Chat about Equipment Info
 #89904  by sants

I am looking at hooking up a strat I have until I can muster up the cash to get a custom guitar. My strat body has the big canoe cutout and I dont mind hacking it. I want to be able to get a good Jerry sound at times but more so want a nice clear, thick, and full sound from a humbucker. I like to play clean and also like jazzy and full clean tones. Also like to have heavy bottom end for some stuff. My question is how would a Super 2 or super distortion work for me? I would run s/h/h or h/h/h. Haven't made up my mind yet.

I am just looking to run the pickups with coil taps for now and not going all out on the electronics yet.

I really like the sound of the gibson 57 bucker because it is nice and clear and sounds great when rolling back the volume. Will the super distortion or super 2 get me what I am looking for. I know the gibson is alnico and the tone will be different but really like the biting cleans of the dimarzios.

That being said which dimarzio do I want?
 #89905  by playingdead

I would put a Super 2 in the middle position, and the humbucker of your choice in the bridge.

My new guitar has a Lollar Imperial in the bridge, which I like a lot, and the Super 2 in the middle just for the Jerry stuff. No rule says they have to match.

In fact, my neck pickup is a single-spaced Duncan Lil '59, which is actually a mini humbucker based on a PAF. It sounds really good in that position, better than I expected. Going that route, I was able to stay SHH but still have a splittable humbucker at the neck.
 #89932  by JonnyBoy

I chose the 36th annv. PAF's Diamarzio's and happy I did. Vic is right, almost all the Jerry you could ever use is in the middle pickup. I really like the PAF's.
 #89940  by tigerstrat

Super in middle and the OEM pup set of Duncan JB & Jazz at bridge and neck is working out just fine for me on my Schecter.
 #124588  by one eyed jack

I am looking to do the same thing to my back up guitar which is a mexican strat....Will I have to gut the body to fit the Super2s in? Right now its sss, I haven't taken the pick guard off to look or been able to find anything online about the size of the pick up cavity in these guitars?
 #124625  by tcsned

In all likelihood you will have to do some routing to fit a hum bucker. It is possible that the guitar has a "universal rout" meaning that the cavity is pretty much hollow and can fit either single coil or humbuckers but for a Mexi I doubt it. Unscrew the pickguard and look, it'll be pretty obvious.