#17670  by BuddhaG

tigerstrat wrote:4/15/89 Milwaukee, WI this one might be the cake-taker for me...

oooo listened to this the other night... playin' segues beautifully into terrapin, like it was meant to be. and it was 8)

#17701  by tigerstrat

Yeah I think all i have is the 2nd set of 11/6... where the action is!
 #60197  by LazyLightnin

9/29/93 hands down. as one commenter describes :
Listen to this Terrapin... have your kids listen to it... and any future descendants, all generations, you have should also listen to this starting from the mother's womb.
jerry is totally on and plays his parts slightly different - it sounds awsome! the whole song builds and builds. but bobby and phill are also at their best, listen to bobbys little nuances during the verse, absolutley spine tingling. and phils interplay is just mesmorizingly fantastic! 8)

http://www.archive.org/details/gd93-09- ... beok.flacf

go listen to it now, thank me later 8)
 #60200  by bodiddley

No, they've never played the whole suite live. Closest they came was on 3-18-77.

Another reminder for the 5-7-77 Terrapin but most '77 versions are just plain fantastic.
 #60202  by bodiddley

Yes, Very good Terrapin on 9-29-93 in spite of Vinnies crappy backing vocals and silly angel chorus effect (are we listening to Enya here)? The greatest ? not in my opinion. Check out the freakin' "Eyes",very nice indeed!
 #60275  by LazyLightnin

12-29-77 is a great terrapin, but jerry biffs the first solo and the jam at the end is less than 3 minutes long. other than that it sounded pretty run of the mill for late 70's material.

Vinces vocals never were a good fit with the boys. every time i hear him on those highs im always thinkin "who the hell is that"? but seriously Brents highs have rubbed me the wrong way more than once.
Vinces synth tone is also pretty damn annoying but it really only sticks out in a few spots and never overshines anything noteworthy, probably less than 25 seconds worth of it in a terrapin thats 25 minutes long.

but dynamics, dynamics, dynamics! thats what im really gettin at here, on the 93 terrapin everything falls into place so perfectly. listen to the way they interplay with each other and the volume of the intruments changing at the right times. the playing is so good i have to listen to it several times to really get ahold on what everyones doing because theyre doing it so well. Its too bad they didnt sound that great every night in the 90's, i just love their sound from this period, sans the synth tone. that can be left at home. vince was in the tubes 8)

good eyes also.
 #60276  by bodiddley

Ya, perhaps I'm being overly critical. I'll give it another listen soon. Sorry,Vince just rubs me the wrong way. Sounds like Bob is using acoustic on LL Rain...short version though. The "Eyes' is very good for this late in the game.It's a damn shame that when Jer kicks in the midi flute it takes more than a few bars before the volume gets dialed in enough to really hear it...otherwise a beautiful version.

Check out 9-13-93. 2nd set is just wonderful.
 #60526  by Pete B.

I would like to hear a remix of the studio version of Terrapin with the orchestration completely removed (although I do love the original studio version in its entirety).
'Keep all the instrument/vocal overdubs etc. done by the core group, remix if/as needed in order to hear anything we might otherwise be missing.
I think that would make for an interesting listen.
Rhino???
 #60535  by tigerstrat

Pete B. wrote:I would like to hear a remix of the studio version of Terrapin with the orchestration completely removed (although I do love the original studio version in its entirety).
'Keep all the instrument/vocal overdubs etc. done by the core group, remix if/as needed in order to hear anything we might otherwise be missing.
Rhino???
Pardon the interruption, and totally unrelated, but HEY PETE check your email.
 #60551  by wisedyes

Third night of Hampton VA ( 3-26 ) in spring of 1987 - MONSTROUS! I was there, the audience was whipped into a frenzy, Garcia and Weir were doing the rock star thing in full force. Never heard another Terrapin like that one in terms of sheer power.
 #60555  by RiverRat

Pete B. wrote:I would like to hear a remix of the studio version of Terrapin with the orchestration completely removed (although I do love the original studio version in its entirety).
Rhino???

Didn't Mickey almost kill the producer because he deleted a ton of percussion tracks and substituted the orchestral section?
 #60556  by Tennessee Jedi

RiverRat wrote:
Rhino???

Didn't Mickey almost kill the producer because he deleted a ton of percussion tracks and substituted the orchestral section?
Near the end -I think it might be "At a Siding" - Jerry does some super fast riffage. I always wondered if he played that fast or if they sped the tape up.
:smile:
 #60560  by seamones

I am going to be completely undiplomatic here, but hopefully not a douche bag.

There is no version of any song that is a best-ever from 1993. It is extremely rare to find a best-ever post Brent and IMPOSSIBLE to find a best-ever, of any song, post-Hornsby. Save, of course for songs debuted in 1993 or later.

There may be incredible music and amazing interludes from 1993 and beyond - Salt Lake 1995 was in my tape deck for like a year - but not the best versions ever. Again, unless we wanna talk about So Many Roads or Days or even EZ Answers for that matter.

With that said, I'll make a strong argument that To Lay Me Down from 9-18-1990 is the best ever.

Have at me! 8)
 #60566  by mttourpro

seamones wrote:I am going to be completely undiplomatic here, but hopefully not a douche bag.

There is no version of any song that is a best-ever from 1993. It is extremely rare to find a best-ever post Brent and IMPOSSIBLE to find a best-ever, of any song, post-Hornsby. Save, of course for songs debuted in 1993 or later.

There may be incredible music and amazing interludes from 1993 and beyond - Salt Lake 1995 was in my tape deck for like a year - but not the best versions ever. Again, unless we wanna talk about So Many Roads or Days or even EZ Answers for that matter.

With that said, I'll make a strong argument that To Lay Me Down from 9-18-1990 is the best ever.

Have at me! 8)
Agreed. As far as Terrapins go, my favs are Oxford Maine in 88 and ones they did in 90 before Brent died when they did >Jam after the tune---totally different jams on each one too.
As for "best ever"---there's no such thing---too subjective