73, and clearly also at this February run.
The 3 show run in Feb. may not have featured the Hanging cluster of tweeters yet.
Tweeters, 5" high-mid drivers, and 12" low-mid drivers. And neither did the "official" 3/23 Sound Test as seen here:
Vocal cluster is still mostly composed of individual 2x12 cabinets stacked on top of large bulky scaffolding. The sleeker, flown 2-piece vocal cluster debuted at Reno 5/12/74. According to Rich Pechner, the flown piano cluster was only ever used at Hollywood 7/21/74.
I have heard that during the development of the wall the band blew out $36,000 worth of tweeters in the first minute of a show. ( I think it was Pauley Pavillion, But i'm not sure ) Maybe they weren't repaired yet.
It was 2/9/73 Maples Pavilion, and I'm sure they were replaced by the time they went on tour a couple weeks later.
 #136249  by tigerstrat

paulinnc wrote:Who cares? They are both very cool photos.
What was Stan Musial's batting average for the 1948 baseball season? How many doubles did he hit? Triples?
 #136250  by mgbills

Clearly TigerStrat cares! And frankly I'm a little jealous of his knowledge in these areas.
Peace
M
 #160078  by nuthatchwinters

as for billys drums at stage left, they just havnt been rolled into place yet. bill graham was promoting both the stones and the dead at this time hence the stones and dead banners hanging in winterland.