Chat about Equipment Info
 #115139  by guitarcats

Hello, I am looking for a close up shot of the back of the headstock. I tried looking online but cant find anything good. I am looking for either an original picture or one of the kind folk who has a Moriarty wolf.
 #115141  by TI4-1009

#115147  by TI4-1009

Not enough resolution. Try Andrew Olsen (AO Guitars)? He had Wolf in his shop at one point.
 #115156  by guitarcats

TI4-1009 wrote:Image

Not enough resolution. Try Andrew Olsen (AO Guitars)? He had Wolf in his shop at one point.
Waldo just hooked me up with a close up shot. Is there anything he won't do for a fellow head and music lover? :hail:
 #115158  by TI4-1009

Waldo?! I remember Waldo.... :cry:
 #129515  by broesau

Is that # 001? What about Eagle, or is that considered an Alembic? I wonder if Wolf had the D.Irwin name on it when it was first given to Jerry? Probably not since it originally had the Alembic logo. The other question is, where did you get that picture? Looks like it's backstage somewhere.
 #129536  by jalevinemd

broesau wrote:Is that # 001? What about Eagle, or is that considered an Alembic? I wonder if Wolf had the D.Irwin name on it when it was first given to Jerry? Probably not since it originally had the Alembic logo. The other question is, where did you get that picture? Looks like it's backstage somewhere.
Eagle was not an Alembic. It was built by Stephen Cripe, the luthier who made Lightning Bolt and Top Hat. Not sure if it was actually finished before he died or if the guys at Resurrection finished it.
 #137152  by TI4-1009

Does the scroll photo above say 001 or 006 or..?

From Dozin's Garcia guitar timeline:

"72- cont. Garcia bought the first guitar Doug Irwin ever made for $850 (known as 001) and ordered another one custom-made.

In May '73 he received the his first custom Doug Irwin (Sonoma, CA)--the "Wolf" he paid $1,500. (Garcia gave Irwin's 001 to original Dead road crew member Ramrod. Garcia gave away a lot of guitars.)"

From the Bonham's "Eagle" auction info:

"small brass placard on back of headstock reads "D. Irwin 025;" back body panel has three inlays (two silver symbols plus the Alembic Studios logo) as well as the serial number which reads "GD [Grateful Dead] 025;"

This was the first guitar completed by Doug Irwin, who states that the "GD025" serial number is indeed his first complete guitar.

Although this was Irwin's first complete guitar (and Garcia's first custom-made guitar), the serial numbers did not start with #1, but rather with "GD025" for "Grateful Dead." Garcia played this guitar for about two years and then gifted it to Ram Rod in 1973."