#159893  by TI4-1009

Thanks for the link- good stuff. I was there but never saw the stage. Having been educated at Woodstock I parked on the other side of town and biked in to the track. A good move, but the bike limited my mobility once I got near the venue. I just parked in the woods and listened.
 #159909  by hippieguy1954

Thanks for sharing! Was my second time seeing The Grateful Dead and first time for The Band and Allman Bros. Was there for the sound check and the next two days. Was amazing!
 #159998  by gratefulfork

thanks for sharing! cool story. Anyone notice that the picture of Bob and Jerry seems to show Bob playing a strat style guitar (all the pegs seem to be on top) Unless i’m way off mark he was playing the 345 or SG around this time right?
Matt
 #160018  by tdcrjeff

gratefulfork wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:54 pm thanks for sharing! cool story. Anyone notice that the picture of Bob and Jerry seems to show Bob playing a strat style guitar (all the pegs seem to be on top) Unless i’m way off mark he was playing the 345 or SG around this time right?
Matt
Yeah, what is that?

#163065  by old man down

Not 100% sure, but the above photo (Weir playing a Fender) does not look like Watkins Glen Summer Jam 1973.

In fact, the above photo looks doctored.

The Dead's roadies would set up the stage the same way every time, but there would always be slight differences from concert to concert.

To be sure a given photo is from a given concert, you take the bulk of the photos that can be found Online (that match up in general) and go from there.

So, for Watkins Glen, the key identifiers for photos are the strips of tape on Keith's piano combined with the knots of wood on the back wall.

In the above photo, the piano cannot be seen to reveal the strips of tape, but the back wall can be seen.

The knots of wood do not match other photos that show both the piano tape strips and the back wall.

And then there is the phantom in the photo.

Can you find the phantom? (he's right there)
hippieguy1954 liked this
 #163067  by hippieguy1954

old man down wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:37 am Not 100% sure, but the above photo (Weir playing a Fender) does not look like Watkins Glen Summer Jam 1973.

In fact, the above photo looks doctored.

The Dead's roadies would set up the stage the same way every time, but there would always be slight differences from concert to concert.

To be sure a given photo is from a given concert, you take the bulk of the photos that can be found Online (that match up in general) and go from there.

So, for Watkins Glen, the key identifiers for photos are the strips of tape on Keith's piano combined with the knots of wood on the back wall.

In the above photo, the piano cannot be seen to reveal the strips of tape, but the back wall can be seen.

The knots of wood do not match other photos that show both the piano tape strips and the back wall.

And then there is the phantom in the photo.

Can you find the phantom? (he's right there)
+1 I was there and at many subsequent shows of that era and I was thinking the same thing(s) plus there is no electrical tape "X" on any of Phil's speakers! Goods eyes!
 #163068  by tdcrjeff

Regardless of whether or not it is actually Watkins Glen, any ideas about what the heck that funky guitar is that Bob is playing?
 #163080  by old man down

Still looking into this, trying to puzzle it out.

All evidence suggests that the above photo was Watkins Glen Summer Jam 1973. Have found some other interesting evidence and it will take a few days to assemble everything into a coherent timeline understanding.

The above photo, at this point in my understanding, was most likely from Friday, July 27, 1973. On Friday the stage was in constant flux with the Band and the Dead. Stuff was getting placed and moved around constantly. Since this would be the soundcheck, probably the first set, when it was still slightly daylight outside, you can see that things are scattered around to some extent. For example, one of Bill's drum-kit cases is on top of a speaker, and it may be that the guy to his right is a roadie, tightening things on one of his cymbal stands. The headless phantom!

From DeadBase XI, Weir just cut off his ponytail a little over a month before, and is sporting a new look. (Fred Heutte 6-30-73 review)

Let me sort this out, and I'll get back with pics. Should be interesting.
hippieguy1954 liked this