Talk about the recent Tours
 #59395  by ronster

Who's going to the Verizon center Tuesday night? Anyone know if the metro runs late if the show goes past midnight?
 #59401  by Chuckles

I can't imagine the show possibly lasting past 110 or 11:30 at the latest, but here are the final trains leaving Gallery Place/Chinatown:

http://www.wmata.com/rail/station_detai ... tion_id=21

also:
The Verizon Center, between 6th, 7th, and F Streets, NW, hosts more than 200 events a year, and is home to the Washington Capitals, Mystics, and Wizards and the Georgetown Hoyas.

Normal events are scheduled to end before midnight, allowing adequate time to use Metrorail. When the occasional delay or overtime game occurs, Metrorail service will be extended. Convenient Metrorail service is available at several stations around the Verizon Center to relieve congestion.
Don't know if this means they have extended hours for concerts or not...
 #59518  by mttourpro

here's an unconfirmed setlist from another site's message board. Looks pretty cool. I'da liked to hear the Pride of C>EW>LRR Alabama and the DStar>KSMarbles>D

I bet that was pretty sick. :hail:

I Cassidy,Passenger*,pride of cucamonga,Easy Wind*>Lazy River Road,Alabama Getaway*>Big Railroad Blues

II @Peggy-o, @Glory Road*,@Hard Rain>Drumz>jam>Dark star>King Solomon's Marbles>Drumz^>come together
E.

*Warren vox
 #59524  by Chuckles

mttourpro wrote:here's an unconfirmed setlist from another site's message board. Looks pretty cool. I'da liked to hear the Pride of C>EW>LRR Alabama and the DStar>KSMarbles>D

I bet that was pretty sick. :hail:

I Cassidy,Passenger*,pride of cucamonga,Easy Wind*>Lazy River Road,Alabama Getaway*>Big Railroad Blues

II @Peggy-o, @Glory Road*,@Hard Rain>Drumz>jam>Dark star>King Solomon's Marbles>Drumz^>come together
E.

*Warren vox
Full setlist:

I Cassidy,Passenger (group vox),pride of cucamonga,Easy Wind*>Lazy River Road,Alabama Getaway*>Big Railroad Blues (Ratdog style)

II @Peggy-o, @Glory Road*,@Hard Rain>Drumz>jam>Dark star>King Solomon's Marbles>Drumz^>come together>Sugar Mags (Tipper Gore on drums)
E. UJB Ripple

Sick sick sick sick sick sick show.

The difference between this band and when Garcia was with them? Rehearsals.
 #59527  by ronster

First set was sick as in ill, only easy wind stood out. Some sound issues until the last set. They played a short acoustic set that was unispiring and had sound issues on the dylan tune. Then things got rolling the last set was very sick indeed, dark star into kings solomon marbles was some of the best stuff I've heard the dead play since 91. Would have liked to hear warren sing some jerry ballads but it did not happen. Could have done without the beatles tune but the last 3 sing along numbers were very well played and tight indeed, nice to go home on ripple for a change.
 #59528  by Chuckles

Don't totally disagree with you Ronster, but mostly do.

Yes, the mix was poor in the 1st set. Way too loud and not enough bottom end came through (at least in our seats - top of the bottom bowl, center ice). The whole night was plagued by Bobby's vox either being too low in the mix or him not having any conviction when he sang "non-Bobby" parts... but I saw that as a plus, because he absolutely sucks at singing anything that isn't a "Bobby tune". Why they don't let Warren sing Jerry tunes is beyond me. That said, here's my piece by piece breakdown:

Cassidy: great, rippin' opener. Long jam that was absolutely nailed at every turn.

Passenger: lacked the vitality of the early ones with Donna in the mix, but Warren's slide absolutely smoked.

POC: what the hell can you say? Never thought I'd ever hear this one played live. Phil's vox were strong, Warren nailed the pedal steel riffs and the interior blues jam was Warren at home in his idiom.

