rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Talk about the recent Tours
 #144357  by Searing75
 Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:44 am
I have never trolled a forum in my life. This is just a strong opinion I have. Am I wrong? Can't be. It's an opinion. I feel it is very close to fact. :?:
 #144358  by TI4-1009
 Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:55 am
Searing75 wrote:I have never trolled a forum in my life. This is just a strong opinion I have. Am I wrong? Can't be. It's an opinion. I feel it is very close to fact. :?:
Remember your kindergarten lessons. Play nice around here.
 #144361  by strumminsix
 Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:03 am
Searing75 wrote:Can't help it. Strong feelings. I'm kinda' nuts. It's how I feel. It's similar to the way I feel about those who don't believe in evolution. They are simply wrong. I am not comparing the bands. They are not comparable. Again, sorry all.
Searing75 wrote:I have never trolled a forum in my life. This is just a strong opinion I have. Am I wrong? Can't be. It's an opinion. I feel it is very close to fact. :?:
The sweet irony of these posts.
 #144397  by Mr.Burns
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:18 am
waldo041 wrote:
Searing75 wrote:........................Phish blows!!!!! And, they are super cheesy! There is no way that one who truly gets the Dead could like phish!!!!! No way!!!!
Ah man, that's harsh! You state this as if you are comparing the 2 as the same thing. They are not. Yes, they are lumped into the same "jam band" genre but they are 2 completely different entities. However they both do have one common thing and that is talent, they are all gifted musicians, regardless if you don't like the material. And that is what they chose Trey for, not for his bands material.

IMHO.

~waldo
Phish's music will not stand the test of time like GD music will. Talent was the last reason they chose Trey. $ is the first. Why not double down and attract some Phish kids with more $ than sense? Honestly with the stable of guitarists they have at their disposal, the deciding factor probably came down to history and politics. The lack of a tour should be enough evidence that they know this is their last chance to cash in on the hordes of people willing to fork over their cash in the name of a Grateful Dead (sort of) show. Saying that they are unfairly lumped in together glosses over the fact that Phish merely repackages the GD scene for its own gain.
 #144398  by lovetoboogie
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:54 am
Mr.Burns wrote:Saying that they are unfairly lumped in together glosses over the fact that Phish merely repackages the GD scene for its own gain.
...that is a pretty loaded evaluation of what Phish does. I am old school Phish, saw them in 89' for the first time. I only say that because their scene evolved very organically with a lot of hard work and constant touring. I blew off several Dead tours between 90'-95' and went on the road with Phish to vend, hang, make friends, travel... There were a lot of great shows in those years where Phish was crafting a scene totally unique, and a world apart from the GD scene which during those years had really unraveled. It was after Garcia died that all those bottom feeders from the GD scene hopped on Phish tour and kind of fucked it all up... I agree now that it's all one big circus of heads, jamband fans, Dead Heads, etc...

The hating that is flooding the internet seems so totally out of character for heads in general. I just assumed we come from a more elevated way of thinking and seeing... can't we just enjoy the fact that Weir, Lesh, Hart & Kreutzmann have called on Trey? Weir has announced publicly that he is very excited to play with Trey. It's going to be an excellent bunch of gigs with some really killer music...
 #144399  by Searing75
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:34 am
Killer music? I think not! We all know full well what this is going to be, and are only trying to convince ourselves otherwise because we so badly crave what Jerry and the boys gave us!

Not saying you can't enjoy yourselves at all. It will be tons of fun, I am sure. The music will be sub par is all. Go in knowing that, and enjoy.

Wow. This thing has me all torn up?!?
 #144405  by CountryMile Cadillac
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:51 pm
Searing75 wrote:Killer music? I think not! We all know full well what this is going to be, and are only trying to convince ourselves otherwise because we so badly crave what Jerry and the boys gave us!

Not saying you can't enjoy yourselves at all. It will be tons of fun, I am sure. The music will be sub par is all. Go in knowing that, and enjoy.

Wow. This thing has me all torn up?!?

Gee.. I really appreeciate you including me in your statement: for, I didn't know there was a spokesman for people who find solace, community and enlightenment in areas which one can find a personal and yet communal experience... but then again maybe the spokesman is one on of the " bottom feeders from the GD scene hopped on Phish tour and kind of fucked it all up.." of which i think is reguratated garbage... Come on kids.. quit being ridiculous with ignorant statements. As one previous comment.. I agree that you are blast to hang out with!