#3181  by Shaggy

Listening to the album version of Uncle Johns Band on Workingmans Dead I really think you could get away with just playing E as the intro chord then going into that intro riff.

#3206  by hesgone95

I think I'd have to stridently disagree with you. the song is in Gmaj. The spelling of an Emaj chord is E G# B. Therefore it just wouldn't work or make sense in the key of Gmaj. The opening chord is a Gmaj, then it goes to the intro chord progression. On the album it's G D C D. But as has been pointed out in this group in later years it was G Bm C D. Anyway just my two cents. Peace.

#3207  by sarraqum

Do you know the outro chords as well? You know, the chords to go over the jam. I've tried to figure them out but failed.

#3208  by hesgone95

If I remember correctly it's built off a Dm. I think it's Dm Gmaj. But it's been a long time since I've played it and I could be waaaay off. And if it is Dm, the jam is obviously no longer in Gmaj, but G Mixolydian, which makes a lot of sense because JG used the Mixolydian mode alot. Let me know if this works or is even close. Peace out.

#3211  by hesgone95

I was just messin' around, and I believe the outro is Dm G C. that is G Mixolydian. later

#3213  by strumminsix

[quote="hesgone95"]I was just messin' around, and I believe the outro is Dm G C. that is G Mixolydian. later[/quote]

Interesting... I've usually hacked it away by playing F G C. Essentially F & Dm are twins so I guess it would sound very similar. But most bands I've been in have not had the desire to play UJB.

#3216  by spilly

on the album the intro chords are G, D6, C, D.
the voicing of the D6 is what sparked the change to Bm, as all you have to do is take away the D bass note.
EADGBE
D6=X5443X

the outro is Dm, G, C with the vocals. before the vocals it's a riff on Dm

E---1-1-1---1---1---1-
B---3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-
G---2-2-2-x---x---2-2-
D-0-------3---2---0---
A---------------------
e---------------------

#3237  by hesgone95

Actually Dm7 (D F A C) and F (F A C) would be closer to identical. Sorry to be a theory stickler... :roll: And now that I think about it I believe that the jam actually uses a Dm7. I seem to remember that from the Anthology songbook. But essentially it's the same w/ the 7 or as a straight minor. Take it easy.

#3332  by sarraqum

Both Dm and Dm7 sound good but Dm7 gives it that little twang you get from 7th chords....naturally...

#3336  by strumminsix

hesgone95 wrote:Actually Dm7 (D F A C) and F (F A C) would be closer to identical. Sorry to be a theory stickler... :roll: And now that I think about it I believe that the jam actually uses a Dm7. I seem to remember that from the Anthology songbook. But essentially it's the same w/ the 7 or as a straight minor. Take it easy.
Don't be a poop. :x I said twins. Not identical.

And yes, it is closer....

Kinda like Emaj7 & Abm a very common whip (Eyes, Cassidy)

BTW, I love theory and learning so thanks for reminding me of something I learned long ago and stored it away and did without thinking about it!