Talk about the recent Tours
 #54933  by dpmphoto

I couldn't believe it when the info came out, having been mail ordering tickets since the early eighties. What a bunch of bullshit $1000 dollar vip packages for the yuppie and shit for the true fan. Fuck them jerry's gone and he was the band. He's rolling in his grave as mickey scrambles for retirement money and the others for college tuition how much money is enough???They've sold out there just a cover band now anyway. All I can say is thank god for the tapes. Those of you who never saw the dead and will be going make sure you enjoy your 9 dollar beers and police harassment courtesy of clear channel.SCRANTON PA THE BEST FOR RECORD ARREST.PEACE DAVID
 #54934  by Tennessee Jedi

Tell us how you really feel.
:lol:
Aw, c'mon whats a few hundred bucks to see the band ? Just money.
You still listen to tapes ? Dude its 2009.
No crap Jerry's dead - do the tickets say otherwise ?
:twisted:
Go blaze a doob and chill my man.
:D
Love
Tom Dude
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 #54942  by strumminsix

People need to chill. Y'all have 2 choices:
- Go
- Don't go

It's funny, there are alot of musicians I know who won't gig unless they net $100 per member. Did y'all ever think that maybe the boys are getting up there in the years, and it's a hassle to coordinate your life for a tour, and you neglect your families, and the supporting folks involved. Yup, maybe it's taking $100 a seat to make it worthwhile for them. Their choice and you have yours.

I find it funnier though that now after all this complaining about them not touring anymore, then they'll play together for a politician, and now it costs too much. How can anyone really complain so much about their favorite band...
 #54945  by astroman99

I think the real problem is being in an arena with 1/2 the people there being pissed off about the $$$, doesn't lend itself to a great vibe for the show! If its too much $ don't go! I saw a thing on youtube with some "deadhead chic" ranting bad about the boys, it was really disgusting. This is still my band,so watch it, and sure they want money, but they have outsourced all aspects of the tour, so their cut probably isn't as big as you think. :roll:
Anyway I have real life issues, who cares about a freaking concert, it is supposed to be fun!
 #54949  by jonarobb

I'm admittedly one of the bigger naysayers about wasting money, etc... But this is the Dead, or whats left of them. I don't think money or a price, at this point can be put on such a huge part of all our experiences. Let the yupsters buy the VIP packages. Yeah, I shelled out close to a grand to see a bunch of these shows, little steep, not because it's The Dead but just because things are tight around the household.

It's a different time money wise for musicians and fans. Expenses are higher all around. I'm sure the boys will make a pretty penny on this short tour. I have on my desk while I'm typing this an old Ticketron stub from a Jerry show from 11/6/81. The late show was a whopping $8.50. Things have definately changed....
 #54961  by Laytonco

Strummin,
I too know guys who won't play tribute Dead for less than $100. They're crazy. I have a $20 guarantee tomorrow night and $60 on Friday night. That covers 58% of the two Denver tix I bought yesterday. But hell, I'd PAY to play Grateful Dead music!

Peace,

Gil
 #54962  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

It's $1000 for those that want to spend it. If people want to, so be it. And as long as people will buy it, the producers have the right to sell it. I for one like capitalism. And so did Jerry by the way.

As the esteemed Jerrah Jones has stated "The number one rule in business is 'ask for their money' ".
 #54963  by jahozer

I dunno. I am a bit upset myself. The dead business model is a bit different than other bands.
I pay a decent amount of my entertainment dollar over a long stretch of time to various dead related concerts.
ie. Phil, Bobby, etc. If a Dead related band is at a fest, It would be a deciding factor for me.
I buy shirts, cds, dvds etc .
I have seen multiple shows a year for over 20 years. I have traveled to see them.

Part of what I respected about them is that they understood their end of that model, and so did I. The prices were relatively low, and that was cool.
I know other bands charge that much, but to me, they are charging too much as well. I also understand that its worth what people are willing to pay for it, but I am on the hook for multiple times.
Also other bands have their principle players in them. Not so with the Dead. My favorite band was the GRATEFUL DEAD, not necessarily THE DEAD. People are not paying a hundo to see the Neil Young Band without Neil Young or Crosby Steilowicz, and Smith...

