#12363  by Rainbow.hippie

On ''So Many Roads (1965-1995) Disc 1'' there's this song from 1970, where they are supposed to play a 'Am' ([G]let the world go [D]by, [*Am*]like the clouds a-[C]streaming').

When I listen to this song, this Am doesn't sound like an ordinary Am, but somehow more 'open' (and very beautiful!!). I cannot find the chord Garcia is playing, it is no Am-7, or something.

I hope my description is not too vague, and maybe, maybe, someone knows . . .

Thanks,
Last edited by Rainbow.hippie on Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#12364  by BlobWeird

Well I dont have So Many Roads but I have 4-5 versions and when I play to them Am sounds great to me. Of course what you gotta realize is this is the grateful dead. They change things around over the years and just randomly for a show or two sometimes. And it may be that Jerry is playin Am but you might be hearin Bobby playin some inversion of an Am over top of Jerry.

#17169  by IamDocWatson

yeah that version is so sweet man...i like it because the keys arent played the whole time they just add small parts with the piano i think on that Am theres a lil added key and then the guitar i do just play an open Am without the high E but i do an arpeggio like this..then it goes into the C and they do like this hammer on chord or maybe they slide into it i havent listened to it in a while....
Code: Select all
(/) Slide Up  () Slide Down  (h) Hammer On  (p) Pull Off  (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|rake----------|-------------------|-----------|-----------|--|---------------------|-----
B|----1-1--r----|-1-----1-----1-----|---r-4h5-5-|-r-r-4h5-5-|--|---------------------|-----
G|---2--2--e----|---2-----2-----2---|---e-4h5-5-|-e-e-4h5-5-|--|-------0-----0-----0-|-----
D|--2---2--s----|-----2-----2-----2-|---s-4h5-5-|-s-s-4h5-5-|--|-----2-----0-----0---|-----
A|-0----0--t--0-|-------------------|-3-t-------|-t-t-------|--|---3-----2-----0-----|-----
E|--------------|-------------------|-----------|-----------|x2|-3-------------------|-3---
							http://www.guitartabcreator.com

does anyone know what theyre doing in the intro on this version??
theres like some passing chords or slides or something...illl listen later and see exactly what im looking for...i just remember it is cool

#17170  by IamDocWatson

Code: Select all
(/) Slide Up  () Slide Down  (h) Hammer On  (p) Pull Off  (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|rake--------|-----------------|-----------|-----------|---|-------------------|--
B|----1-1-r---|-1----1----1-----|---r-4h5-5-|-r-r-4h5-5-|---|-------------------|--
G|---2--2-e---|---2----2----2---|---e-4h5-5-|-e-e-4h5-5-|x2-|-----0-----0-----0-|--
D|--2---2-s---|-----2----2----2-|---s-4h5-5-|-s-s-4h5-5-|---|---2-----0-----0---|--
A|-0----0-t-0-|-----------------|-3-t-------|-t-t-------|---|-3-----2-----0-----|--
E|------------|-----------------|-----------|-----------|--3|-------------------|-3
							http://www.guitartabcreator.com

#17187  by d-v-s

rainbow, did you try the Am in a different position? Try playing it barred on the 5th fret. I think the added A on the high E gives the chord that more "open" sound that you're looking for.

doc, the intro on the So many roads version sounds like they're playing G G-C-G C G. I'll try to note it below, but the G-C-G is real quick, with just an upstroke on the C (could even be a Gsus4). The guitar plays it once, then the piano plays the same thing. That's how I hear it at least.

E|--3----3--3--3----3----3----3--
B|--3----3--5--3----5----3----3--
G|--4----4--5--4----5----4----4--
D|--5----5--5--5----5----5----5--
A|--5----5--3--5----3----5-------
E|--3----3-----3---------3-------