rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Talk about the recent Tours
 #144076  by hippieguy1954
 Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:22 am
I still think that cartoon I posted is comical (although Jerry wouldn't choke another person), but I also certainly respect the guys decisions on who they do and don't play with etc.
After all, they were The Grateful Dead! I hope everyone has an awesome time :smile:
 #144077  by SarnoMusicSolutions
 Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:22 am
For me, the absolutely greatest thing about this, hands down and by far has to do with the GROOVE of the Grateful Dead. That core rhythm engine of Phil and Bill and Bob. There is no other drummer that makes people dance to the groove pocket, that particularly deep funky thing like Kreutzman (with Phil and Bob). For me, that's worth catching a show. Those countless hundreds of hours spent dancing to the Grateful Dead, the profound experiences awakened from moving to that band in that way, it all points to Kreutzman.

And the choice between someone who sounds like Jerry vs someone who plays in that same musical spirit must have been a tough process for the boys. Personally, I get the Trey thing. He's perhaps the most capable and qualified and creative and dynamic "jam" guitarist out there who can totally, balls-out rip when it's called for. While he won't likely be very Jerry, he is apparently taking this very seriously, revisiting the entire history and catalog of his favorite band, and may really surprise people with how Dead-like his take on this may be.


Just my take.

Brad
 #144078  by lovetoboogie
 Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:52 am
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:For me, the absolutely greatest thing about this, hands down and by far has to do with the GROOVE of the Grateful Dead. That core rhythm engine of Phil and Bill and Bob. There is no other drummer that makes people dance to the groove pocket, that particularly deep funky thing like Kreutzman (with Phil and Bob). For me, that's worth catching a show. Those countless hundreds of hours spent dancing to the Grateful Dead, the profound experiences awakened from moving to that band in that way, it all points to Kreutzman.

And the choice between someone who sounds like Jerry vs someone who plays in that same musical spirit must have been a tough process for the boys. Personally, I get the Trey thing. He's perhaps the most capable and qualified and creative and dynamic "jam" guitarist out there who can totally, balls-out rip when it's called for. While he won't likely be very Jerry, he is apparently taking this very seriously, revisiting the entire history and catalog of his favorite band, and may really surprise people with how Dead-like his take on this may be.


Just my take.

Brad
Very well put...

I have always loved Phish, and Trey is super capable... He's also a hardcore head. I got inspired when I read that he is doing his homework and digging into the early stuff...gonna be practicing with Weir...It's gonna be great!
 #144080  by NQL
 Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:28 am
WTF Hitler? Total vibe killer!!!!
 #144081  by amyjared
 Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:27 pm
Well, looks like I'm going to Chicago for the 4th of July. One last hurrah, one last Road Trip to bring closure to this long, strange trip. I don't think I have a choice in this one. This old hippie is coming out of retirement for one last time! Look out!!
 #144082  by TI4-1009
 Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:59 pm
Utah Joe wrote:Speaking of Dead-related humor, this is hilarious.

http://youtu.be/FTBZuulCoPo
Excellent! Ha!
hippieguy1954 wrote:although Jerry wouldn't choke another person
Right. Just ask Phil about the time Jer threw him down the stairs... :lol:
 #144105  by wfrobinette
 Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:00 pm
$215 tickets($645) + $400+/night hotel($1200 - $1500) + $400 Plane Ticket + Ridiculous crowds and traffic on the 4th + The youngsters there to Party = I'm passing and hoping for a webcast.
 #144127  by strumminsix
 Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:25 am
wfrobinette wrote:$215 tickets($645) + $400+/night hotel($1200 - $1500) + $400 Plane Ticket + Ridiculous crowds and traffic on the 4th + The youngsters there to Party = I'm passing and hoping for a webcast.
I live 45 mins from the event and likely passing. I wish it was any other weekend. July 4th has Taste of Chicago bringing in millions daily + events at Navy Pier + hottest weekend of year. Travel will be a nightmare for everyone involved. Unless you plan on staying downtown and walking be prepared for long days. Chicago doesn't have the public transportation infrastructure to handle all 3 at once.
 #144131  by Coldshotblues
 Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:31 pm
They Moved Taste of Chicago it is no longer on the 4th. its the 8th-12th. there is plenty to do in the area of soldier field two parks, a beach and several museums if its too hot to stay outside all day. I live only 45min away myself, getting a 2 night stay at the Hilton and hoping for easy ticket purchase. Strum I would rethink not attending at least one show. especially being in your backyard. You might regret this last chance for a long time.
 #144136  by Poor Peter
 Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:47 pm
dleonard wrote:Strum where am I going for deep dish?

Lou Malnatis. The Best. Period, end of story.
 #144137  by Mr.Burns
 Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:06 pm
NQL wrote:WTF Hitler? Total vibe killer!!!!
That's one of the best Downfall vids I've ever seen. Didn't kill my vibe. It sucks when humor falls on deaf ears.
lovetoboogie wrote:
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:For me, the absolutely greatest thing about this, hands down and by far has to do with the GROOVE of the Grateful Dead. That core rhythm engine of Phil and Bill and Bob. There is no other drummer that makes people dance to the groove pocket, that particularly deep funky thing like Kreutzman (with Phil and Bob). For me, that's worth catching a show. Those countless hundreds of hours spent dancing to the Grateful Dead, the profound experiences awakened from moving to that band in that way, it all points to Kreutzman.

And the choice between someone who sounds like Jerry vs someone who plays in that same musical spirit must have been a tough process for the boys. Personally, I get the Trey thing. He's perhaps the most capable and qualified and creative and dynamic "jam" guitarist out there who can totally, balls-out rip when it's called for. While he won't likely be very Jerry, he is apparently taking this very seriously, revisiting the entire history and catalog of his favorite band, and may really surprise people with how Dead-like his take on this may be.


Just my take.

Brad
Very well put...

I have always loved Phish, and Trey is super capable... He's also a hardcore head. I got inspired when I read that he is doing his homework and digging into the early stuff...gonna be practicing with Weir...It's gonna be great!
I can't help being reminded of "new" Coke, and how it renewed everyone's appreciation of Coke Classic. Well played, Coca-Cola Cooperation, well played. :x

Edit: I'm 90 minutes from Soldier and I'm passing for the same reasons as all the other old farts. Like strum said, the city is still gonna be a madhouse bcuz of the 4th.
 #144139  by jx2638
 Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:46 pm
Aren't the 'youngsters' now 40?

Nonetheles, it's a can't miss...and Orioles v White Sox is just a bonus.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 8