#9503  by supermoose

Hi guys, i was curious to know if anyone had the strum pattern for this song. For whatever reason i can't figure out strum patterns from just listening. Also how do you guys form your chord shapes for this one? I am trying to learn guitar and am teaching myself so i apologize for all the questions.

Thanks

#9506  by BlobWeird

hmm well im not that great but I like to switch between the high part of a chord and the low root while strumming so ill play

-----------2-2-----2-------0-0-0
-----------4-4-----4-------0-0-0
-----------4-4-----4-------1-2-1
-----------4-4-----4-------2-2-2
------2-2--2-2-2-2-2-2-----2-2-2
--2h4------------------0-0-0-0-0

Somethin to that effect or i would play it at the 7th fret. The beat is kinda like the hammer 2h4 then doo doo pause doo doo then maybe a pick off 4p2 or slide 4/2 doo doo doo do doo. lol hope you can understand. If your a beginner this is prolly one of the best dead songs you can start with. Very simple structure to jam to. The jam being just B to E using E Major scale or B mixolydian. good luck

#9511  by supermoose

is it possible you could maybe do it in a measure form, 4 beats per measure, and say which is an up or down stroke? What you said kind of makes sense but maybe another way of seeing it might help me.

Thanks for replying, this has to be one of my favorite songs, there is just something about it that brings a smile to my face, i have been using the mixolydian scale and attempting to "solo" over the track, i listen to a lot of live dead so i get a good 11 minutes to play around, although i do have a hard time putting together anything that sounds remotely good, if anyone has any advice on that too, (theory or is it just by ear?) it'd be much appreciated

#9540  by BlobWeird

Hmm well to be honest im not that good with like writing music professionally so i wouldnt be able to write it in bars sorry. Maybe someone else like Bill or Strummin could help ya there. But as for your other question sure its about your ear. In my opinion theory does nothin but show you what you already know with a different attitude toward it. If that makes any sense lol. But I bought a book that taught theory and since i finished that book i havent got better because of that book but only from myself. You wanna play a good solo to sugaree? then how i started was takin a solo that pre-exists by Jgar and learnin that. Then learn another and another and finally you will have a very nice feel for the song and you will have little licks from all the solos learned to play your own take on it. Good luck man keep practicin.
 #9541  by garciahead

in one of your earlier posts, someone mentioned they wanted this song written out with strum parents in 4/4 time. i'm pretty sure the song is actually in 6/8 time. i play it by strumming a more or less basic 6/8 pattern with alternating bass notes and chords. hope that helps.

peace.

#9543  by supermoose

garciahead, is it possible you could explain the 6/8 pattern to me? It's been so long since i've actually played an instrument so I don't recall all of the different time signatures etc.
 #9585  by garciahead

4/4 time means that each measure has 4 beats to it. 6/8 means that each measure gets 6 beats, rather than 4. (it is similar to 3/4 time if you're familiar with that except quicker and less waltzy)

anyways, listen to versions of Sugaree such as the original studio recording and the Dead Set version. they have very pronounced hi-hat hits that essentially count out the time for you. listen and count along with them 123,456 123,456. I don't really know how to explain time signatures over the internet any better than that. Count the quick hi-hat beats 6 at a time to get a feel for the rhythm. And listen to the rhythm guitar for the strum pattern.

SIDE NOTE: this seems to be the easiest way for me to play this song, but if you can't get the hang of 6/8 time and want to try it in 4/4 time it CAN also be done that way. For every two 6/8 measures, you could also count a slower 4/4 measure. In this case the hi-hat beats would be counted as triplets, but i'm afraid this might just confuse you more. anyways, good luck. let me know if any of this helps.

peace.

#9588  by jck_strw

Do either of these help?

http://guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=374

http://www.empire.k12.ca.us/capistrano/ ... rhythm.htm

They both have sample 6/8 time signatures to listen to.

#9592  by supermoose

ok so lets say i use a metronome to help, how many beats per minute? 92?

#27015  by JackORoses

this song is actually in 12/8 time, its down storke, down storke, up down , up down, down

try that sounds perfect

#27019  by tigerstrat

JackORoses wrote:this song is actually in 12/8 time, its down storke, down storke, up down , up down, down

try that sounds perfect
Agreed, actually a double-time 12/8, or a 4/4 played as sextuplets... or a "straight 8" feel overlaid with triplets: ||:1-2-3-4-5-6,2-2-3-4-5-6,3-2-3-4-5-6,4-2-3-4-5-6 :||

bpm is highly variable, but probably between 88 and 100

#27096  by GratefulPat

its single note f#, g#, b... b chord down up down then single not b g# f# then e chord down up down
 #96267  by PRAYER

wow.

I myself am pretty handy with those time signatures so I can only imagine how confused this thread made the OP.
haha no offense boys.

i always just strummed a shuffle rhythm (pretty much like the one in this video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM7tqbNM_6U
 #116086  by vwjodyme

anyone have a vid of this on acoustic?