Easy Wind: nice to hear Warren take a full lead vox. A little monotonous, but again, Waren in his element as a master blues guitarist.

Lazy River Road: sucked.

Alabama: seemed like they were trying to stretch it into an epic jam, but you can only do so much with I, IV, V. Still, nice interplay between Chimenti and Warren. This is when it really became so loud that the mix went to hell.

BRR: Ratdog arrangement, which mirrors the original jug-band shuffle. I thought it bopped along quite nicely, but the reprise was cheesy.

Peggy-O: Uninspiring? It was freakin' beautiful! When is the last time you saw Phil play an acoustic bass? Yeah... it wasn't an electric Jerry version... Jerry's been dead for 14 years - get over it.

Glory Road: I have no idea where this tune is from - can anybody elaborate? It was a ballad that kinda stalled in places and was too long.

Hard Rain: great sing-along. Not awesome, but certainly inoffensive.

Best part about the acoustic set was that it made the board back off the house volume a little and that really evened out the mix.

Drums 1: they called it "Rings of Saturn" on the setlist. I was hanging with my drummer and he said that it mirrored a lot of stuff on Mickey's last CD. Interesting that even the drums appear to be rehearsed. To a T. It's one of the few Drums EVER that has held my interest, as it actually had a melodic element to it.

Dark Star > KSM: DS was very exploratory and well done. Looong time to get to the verse, and then it was a bit of a letdown with Phil taking the first two lines, a few measures hanging, then Bob, then Warren taking a line. Would have much preferred Phil sing the whole thing. Again, Bob doesn't sound very good on non-Bob stuff. The KSM was absolutely dead-on, sick jamming. Warren had what I've called the "roto-vibe" thing nailed... I guess is this having him playing through a fast-turning Leslie?

Drums 2: standard Drumz

Come Together: tight, very fun. Also very unexpected. It is quite clear the boys are not going to stick to rote stuff for the tour. Nothing huge about it tho... just well done.

Sugar MAgs: Sugar Mags. Always great.

UJB: long jam. Harmonies were tight.

Ripple: wish Bobby wouldn't sing this. Emotional to hear, but Bob's not the guy to handle the lead vox, Warren or Phil should be.

In sum: Bobby shouldn't sing tunes that aren't his. Never liked him on Jerry tunes with Ratdog (unless he rearranged them like he did BRR) and he doesn't seem sure of himself. Or, maybe it's just his stuttering approach to singing (think Corrina) that throws me. But it doesn't do these songs justice. Phil even sounded way better than Bob on the vox tonight - hit every damned note with conviction. And, the harmonies were very tight, something I noticed on the G-boro recording. Too much trying to play egalitarian games with Jer's tunes; get over it and do what is best for the performance.

All that said, I was hanging with about a dozen people who I've toured with for 30 years with 1000's of shows between us and most of us playing in each others' bands... nobody thought the first set was weak. At all.
 #59539  by ronster

Yes, the mix was poor in the 1st set. Way too loud and not enough bottom end came through (at least in our seats - top of the bottom bowl, center ice). The whole night was plagued by Bobby's vox either being too low in the mix or him not having any conviction when he sang "non-Bobby" parts... but I saw that as a plus, because he absolutely sucks at singing anything that isn't a "Bobby tune". Why they don't let Warren sing Jerry tunes is beyond me. That said, here's my piece by piece breakdown:

Cassidy: great, rippin' opener. Long jam that was absolutely nailed at every turn.
Agreed except for the sound did not help and Bob's vocals were lame

Passenger: lacked the vitality of the early ones with Donna in the mix, but Warren's slide absolutely smoked.
100% agree

