#95671  by strumminsix

Right, Johnny! In an interview Jerry said he really liked Victim and called it "angular" and it was something of rewarding challenge to play within the tight framework.

Regarding Jerry and Brent well I think this and Bob's other later songs was a great contrast to Jerry's more poppy numbers and Brent's blues but in major keys.
 #95678  by tcsned

strumminsix wrote:Regarding Jerry and Brent well I think this and Bob's other later songs was a great contrast to Jerry's more poppy numbers and Brent's blues but in major keys.
agreed strumminsix - I think Bobby was still writing really good, complex, interesting tunes up into the 90s. I was not such a big fan of most of the newer Jerry tunes. I believe Jerry once said that he would rather fill in all of the "O's" in the phone book that write a song, he wrote some really great ones but it seemed like a reluctant process for him and that he had lost momentum for it.
 #95812  by bodiddley

tcsned wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Regarding Jerry and Brent well I think this and Bob's other later songs was a great contrast to Jerry's more poppy numbers and Brent's blues but in major keys.
agreed strumminsix - I think Bobby was still writing really good, complex, interesting tunes up into the 90s. I was not such a big fan of most of the newer Jerry tunes. I believe Jerry once said that he would rather fill in all of the "O's" in the phone book that write a song, he wrote some really great ones but it seemed like a reluctant process for him and that he had lost momentum for it.
Really? Man, I consider So Many Roads, Days Between, SOTM, Black Muddy River, Lazy River Road...all modern day Garcia classics.
 #95821  by tcsned

bodiddley wrote:
tcsned wrote:
Really? Man, I consider So Many Roads, Days Between, SOTM, Black Muddy River, Lazy River Road...all modern day Garcia classics.
It probably just me but it seemed to me like all of his later songs were kind of in the same vein of ballads kind of like he was finding different ways to rewrite The Weight. It's probably more that I didn't think he was playing at the top of his game after the 87 or so, (89 being the exception). It is probably more that my perception of those songs is colored by my perception of how the he was playing post-Brent. I don't think they're bad songs but I don't think they hold up to the stuff he was writing in his prime in the 70s. Bobby's tunes do for me. I went to most of my shows between 82-89 and only 20 or so after that and that probably has a lot to do with it as well.