#1527  by docmeister

I was listening to Uncle John's Band from Filmore East in May 1971. I really thought that the simple lead line had been transformed into a beautiful motiff and wanted to learn it. So I did (I think) and was wondering if the brainiacs at this site would want to elevate the functionality to add alternate arrangements based on good live performances and ideas, while keeping it simple. Any thoughts brainiacs? :-?

#1528  by ebick

well, that's exactly what these forums are for. Even when I was active with adding tabs, scribing out this performance or that was never going to happen, and certainly not now in my retirement. :D

However, there are many folks here who would love to see/try what ya got, so, lay it on'em. Greg has even built a tab creator (see the header on this page) to assist you.

#1529  by docmeister

This is fun! :smile:

#1531  by docmeister

Is there anyway to preview the tab that I put together to ensure that it bears some semblance of reality? How do you post it after that step? What's up with the chord? How is it accessed? :cool:
 #1532  by docmeister

The realtive minor of D, Bm gives the song a more folky, plaintive quality. Makes it sound less poppy and happy. Speaking of relative minors, I have been playing Em instead of Am at "what I want to know" b/c it has that minor 6th bounce in that context. I would be interested if anybody else feels the same way by substituting the minor 6th there instead of minor 2nd.

#2160  by jjbankhead

i usially play this song with the Bm instead of the D...

but never used the Em in place of the Am...

BTW i was hoping someone here already added tabs for alternate intros as well as the lead parts throughoout the song.

I for one am not a well enough learned guitar player to pick it out by ear and donot know enough about soloing to know what scales jerry pulls form in this song.

my favorite intro and solo for uncle john's band so far is form the video so far (the one that has a mix of live and studio footage) any way hope soomebody helps oout if not by the time i figure it out on my own then i wil post it :lol:

#2161  by ebick

jjbankhead wrote:my favorite intro and solo for uncle john's band so far is form the video so far (the one that has a mix of live and studio footage)
You're talking about "So Far"

God, I wish they would put that out on DVD!

#2168  by jjbankhead

ebick wrote:
jjbankhead wrote:my favorite intro and solo for uncle john's band so far is form the video so far (the one that has a mix of live and studio footage)
You're talking about "So Far"

God, I wish they would put that out on DVD!
yeah isnt that what i called it.......? i agree i wish it was on DVD i scored that video on ebay back when you could actually find cool stuff on EBAY

anyhow does any one have a scale or tab for that intro or for any of the jamming solos jerry plays during the break down...

i am guessing he is playing in G but i dont know if it is a major/minor penatonic or just a major/minor scale.......

like i said i am not well enough versed to play by ear.

#2169  by ebick

jjbankhead wrote: yeah isnt that what i called it.......?

Yeah, sorry about that.

For some reason, the first time I read it I didn't see the references. Then when I went back and read it........

:?
 #124631  by Jon S.

docmeister wrote:I have been playing Em instead of Am at "what I want to know" b/c it has that minor 6th bounce in that context. I would be interested if anybody else feels the same way by substituting the minor 6th there instead of minor 2nd.
Not quite the same thing but the other guitarist in our band just told me today,
Concerning the verse chords of UJB, on the last line where you have an Am, I hear and have played a

D----C
kn - ow ...
I replied that all the tabs I've seen, including RUKIND's, which show the AM. But I do always try to keep an open mind so I played the song along with several versions and I think my bandmate is right.