POC: what the hell can you say? Never thought I'd ever hear this one played live. Phil's vox were strong, Warren nailed the pedal steel riffs and the interior blues jam was Warren at home in his idiom.
Warren was great on this but not a big fan of Phil singing. Song was all over the place. Mixed emotions on that one.
Easy Wind: nice to hear Warren take a full lead vox. A little monotonous, but again, Waren in his element as a master blues guitarist.
agreed
agreed
Alabama: seemed like they were trying to stretch it into an epic jam, but you can only do so much with I, IV, V. Still, nice interplay between Chimenti and Warren. This is when it really became so loud that the mix went to hell.
well put
BRR: Ratdog arrangement, which mirrors the original jug-band shuffle. I thought it bopped along quite nicely, but the reprise was cheesy.
Love this tune, but with Bob's singing and warren didn't do anything inspiring to save it and then the reprise was a joke
Peggy-O: Uninspiring? It was freakin' beautiful! When is the last time you saw Phil play an acoustic bass? Yeah... it wasn't an electric Jerry version... Jerry's been dead for 14 years - get over it.
I did enjoy this tune but it was not great = phils singing + no jerry leads. Jerry made this tune, I want to get over it but this did not help. Phil's singing was as good has I ever heard him on this but beatiful? not
Glory Road: I have no idea where this tune is from - can anybody elaborate? It was a ballad that kinda stalled in places and was too long.
Kinda stalled from the get go until the end
Hard Rain: great sing-along. Not awesome, but certainly inoffensive.
Bob's singing (or mic issues) was not clear and phil was dropping bombs on his acoustic all over the place that were painful. Could have been decent if the sound was good.
Best part about the acoustic set was that it made the board back off the house volume a little and that really evened out the mix.

Drums 1: they called it "Rings of Saturn" on the setlist. I was hanging with my drummer and he said that it mirrored a lot of stuff on Mickey's last CD. Interesting that even the drums appear to be rehearsed. To a T. It's one of the few Drums EVER that has held my interest, as it actually had a melodic element to it.
agreed but drums will be drums.
Dark Star > KSM: DS was very exploratory and well done. Looong time to get to the verse, and then it was a bit of a letdown with Phil taking the first two lines, a few measures hanging, then Bob, then Warren taking a line. Would have much preferred Phil sing the whole thing. Again, Bob doesn't sound very good on non-Bob stuff. The KSM was absolutely dead-on, sick jamming. Warren had what I've called the "roto-vibe" thing nailed... I guess is this having him playing through a fast-turning Leslie?
agree 100% + they finnaly got the sound right
Drums 2: standard Drumz
This was a killer, after they finally get into a groove they reprise the fucking drums WTF kinda like gettting kicked in the balls after getting laid
Come Together: tight, very fun. Also very unexpected. It is quite clear the boys are not going to stick to rote stuff for the tour. Nothing huge about it tho... just well done.
Well played but I was hoping for something magical at this point and this was a major disappointment
Sugar MAgs: Sugar Mags. Always great.
+1
UJB: long jam. Harmonies were tight.
agreed
Ripple: wish Bobby wouldn't sing this. Emotional to hear, but Bob's not the guy to handle the lead vox, Warren or Phil should be.
I usually hate Bob singing jerry tunes but I liked this one plus the harmonies from warren and phil were very good on the last 3 tunes

In sum: Bobby shouldn't sing tunes that aren't his. Never liked him on Jerry tunes with Ratdog (unless he rearranged them like he did BRR) and he doesn't seem sure of himself. Or, maybe it's just his stuttering approach to singing (think Corrina) that throws me. But it doesn't do these songs justice. Phil even sounded way better than Bob on the vox tonight - hit every damned note with conviction. And, the harmonies were very tight, something I noticed on the G-boro recording. Too much trying to play egalitarian games with Jer's tunes; get over it and do what is best for the performance.

All that said, I was hanging with about a dozen people who I've toured with for 30 years with 1000's of shows between us and most of us playing in each others' bands... nobody thought the first set was weak. At all.
I was in suite with 20+ heads all with impressive resumes. A lot of disappointed people in that box until dark star. Hopefully they will get the sound worked out and let Warren take over a little bit more.
 #59540  by Emoto

Here's what a guy I know said:

I went to the show at the Verizon Center in DC last night. I am a pretty died-in-the-wool fan, but I must say, the show totally sucked. The sound system was awful - it sounded at first as if there had not been a sound check, and then I kept expecting them to adjust it, but it just continued to suck, as did the setlist.

