Chat about Equipment Info
 #138790  by Diggey

Thanks for responding so quickly. The Carvin is a great option and I appreciate you bringing it up. I'm a bit of a dud when it comes to all of the rack gear and suck. I was a Soldano head and separate cab or a Fender Combo man but want to branch out.

You mention rack space....... can I simply get a case for 3 and put both the Fyd and the Carvin in it and be good or should I consider a larger one? Is it because they will overheat? Does it matter if I have a larger one? What do you do with the empty spaces, just use those covers to hide?

Again, I appreciate the help. I'm trying to figure out my potential spend and piece it together.

BTW, does Mcintosh make new power amps or is it strictly vintage/used gear? Just wondering.

Thanks again
 #138801  by PurpleTrails

Diggey wrote:Thanks for responding so quickly. The Carvin is a great option and I appreciate you bringing it up. I'm a bit of a dud when it comes to all of the rack gear and suck. I was a Soldano head and separate cab or a Fender Combo man but want to branch out.

You mention rack space....... can I simply get a case for 3 and put both the Fyd and the Carvin in it and be good or should I consider a larger one? Is it because they will overheat? Does it matter if I have a larger one? What do you do with the empty spaces, just use those covers to hide?

Again, I appreciate the help. I'm trying to figure out my potential spend and piece it together.

BTW, does Mcintosh make new power amps or is it strictly vintage/used gear? Just wondering.

Thanks again
Yeah, McIntosh still makes amps...very expensive amps designed for home stereo and AV system applications. The MC302 is the smallest of their current solid state amps at 2 channels 300 watts. Retail price on that is $5500 new. Their smallest monoblock is rated at 1200 watts. I shudder to think how much it must cost.
 #138808  by Diggey

Yeah, that is pricey and would likely rattle fillings and pant legs. Thanks, I've never really been around folks that had rack gear. So this is all new territory. I am basically after a big clean Fender Twin tone and can color with effects. So I can achieve some Allman and other tones. I love jerry and seek some of his tone but not a dead on clone.

Thanks for all the input and I welcome more
 #139050  by Bobbybriand

Jon S. wrote:The ex-owner of the co. said things were better under her ... wow, that's a shock.

Speaking for myself, I'm glad I spent the extra few bucks on the P-1800 AR which is a voltage regulator, not a mere power conditioner. It pays for itself at outdoor gigs where outlets are scarce.

Hey John I love the case style rack to go. They look awesome and convenient. Don't you worry about the rocktron over heating in there? Do you have some type of ventillation. That's what I use and really wish the V300 would have the fans on the back like my 2300. I have blank 6u above before sarno and 2u between sarno and furman. Just paranoid of overheating I guess.
 #139694  by JDB30

I've actually doing some research on this very topic: Power Conditioning. It seems that a lot of us use this term incorrectly---a typical Furman Power Unit generally doesn't do what professional studio electricians consider to actually "condition" the power. I've been researching this because I have a pretty expensive Furman and, while it works fine as a surge protector, it doesn't clean the power to my rack & pedals. Here's an excellent interview that someone from another board sent to me, which I think explains what a lot of us are missing: that "conditioning" power really means to try to get the electrical current as near to a pure sine wave as possible by isolating it from other circuits which have "dirty power" as a result of many, many factors including things like light dimmers, computers, refrigerators, etc. For anyone who's serious about getting a great sound from their gear, this is must-viewing:

http://mixonline.com/video/mixtv/record ... grounding/

The guy in this interview actually has his own line of products that seem to be way more advanced than anything I've seen. They are studio quality: http://www.ground1.com/products.htm

I actually have an electrician coming by tomorrow to see if he can isolate the circuit that I plug my gear into so as to try and provide the cleanest possible power, thus eliminating as much environmental hiss & hum as possible.
 #139703  by strummingturtle

If you are going to gig outside or in some old buildings it is worth having one.
Also it cleans up your rack nicely, plenty of outlets on the back and one switch on the front to turn everything on
Cheers
 #139786  by Bobbybriand

These guys just need an MC2300. I havent heard a hum come through my mac in the crappiest of places. The rocktron is a diff story. I get a volume hum in the same places with my velocity 300 n my K's. Mac with 3 E's cranked, guitar volume on half standing right beside the mac zero hum.
They need to create a huminator for multi input usage. In the old days they used to sell mini ones for car stereos to eliminate the up n down hum from your gas pedal reving the alternator. It was like a small box with an in and out screw down to be placed on your main AC line to your stereo. Inside the hum eliminator it was wound like a pickup with slightly heavier gauge red wire. The basic philosophy behind it was the current would travel around n around and lose all the garbage in the line along the way.
A nice multi outlet either rack mounted or like a computer tower on the ground by your power outlet your using that day and plug your furman into that.
 #139787  by hippieguy1954

I've had good results plugging the Furman into this in certain situations.
 #139790  by Bobbybriand

Does that little device have a power limit? I had a similar unit and even built a huminator for my pedals. I found that the more devices youre using on the chain the power will start to dim or weaken. That little gizmo just has a certain freq capacitor crossed to ground to eliminate any garbage on the line. Much rather prefer a coil winding per input as mentioned above. From what I can remember it was clean as can be in a generating environment. Would work wonders if built correctly and handle each musicians entire gear.
 #139799  by hippieguy1954

Like I said, I have had good results with it in certain situations such as when using power sources in old buildings with old refrigerators, old florescent lights and the like on the same circuit I had to plug into. It did eliminate a lot of the noise. There is no doubt about that. It does work.
It certainly isn't going to be the fix all for every hum situation, but it's very handy to have in a pinch. No affiliation, BTW.
 #139800  by James-T

OK I'm being lazy here, but I nee to ask a quick question.

I'm running a band event in August at my water access only remote retreat up the coast here in BC and have an el chaepo King (made in China) 4500 watt generator.

What do I need in front of my amp and electronics to protect them from the power source from the generator. Anything?