rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #77658  by jmfranc
 Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:18 pm
Anyone know what strap this is? Image

I like it because it's stretchy and has clips. I am up in the air about what type of strap I want for my Tiger. I might go the worn leather strap like Garcia used in the 70's.

Anyone have one that they like a lot? Open to suggestions...
 #77660  by waldo041
 Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:55 pm
that's a Wand Guitar Strap, no longer made.

i like the comfort strapp, pretty much the same idea.

http://www.comfortstrapp.com/

peace,
waldo
 #77661  by Capt Rosebuddy
 Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:03 pm
http://dozin.com/wand/wand.htm

They don't make 'em any more.

I have a neoprene strap that is nice on my back when I play my Les Paul for extended periods of time but really I favor Levy's straps, they make tons of different kinds
and are really well made, but alas neither has clips. And although the Tiger didn't have them I'd strongly recommend Shaller Strap Locks, I use them on mycheepo
Garcia guitar.
 #77665  by Grant
 Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:58 pm
what about the alligator/ wolf strap?
 #77666  by jackr
 Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:37 pm
Capt Rosebuddy wrote: I'd strongly recommend Shaller Strap Locks

+1

I have shallers on some of my guitars and dunlops on some others. The dunlops are easier to remove but I think the Shallers are the strongest.

Strap locks are a MUST. And you must periodically check them to make sure the nuts are tight. My rhythm guitar player broke his les paul neck 2 times already. He now heeds that advise.
 #77678  by Maybeck09
 Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 am
I'll second the Comfort Strap. I have a really heavy Ibanez that I love the sound of but find it really tiresome to play for long times. This strap was the best I could find. This one has the neoprine and is reinforced by the ribbon material. I also have a straight neoprine that I got off ebay as a current Wand strap, ( as stated Wands are no more) and while comfortable it lacks the strength of the reinforced Comfort Strap. The guitar kind of bungies around, which takes some getting used too.

As for leather I have a couple of Franklin Straps which come 3 or 4" wide and in cool shades. Well made and no cheezy logo on the strap for me to advertise for them.
 #77691  by jdsmodulus
 Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:00 am
I bought a bunch of those Wand knock-offs from Ebay a few years ago, They work great for my acoustics, but they are too long for my electrics, I am considerably tall as well. I use the Dimarzio locking strap for electric. And strap locks too they are a MUST!
 #77704  by NeebruM
 Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am
I had a guy down here by Cuba make me a leather one to my specs with a sheepskin padded shoulder part sewn with a gigantic thread machine! He's really good and tooled it a little as well. Don's music in Cuba. WORTH the money I think.

A couple of strap locks and I'm fit for a LONG time...
 #85198  by JonnyBoy
 Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:10 pm
It looks like they re using the neoprene for a pad rather than a stretch like material, but it does mention a stretch area, it should do about the same. I still think the leather straps are the comfy ones. Levi's +1