Really bad. First set was about one hour to the minute, second set started out acoustic - you could barely even make out the melody, Weir's vocals were very weak, it was like - um, let's see - a Ratdog concert! I was surprised because The Dead's 2004 incarnation played tight, these guys last night sounded like they just escaped from a rest home, with the possible exception of Warren's guitar solo on "Alabama Getaway".

The best of the Dead's ouerve seems to be behind us. Way behind us. I listened to a broadcast of a show from Baltimore in 1978 on Sirius on the way home. Thank God for Dead radio.
 #59547  by tigerstrat

What's with all these "hanging measures" in so many songs? It's like they are climbing a hill in a jeep and all of a sudden decide to shift into neutral... I really don't get it. Oh well, I'm still very much looking forward to the Gorge, with musical expectations at or near zero.
 #59549  by mttourpro

That is a F'n shame. What a great Jerry tune.

Glory Road is a Warren tune they played in 04 once or twice.

"What's with all these "hanging measures" in so many songs? "

It's a Bob thing. He seems to like doing that in a LOT of tunes over the past few years.
It is cool on some tunes (TOO perhaps) but it is simply annoying on many others.

BTW, I read elsewhere that people thought Bob kinda lost his voice somewhat last night.

As for sound, it's clear to me from listening to Greensboro that what you hear live and what the recording sounds like are unfortunately two different things. I couldn't hear anything from Jeff in NC but he's right there on the recording. Hopefully they'll get that fixed immediately.
I will say, other than that, the sound was pretty good in NC, especially the 2nd set.

Also, as for Drums being rehersed, I did hear on Sirius' Dead station that Mickey is "using sampled sounds recorded in space" for some of the Drums....based on other's naming of the songs, people are referring to D>S more as "Stuff" (Ratdog-based), given the various mixtures of people on stage.

And, Warren does in fact use a Leslie at times---has been for a while.
 #59554  by Pete B.

I'm listening to this now.
Sounds pretty good to me on the jams on King Solomans, Sugar Mags, and UJB.
POC was good, too.... (maybe they will break out Barry Sless on Pedal Steel sometime???).
LOL.. I feel like I need to go to some kind of "Standardized Score Card" for each player/song I listen too.
Correct Use Of Tone:
% of Classic Jer licks played:
Etc...
:wink:
 #59583  by Chuckles

Just a couple of other nuggets of info:

Warren either broke a string or just wanted to switch, but he handed off the SG after a while and went to his red ES.

Also, the first "drums/jam" segment was actually prerecorded. Evidently, Mickey is taking NASA or other recordings of various interstellar phenomena and tweaking them for a brief "tour of the cosmos" segment in every show. True - read it at Dead.net. Oddly, the Dead.net review says this was some Jupiter thing, but in the band's setlist it appeared as "the rings of Saturn"...

Knowing what I know, I would have rather had the G-Boro or Charlottesville song list, but loved the playing in DC... I think that's why a lot of people were down on this show; they wanted to hear songs and they got music.
 #59609  by prephippie

ronster wrote: Drums 2: standard Drumz
This was a killer, after they finally get into a groove they reprise the fucking drums WTF kinda like gettting kicked in the balls after getting laid
:lol: Agreed. That was my main complaint about this show. Otherwise, I had a great time. It was my first time seeing the band in any form (GD, Ratdog, Phil & F, etc.).

Alabama Getaway was rockin' and the highlight of the first set for me. The second set seemed to drag in some parts IMO, but there were more highs than lows. Come Together was cool and I was singing Hard Rain on my way home from the airport today. Dark Star > KSM was on the money.
Chuckles wrote:Warren either broke a string or just wanted to switch, but he handed off the SG after a while and went to his red ES.
We were right behind Warren and I think I saw a broken string when he handed off the SG. I can't be 100% sure though.