#134718  by milobender

Lately I've been directed to several videos by folks wanting to give me an example of someone else getting the 'Jerry tone' they were after... most of the playing in the videos was of the modal/chromatic fluffy/twittery stuff Jerry liked to do (and don't misunderstand, I like it too "o); but it reminded me of an interview I read with Jerry, sometime in the late 70s I think, where he said he spent some period of time not playing any notes faster than a quarter note. He was concentrating on the melody, the underlying structure of his playing, the Cake instead of the Icing... Jerry always sounded like Jerry, regardless of his equipment, because of the Cake.

I was reading the thread about John Mayer, where the difference between Art and Craft was approached (as well as arguments about playing not being in the 'Jerry' tradition, interpretation, etc). Jerry was certainly a great Artist; and a great Craftsman. You can be a good Craftsman without being an Artist, but you really can't be a good Artist without being a good Craftsman... Craft is the manner in which Art is manifested. Without good Craft, no one will be able to comprehend the Art. Art comes from a place beyond manifestation. Our brains are the first tool in manifesting Art, then our mechanical bodies, and so on... Craft. I watched Jerry, many times, trying to connect with the Art, struggling to squeeze it into manifestation; and lot's of time it just didn't work; but there were many times when it was like opening a door, and ahhhhh, the Art came streaming through.

This lead me to think it would be a good idea, for sake of communications, for folks to differentiate clearly about the difference between Tribute, and Art. If you want to pay tribute, and there isn't a thing in the world wrong with that, then concentrate on the Icing and be good at the Craft... If you want to be an Artist, then concentrate on the Cake and the Icing will come... as the manifestation of your own lens/receiver of the Art.

If there's nothing coming from beyond the brain, there's no Art...

Brian
 #134725  by flyingheelhook

Robert Fripp (King Crimson) talked about craft a lot in a series of articles he wrote - I think it was Guitar Player mag but don't quote me. I equate craft = technique + theory although maybe that doesn't quite encompass what either he or Jerry (or you) really mean. I always try to work on that as much as I can but sometimes ya just gotta jam out I guess. Can we have our Cake and eat the Frosting too? :lol:
 #134777  by mgbills

You guys are definately on it...
The Cake is the language. More and more language skill can always be added. Language/words are the Craft.

Icing is like poetry. Now the words have color, feeling, distinction, and uniqueness.

Eat just the icing and it has no context. We've all wound ourselves into a jam, and for a while you're clearly playing motif's on Dark Star...and then the thread is gone. Maybe patience will mean it get's picked up, or maybe it's just gone.

But we must always build the Craft. If we don't return to the melody, or a motif on the melody then where do we end up. How will our bandmates keep up (unless it's just a one note vamp). How will it resolve.

Together Cake & Icing make a very fine thing indeed. Personally...I prefer pie, and for me it's all about the crust!

Now... I need just 8 more hours per day to practice, and I might get part of the way there before I tip over.
Peace
M
 #134781  by TI4-1009

mgbills wrote:Now... I need just 8 more hours per day to practice, and I might get part of the way there before I tip over.
+1 :-)

We've all heard guys that are all technique and no "soul" or content. What's the joke- "If you don't know what note to play, may as well play them all"? For me it's players like Satriani. Dazzle you with their speed and technique, but "where's the beef"?

What always played to my heart with Jerry was his love of the melody. He always started there, and usually went on to theme and variations- like Bach. But it always centered around- and returned to- the melody of the song. And he wasn't afraid of dotted whole notes!

The other thing he knew was knowing when NOT to play. Sometimes the most exquisite note that's really appropriate at that point in time is "no note".
 #134782  by jester536

I don't know if this fits in here or not...but I see a band in town from time to time and they are all good musicians and they play tons of good old rock and roll that I really dig. And every time I see them, I watch about 5 tunes...and I'm bored. I asked my buddy what he thought and he concurred...smacked me right in the middle of my chest and said, "they play with NO heart!"
 #134791  by mgbills

About 2 years after I started seeing the boys, I stopped seeing most big R&R shows. For me they became so formulaic it was just redundant. There was a Deep Purple reunion sometime in the early '80's. I loved the first show. Stellar. 2 years later they came back to the Rochester War Memorial, and played the same show.

So many bands...it's the new album + the classics + some slighly extended guitar solos but not too divergent from the original + a 3 minute drum solo...The Big Encore...and it's a rap. Ohhh, and don't forget the distended Power Balad.

Some folks can play music that's very much like the album, and add enough heart to make you cry. Gillian Welch & David Rawlings come to mind.

Cake + Heart + Icing + Space + Intent - APATHY (the greatest downer of all.)