#62734  by NashvilleMike

Come on guys...let's be cool with each other. I must stand up for Strumminsix. He has always been very decent and polite as far as I've seen (as has everyone on RUkind). The thing is, a lot of people on here are pro caliber musicians and if you want to discuss music with them you should -on your own- learn the basics so you can discuss it intelligently. There are tons of folks that want the tabs without any thought to theory or musicianship. Memorizing tabs does not make you a guitar player. Now everyone - chill out, go smoke a j and run your modes.
 #62735  by Mick

NashvilleMike wrote:I must stand up for Strumminsix. He has always been very decent and polite as far as I've seen (as has everyone on RUkind). The thing is, a lot of people on here are pro caliber musicians and if you want to discuss music with them you should -on your own- learn the basics so you can discuss it intelligently. There are tons of folks that want the tabs without any thought to theory or musicianship. Memorizing tabs does not make you a guitar player. Now everyone - chill out, go smoke a j and run your modes.
Decent and polite? He wrote in his post "Surely I may sound like an ass", and all I did was agree with him that he did. If you people feel that I "don't know the basics" to your satisfaction, here's an idea: don't respond to my posts or questions. You don't owe me anything and I am damn sure I don't owe you anything. As far as "Pro-level", the guy could be one of the greatest guitarists ever for all I know, but when he cries and gets in a tizzy because he insulted someone and that someone didn't thank him to his satisfaction for it, let's just say he's not the kind of guy I would want to sit around and have a few beers with.

As far as tabs: I don't think about tabs when I play. When I was first starting out, I did, but it quickly became an exercise in rote memorization. I suggested tab as a communication tool, because seemingly all guitar players understand that. I do fine with reading scale or talking intervals too.
 #62737  by sack the wack

Uh, going back to the pinky, I think CaspersV said back when I originally posted this a yr. ago to throw in a quick G-C-G. Thus the pinky that TJ points out. If I'm correct, I think that makes it a Gsus4?
I myownself could use a few lessons but I soak up all the theory or licks you guys post even when it flies by me and when you talk electronics....... :?
I just wanna add that I come to this site everyday as a respite from all the bullshit in my life. There's all kind of folks here and I know it pushes me to work harder when I hear what some of you guys are up to. Gotta admit, when Strummin was going D5 D6 G5 C5, I was ready to go, "Hike".
 #62738  by tigerstrat

sack the wack wrote: Gotta admit, when Strummin was going D5 D6 G5 C5, I was ready to go, "Hike".
You sank my battleship!!! :cry: :mad:
 #62740  by strumminsix

NashvilleMike wrote:Come on guys...let's be cool with each other. I must stand up for Strumminsix. He has always been very decent and polite as far as I've seen (as has everyone on RUkind). The thing is, a lot of people on here are pro caliber musicians and if you want to discuss music with them you should -on your own- learn the basics so you can discuss it intelligently. There are tons of folks that want the tabs without any thought to theory or musicianship. Memorizing tabs does not make you a guitar player. Now everyone - chill out, go smoke a j and run your modes.
Thanks, NashVegasMike! I reread my statement again and stand behind it!

I'm bowing out of this thread. I've probably already overstepped my bounds as an admin here. But I'll say this, anyone who gets so upset with being told nicely that you need to learn some more of the basics probably needs 2 of those J's you mentioned...

Mick, that was a suggestion to help you! Be a better player! Understand nuances! Communicate better to non-guitar players in bands! Talk to dudes that know their theory! Transpose on the fly! Think about the guitar differently! Be a better bandmate!

I'll say it again...

"Bro, seriously, gotta google some of this stuff and bone up! Surely I may sound like an ass but it will help you get to the next level."
 #62741  by Mick

strumminsix wrote:I'm bowing out of this thread. I've probably already overstepped my bounds as an admin here. But I'll say this, anyone who gets so upset with being told nicely that you need to learn some more of the basics probably needs 2 of those J's you mentioned...
Sure looked to me like you were the only one who was upset. Some dude on the internet thinks I'm stupid and that I don't know the basics about guitar.....yawn. I read and post on message boards to fill dead time at work and in my leisure time as that allows. If I learn a thing or two along the way, great. The day I start getting "upset" because some guy calls me names, claims to know what I do and don't know when he's never met me, or tries to get my goat in any other way, is the day I need to find another leisure-time activity.
Mick, that was a suggestion to help you! Be a better player! Understand nuances! Communicate better to non-guitar players in bands! Talk to dudes that know their theory! Transpose on the fly! Think about the guitar differently! Be a better bandmate!

I'll say it again...

"Bro, seriously, gotta google some of this stuff and bone up! Surely I may sound like an ass but it will help you get to the next level."
So now you've said it twice "I may sound like an ass", so you know you were sounding like an ass, but then you are upset when I agreed with you. That is a curiosity, but one I am not likely to spend another 2 seconds pondering.

In all seriousness, thank you for taking the time to write out more specifically what you were saying for me.

I'm done with this one too.
 #62746  by sack the wack

tigerstrat wrote:
sack the wack wrote: Gotta admit, when Strummin was going D5 D6 G5 C5, I was ready to go, "Hike".
You sank my battleship!!! :cry: :mad:

Uh, you're right bro but I did it with kindness!
 #62749  by b weird

NashvilleMike you forgot the most overlooked southern rock group EVER, Blackfoot. They were a band from the south that had a southern/metal sound and were really good. Get their album "Strikes" to hear what I'm talking about.
 #62762  by NashvilleMike

b weird wrote:NashvilleMike you forgot the most overlooked southern rock group EVER, Blackfoot. They were a band from the south that had a southern/metal sound and were really good. Get their album "Strikes" to hear what I'm talking about.
Wow, I haven't heard of them in a loooooong time. I went to their website and heard "Highway song" - nice sreaming guitar, I remember that one from high school! and "Train, Train" - also a good tune. Am I correct in thinking that Kingfish covered "Train, Train"? But you are correct they belong on the short list of great southern rock bands. I usually get my fix by listening to the Outlaws live with the 20 minute version of "Green grass and high tides".
 #62886  by b weird

NashvilleMike wrote:
b weird wrote:NashvilleMike you forgot the most overlooked southern rock group EVER, Blackfoot. They were a band from the south that had a southern/metal sound and were really good. Get their album "Strikes" to hear what I'm talking about.
Wow, I haven't heard of them in a loooooong time. I went to their website and heard "Highway song" - nice sreaming guitar, I remember that one from high school! and "Train, Train" - also a good tune. Am I correct in thinking that Kingfish covered "Train, Train"? But you are correct they belong on the short list of great southern rock bands. I usually get my fix by listening to the Outlaws live with the 20 minute version of "Green grass and high tides".
Maybe it's just my personal opinion, but yeah.