#6413  by strumminsix

I dig the 70s speedy versions....

But I never understood why Hunter referred to grenadine as liquor. It's pomegranite juice with sugar. No liquor. But often used in alcoholic drinks.

Or was the woman dusty but her liquor was clean...

#6414  by caspersvapors

i just realized I posted this in the wrong forum oh well

#6417  by strumminsix

Don't worry, there no such word as equiptment anyway.

#6418  by caspersvapors

lol I never noticed that

#6425  by nedcat

One of my favorites for sure. Our KB player really shines on that tune. The lyrics are vintage early Americana Robert Hunter at his best. An inspiring and deep melodic song no matter which era the Dead played it in. :o

#6427  by maximinus

One of those that is more fun to play then listen to.

Often I find that songs I really like to hear are not as fun to play e.g., Dark Star, The Eleven, Victim or the Crime..

Actually, all those are pretty tricky songs eh?

#6428  by steve

definitely been a fav of mine for awhile now. i think the opening riff is actually the first dead i tried to learn. i always enjoy putting it on and jamming along
 #6435  by lyghtningod

When I jam with a non dead head buddy, Brown-Eyed Women is one that he always wants to do. Don't know why.

#6437  by Billbbill

I'll take your word for it, that it's been up there for a while, haven't really noticed myself until you mentioned it.

It does seem a little strange.

#11338  by GreatNorthSpecial

strumminsix wrote:I dig the 70s speedy versions....

But I never understood why Hunter referred to grenadine as liquor. It's pomegranite juice with sugar. No liquor. But often used in alcoholic drinks.

Or was the woman dusty but her liquor was clean...

I believe Hunter was reffering to the grenadine IN the liquor...make it red or "that red-eyed gin"

#11339  by b weird

I believe Hunter was reffering to the grenadine IN the liquor...make it red or "that red-eyed gin"
The song goes:
Code: Select all
"Brown eyed women in red grenadine the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean."
I think Hunter says the WOMEN were in the grenadine not the grenadine was in the liquor. P.S. This is my 100th post!!!!!

#11340  by strumminsix

b weird wrote:
The song goes:
"Brown eyed women in red grenadine the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean."
I think Hunter says the WOMEN were in the grenadine not the grenadine was in the liquor. P.S. This is my 100th post!!!!!
Actually, the lyrics are:
Brown eyed women and red grenadine
the bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean
http://arts.ucsc.edu/GDead/AGDL/brown.html

My best guess is that in the second line he is not talking about the grenadine but the woman. As in she might look or be a bit older but but she's still got it if you know what I mean...

#13056  by jjbankhead

definately one of my faves. I have checked it a few times from here so i might well be responsible for some of its popularity... The Europe 72 version of this song is one of my faves. since my 1st copy was one that i copied (w/out the songlists) from a friend, i forever assumed the song was called Delilah Jones...

#13060  by ronster

Always a favorite of mine to hear and also play. Grenadine rhymes with clean, most likely was enough for Hunter. Not sure he deliberated weather anyone in a newsgroup on the internet would be analyzing his choice in words for alcoholic content 35 years after he wrote it.