#135857  by FirstBassman

Sorry if this exists somewhere but ...

Who is the dark haired bearded guy talking over the intro ("We have seen the sun rise this morning...") and sings "Lovelight" with Pigpen at Woodstock?

Thanks.
 #135880  by ac4468

"Before the Dead played, Merry Prankster Ken Babbs rattled off a few, mostly incomprehensible announcements. The band was introduced. Frying on acid and completely unprepared, the Dead tested the waters by opening with a half-hearted stab at “St. Stephen.” Two minutes in, and there was a sudden shift into “Mama Tried,” which must have blown a few thousand minds."

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-gra ... -woodstock
 #135889  by TI4-1009

I went to Woodstock mainly to hear The Dead for the first time. Also because I just knew that Dylan would come out of hiding and show up (didn't happen).

After 45 years most of what I remember from that weekend (and no drugs or alcohol!) is from seeing the movie over and over, but I don't remember being disappointed with my first Dead show.
 #135893  by FirstBassman

I was also at Woodstock. (My sister and her boyfriend took me.)
Sorry, Dylan was not the attraction for me.
And, also sorry, most people acknowledge that Woodstock was not the Dead's best show, to say the least.

I was at the top of the hill on Friday.
I remember Sweetwater and Tim Hardin the most.
Friday evening we went back to the car (on Rt. 17B) to sleep.
Spent Saturday day and evening in the woods next to the hill.
Didn't watch any sets (I know, we were idiots) but did wake up during the night to hear a little Creedence and a little Janis.

We left Sunday early afternoon (so we missed the thunderstorm).
 #135919  by Arminius

Hell yea this tune is on youtube. 35 minutes long as I recall. Very fun to jam to. Apologies if someone posted a link to it, I am on my work laptop and youtube links/videos do not show up.
HeadSpace wrote:Reminds me of Charles Manson.
I dig what charles manson comparison. I thought the same thing.
 #135924  by Arminius

jester536 wrote:I like all the posts...particularly form people that were there...but still no word on who that guy doing the weird rap is? would be nice to know.
Did you see someone say Ken babbs?
I remember there were some youtube comments discussing this, and they may have come to a conclusion. Might be worth checking out for ya.
 #135926  by jester536

Babbs does some intros but that's not him during Lovelight. I've done a little checking on line...Lots of internet comments about people not liking the guy rapping but nobody throws a name out...or even more importantly...why someone felt it was appropriate to give him a mic. It might just have to remain a mystery.
 #152201  by TI4-1009

Nick 101 wrote:The guy with dark hair and beard talking over the intro is Robert Hunter!
"Rolling Stone:You didn't go to Altamont, right?

Robert Hunter: No, I didn't, I went to see Easy Rider that day one way or another. I don't like festivals, or I didn't at the time. I didn't go to Woodstock or Watkins Glen."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... z49EPRpbz4
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook