#93740  by Emoto

Hi guys,

I have always loved this tune, since I first heard it on the studio album, but I've never felt happy with any of the chord forms I've tried on it. What are you all using? Thanks!
 #93743  by strumminsix

Not sure but will say this... I've seen Jerry use the shape below but RARELY have I seen a Jerry player use it:

For A
b ------10---------
g ---9-----------
d ---------11-----
 #93744  by Tennessee Jedi

strumminsix wrote:Not sure but will say this... I've seen Jerry use the shape below but RARELY have I seen a Jerry player use it:

For A
b ------10---------
g ---9-----------
d ---------11-----
Wha ?????
The " C " shape barre chord ?
1st finger barre 9th fret ?
I would hardly call that a rare chord shape to to solo/chord with .....
How would someone do so many tunes like .... Franklins ! or to solo in Deal ??????
So may of jerry's soloing secrets seem to be solo'ing out of chord shapes ..... the " C " shape one is a biggie
just .02 $
:D
 #93745  by Grateful Dad

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Not sure but will say this... I've seen Jerry use the shape below but RARELY have I seen a Jerry player use it:

For A
b ------10---------
g ---9-----------
d ---------11-----
Wha ?????
How would someone do so many tunes like .... Franklins ! or to solo in Deal ??????
So may of jerry's soloing secrets seem to be solo'ing out of chord shapes ..... the " C " shape one is a biggie
just .02 $
Take that form strumminsix illustrated and put your pinky on the 11th fret on the third (g) string and VIOLA! you have the F#m (second inversion) which is the relative minor to A major! A great way to go from A to F#m.

:smile:
 #93746  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:

For A
b ------10---------
g ---9-----------
d ---------11-----
Wha ?????
just .02 $
I didn't call the chord rare just rare to see folks using it. Big difference.

No, it's not the C shape, technically. It's an inversion so you hear it 5-3-1 vs the C shape where you hear 1-3-5

It's kinda a lesson I learned: when the right chord sounds wrong change the order of the notes :wink:
 #93747  by Tennessee Jedi

The Jedi is not sure what you mean S6 - I suck big time and know that shape up n down the neck.
Yesterday we did Deal - I park in that spot 'cause all the chords are right there for solo'ing over the verse chords.
I just call it a " C " shape barre since its that shape of a open chord but barred.
Anyway you are prob right - I am just confusing myself ....
 #93748  by Tennessee Jedi

For A
b ------10---------
g ---9-----------
d ---------11-----
Maybe you mean on the specific tune ?
 #93749  by Tennessee Jedi

Oh I get it now my bad the tune in question aint in A ..... and that shape I associate with A
:D :D :D :D
^^ yup ^^
 #93751  by Emoto

Yeah, my mind thinks of that triad as being a part of the "C chord shape" when I see it. I use the form in full, and in part, regularly, but I am not sure you could call me a true Jerry player even though I tend to take that role.

Still, I can't find a variation of C7 that sounds right to me for this song. It has always bothered me.
 #93752  by tigerstrat

this tune is on a studio album...? which one? fwiw I always use the basic barre at 8th fr.
 #93754  by Tennessee Jedi

When i play along to it .... behind the keys .... I try for those chords that remind me of old blues chords .... I love when Jerry comps rhythm with those " uptown " sounding forms
I use a chord form I got from Allmans version of ' Stormy Monday ' .... what ever it is they play on the G
:oops:
 #93758  by Emoto

Tennessee Jedi wrote:When i play along to it .... behind the keys .... I try for those chords that remind me of old blues chords .... I love when Jerry comps rhythm with those " uptown " sounding forms
I use a chord form I got from Allmans version of ' Stormy Monday ' .... what ever it is they play on the G
:oops:

First form on this page? http://jguitar.com/chord?root=g&chord=9th I like the form, and use it sometimes, but I don't' think it is the right one for this song. Maybe I am just being too fussy.
 #93759  by strumminsix

I've played this only in A per the request of a keyboardist who sang it so didn't know the real key :)

I was just speaking to voicing and the order in which the notes are plucked - hence the inversion!
 #93760  by Tennessee Jedi

strumminsix wrote:I've played this only in A per the request of a keyboardist who sang it so didn't know the real key :)

I was just speaking to voicing and the order in which the notes are plucked - hence the inversion!
See that ?
I have learned something new today