Chat about Equipment Info
 #115837  by Mosfed

paulinnc wrote:I have been really into low wattage amps lately. I have been looking into picking up a champ 600 or a BH little Giant and doing the mercury magnetic mods.

What low wattage amps do you like to play? Got any recommendations?
I had a Vox AC4-TV amp as a practice amp for a while - You could switch btwn 4,1, and 1/4 watts. Great little amp.
 #115921  by drewfx

Mosfed wrote: I had a Vox AC4-TV amp as a practice amp for a while - You could switch btwn 4,1, and 1/4 watts. Great little amp.
I picked up the littlest version of that one at the beginning of the year (4, 1, 1/10 watt).

Great sounding and inexpensive little amp.
 #116393  by JonnyBoy

I bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 3 a few months back, its 30 watts and super versatile. I've had it long enough to really understand it and to give it a thorough review. I have come to like the amp more as time goes on. You can basically switch between a clean channel that has incredible chime with only a volume knob (set gain), (not all that Jerry tho), but super beautiful, clean headroom/volume for days before getting dirty. Its a really nice, round, but a more modern Fender style tube amp tone. The second channel runs the circuit like a old school deluxe, but with a master volume and gain knobs, which is helpful for low volume playing. This is where you actually get the Jerry tone I finally discovered. The "More Drive" button is basically a booster in line that pushes the front end, from what I can tell. It has some uses too.

What's cool, is playing around with it and keeping an open mind to what some setting might do. it has a presence knob, bright switch, awesome Fender reverb as usual, and a full 3 pot tone stack. There are so many usable tones and ways to tweak, unlike my 65 twin that does it's one trick pony really well at a loud volume. I am really digging on the master all the way up and gain as the "volume knob" like a vintage amp would be. Quite a few styles of clipping you can squeeze from it too. Add some pedals to unlock a killer dirty tone on the clean channel for blues, gets kinda VOXy too. It is seriously an underrated guitar amp.

The effects loop allows you to use it as a dual 6L6 tube power amp only if you wanna use an SMS or POD, etc... Changing the speaker is a must IMO. If I were Fender I would be considering using some better speakers in some models because it makes the amps SOOO much better sounding. Their upgrade limited editions (which I got) with a Celeston was better than the stock eminence they have in the standard version, but it still lacks the headroom factor we all seem to like in our styles of playing. It also seems to round and smooth out the OD on it too. They also use a "premium" set of Groove Tubes in it. Total price $499 new.

I really had faith that it would sound awesome once I learned how to use it and replaced the speaker with a JBL K120. I'm pretty happy I made the gamble. At first I really hated the OD and only liked one setting I could find through my 3-4 trips to the music store. Now I find new tones all the time I dig jamming with. Again, as it goes with all gear, your mileage may vary.....
 #116414  by strumminsix

JonnyBoy wrote:I bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 3 a few months back, its 30 watts and super versatile. I've had it long enough to really understand it and to give it a thorough review. I have come to like the amp more as time goes on. You can basically switch between a clean channel that has incredible chime with only a volume knob (set gain), (not all that Jerry tho), but super beautiful, clean headroom/volume for days before getting dirty. Its a really nice, round, but a more modern Fender style tube amp tone. The second channel runs the circuit like a old school deluxe, but with a master volume and gain knobs, which is helpful for low volume playing. This is where you actually get the Jerry tone I finally discovered. The "More Drive" button is basically a booster in line that pushes the front end, from what I can tell. It has some uses too.

What's cool, is playing around with it and keeping an open mind to what some setting might do. it has a presence knob, bright switch, awesome Fender reverb as usual, and a full 3 pot tone stack. There are so many usable tones and ways to tweak, unlike my 65 twin that does it's one trick pony really well at a loud volume. I am really digging on the master all the way up and gain as the "volume knob" like a vintage amp would be. Quite a few styles of clipping you can squeeze from it too. Add some pedals to unlock a killer dirty tone on the clean channel for blues, gets kinda VOXy too. It is seriously an underrated guitar amp.

The effects loop allows you to use it as a dual 6L6 tube power amp only if you wanna use an SMS or POD, etc... Changing the speaker is a must IMO. If I were Fender I would be considering using some better speakers in some models because it makes the amps SOOO much better sounding. Their upgrade limited editions (which I got) with a Celeston was better than the stock eminence they have in the standard version, but it still lacks the headroom factor we all seem to like in our styles of playing. It also seems to round and smooth out the OD on it too. They also use a "premium" set of Groove Tubes in it. Total price $499 new.