I enjoy going to see the Dead, have seen them, the other ones, etc. but if I had never heard the GRATEFUL DEAD, I probably would be much less forgiving when they trainwreck, mess up lyrics, or play lackluster sets.

My wife and I wanted to go to both Philly Shows. Thats $400 just in tix. Add another 40 for parking. Add another Hundred or to for party favors, beer and food, and I am up to $600!!! 600!!

Can I afford it? Yeah. Do I want to pay it? NO! will I? Maybe. But maybe I shouldnt. Maybe I can go see a smaller band with tighter chops for a fraction of the cost. We both arent going to both shows, thats for sure. Maybe I'll be a w00k and go to the lot and get fucked up. Why the fuck not. I dont see alot of respect coming from "the other ones" so why the hell not? Do I care about the scene anymore? NOPE. That party is raging on with or with out my old ass. Do the dead care about the scene? NOPE! Maybe I will be in the right place at the right time when some schnook who paid 200 hundred for he and his old lady and she cant go.

Maybe I will decide that I have given enough to this machine. I can go to The Gathering Of the Vibes for 200 bucks and have 3 days and nights of entertainment of top acts. I can go to moe.down and have 3 days and nights of bands. I can go see PHISH for 50!!! for christs sakes!!! I mean what the fuck?!?! Those kid would have paid anything, and Phish aint taking advantage of them, and the have all of their principle players!
I may have just spent enough on these guys. Might be time for me to step off the bus. Its looking more like a hamster wheel. Especially since it seems they are so sure that I will still run it.
 #54965  by CountryMile Cadillac

I really hope everybody that spends the money to go see these shows does not have to put up with all the bitching and drama that surronds the price of the tickets. Yea it is expensive. Will they do it for another 30 years, hell no they will not. No one is forcing anyone to pay the price.

As for being a fan of Grateful Dead, then you are a fan of Bob, Bill, Mickey and Phil as well the late Jerry. They get left in the wake too often. They were the Grateful Dead as much as Jerry imo. And they know that they are not the Grateful Dead any longer as well
 #54966  by jahozer

Dude, people are allowed to voice their opinion, especially on message boards...Thats kind of the point. Its not like its all day at work, its on a dead tour board. Seems to be the appropriate place, to do so without being punked down...
 #54967  by golfnutt

I spent 90 bucks for a Floor seat at the LA Form all really wanted was to be on the floor with hopefully some room to dance. I could care less if someone is paying 5x that much to be rwo sectsions in front of me. Its not like the old day where I am buying tix to 3 days of shows its been a while and I am looking forward to a great time. Hell some of the best dead show's I've been to I never saw the band. Back in the late 80's at the Oakland collisuem they had huge banks of speakers in this large hallway everyone had all kinds of room to dance it was great!!!

BTW I totally respect those that think its too mcuh coin. It is a lot just from where I sit, for one show in my case I think its worth it.
 #54968  by High Peaks

Whatever. they played for a politician because they believe in the message. For someone who says that politics shouldn't be involved, there sure is a lot of cheap shots in the delivery.

As far as the amount for the tickets. I have to agree with the original poster. As much as i love the "Grateful Dead" i would never pay that much to see them without Jerry. As much as we like to say this and that, Jerry was the magic. The rest is all nostalgia. They are a cover band at this point. A great cover band, mind you, but not the GD!!! I just feel very blessed that i got to see the real deal quite a bit.

I love Phil and Friends. I would pay their going rate.

Ratdog not so much. If i wanted to see a lounge act i would watch Bill murray in SNL reruns.

My .02. I am a head from back in the 80's/90's. I saw over 30 shows with Jerry and about 50 shows without him in their various lineups. Only 1 show came close post Jerry with any of the members. That was 10/20 at Glens Falls with Trey( Phil and Friends) none others came close.
That includes Warren, Jimmy, Kimock, Karan, etc..... Jerry isn't there.

Thats all that matters.

All the rest is nostalgia.
Last edited by High Peaks on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.