Chat about Equipment Info
 #140083  by jester536

I've got a custom guitar with Tiger wiring. It's been working fine for years. Recently I've been having some mysterious dropouts. Very brief...and seemingly impossible to get to repeat. We've gone through the cords pretty extensively and they seem to be fine. I've got a Strat with the same wiring and that seems to be working fine...so I'm blaming the guitar (the custom). We're planning on going through the whole thing slowly and meticulously but I thought I'd put it out there.
There is a buffer in there...not a Waldo....going to be changing that...but has anyone experienced something like this? Could it be the buffer? ...bad capacitors...pots? Any thoughts.
Thanks in advance.
 #140086  by milobender

In my experience this sort of problem has always been mechanical... a short, or open, that happens when the cable or guitar is in one special position... I had a jack one time that did that only when I was holding the guitar a certain way, moved a certain way, never could reproduce it on demand, but finally noticed a pattern. I've also had cables that were broken on the inside, that stayed in contact most of the time, but again, opened when twisted or moved a very specific way.