I really had faith that it would sound awesome once I learned how to use it and replaced the speaker with a JBL K120. I'm pretty happy I made the gamble. At first I really hated the OD and only liked one setting I could find through my 3-4 trips to the music store. Now I find new tones all the time I dig jamming with. Again, as it goes with all gear, your mileage may vary.....
Thanks for that review, Jonnyboy. To be clear, the HRDx is 40 watts.

Really nice to hear that they improved on it so much. I had one 10 years back and tried all sorts of ways to make it better and just couldn't. It felt like it had so much potential but couldn't realize it that it drove me nuts.
 #116479  by Friesman

I posted this but really think you should consider Emery Sound- It's an incredible amp and Curt is completely reliable..

Extremely satisfying rig for home use, recording and small clubs..
http://www.emerysound.com/Superbaby.html

6-12 Watt Class A Amp that self biases to a wide variety of tubes..I can play my tiger through the classic and use the superbaby as a power amp only with big fender tubes. Or plug direct to the superbaby, switch up some tubes and have a marshall sound in minutes..it's awesome..

tx,
friesman
 #116481  by mijknahs

Friesman wrote:6-12 Watt Class A Amp that self biases to a wide variety of tubes..
I'm interested in the "self biasing" aspect of the Emery amp. How is this possible? That is amazing that you can go from 6V6 to 6L6 to KT88 and not have to bias, flip a switch or change anything. I just don't understand how this can be done. Is it because it is only class A?

Frenzel also makes some cool low wattage tube amps (cheap too):
http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page22.php
http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page20.php
 #116485  by Friesman

mijknahs wrote:
Friesman wrote:6-12 Watt Class A Amp that self biases to a wide variety of tubes..
I'm interested in the "self biasing" aspect of the Emery amp. How is this possible? That is amazing that you can go from 6V6 to 6L6 to KT88 and not have to bias, flip a switch or change anything. I just don't understand how this can be done. Is it because it is only class A?

Frenzel also makes some cool low wattage tube amps (cheap too):
http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page22.php
http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/page20.php
I have no idea how it self biases..over my pay grade but still the amp is so fun and organic to play. Just one knob for tone and clean, natural and boost switch- Read a bit on the emery site and I can load a quick demo of the sound on youtube if you want..
 #117915  by Mosfed

I have a pair of Balanced Audio Technology VK-60 mono blocks in my home stereo that self bias. I asked the designer how it works and it's basically a loop that reads the bias at the output from the power tubes and self adjusts it to whatever setting you desire. So if you like your is hot, II set it that way, etc. really quite clever
 #120337  by Stella Bloo

I just recieved the Emery Sound "Microbaby" and it is a blast to play in a bedroom setting. It is 1-2 watts of tube driven sound and gives a great organic, tube sound. It looks very cool too! It is perfect for playing while the family is watching T.V. or even sleeping. You can get beautiful clean tube sound as well as tube breakup at low volume settings. Curt is delightful to work with and will answer all of your questions. I can't recommend it enough. Of course, I also have the SMS-Velocity 300-JBL setup for the Jerry thing, but the Microbaby is certaintly finding its place in my playing.
 #120357  by paulinnc

Those Emery amps look really nice, I like how he offers the extra set of tubes so you can mix and match and try things out. Just curious, how does the amp do with pedals?
 #120917  by Stella Bloo

It takes pedals fine, although at low watts, you get that tube breakup pretty early but that's the point. I find myself not using much in the way of pedals with the Emery as the tube overdrive happens very naturally.

I am very happy with the purchase, definatly something to check out if you are looking for low watt, tube solutions.
 #121099  by Mosfed

I love a good Fender champ. The 600 is a great amp through an external cab - the 6" speaker is a bit too small.

You can get a blackface Fender Champ gbase for around $700. Unreal value. I played a 68 SG through the Clapton Champ at GC this past weekend and was very impressed.
 #121472  by paulinnc

Speaking of low wattage tube amps a friend of mine is getting ready to move from Chapel Hill to NYC and he is selling off a bunch of gear. He is a stand up guy who takes very good care of his stuff, a lot of it has never been outside of his apartment. He posted an ad on CL and I thought I would post the link if anyone is interested. I will also post this in the Garage sale section.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/3431947161.html