#3563  by phreaker

I have read places that in 94 or 95 the Dead wanted to make an album around their 30th anneversary. so many roads (i love this song so much) was going to be on it, with , i THINK, days between. i also read phil had a song for it, along with a couple of Vinces songs. anyone have more info on this?

and in about 71 or 72, Hunter wanted them to release an album with Tennessee Jed, Ramble on rose, jack straw, brown eyed woman, and a couple others. i would prefer them on europe 72, but more info on these albums would be nice, thanks.

#3585  by shakedown_04092

I think the songs that would've been on that '95 album would've been:

So Many Roads
Liberty
Eternity
Easy Answers
Days Between
Lazy River Road
Long Way To Go Home
Corrina
Samba in the Rain
All Too Much
Childhood's End (that Phil song you were refering to)

Other Possibilities:

Tom Thumb's Blues?
Unbroken Chain...(a revamped version?)
Salt Lake City?
If the Shoe Fits?
The Same Thing?
Good Morning Litte Schoolgirl?
Matilda?
That Would Be Something?

God knows Wave to the Wind wouldn't have made it...

Interesting topic....Man, this would've been a GREAT album! :cool: :cry:
 #3587  by phreaker

I was thinking the same thing about Unbroken chain on another possible album. They started playing it more an more in the later years because phils son really liked it. they did the same thing with other songs like the (All) new Minglewood Blues.

on archive.org you can listen to a studio version of So Many Roads. its good, no doubt, but it didnt have that nice little "So many roads to ease my soul" jam that the dead always did live. still sounded better than most songs on Built To Last though.

#3595  by goofydrummer

1992-02-21 is the studio version on archive, by the way. I like it a lot, jerry puts a lot of soul into. I highly reccomend the download, it had 6 cuts.

#3596  by Shaggy

They did get together in the studio for the 95 album and started laying a few things down but Jerry was so dis-interested in the project and did nothing worth while whilst they were in there it got shevled for the time being. After Jerry died, Phil went through the taps to see what was worth keeping or worth working on and it was all useless. If they were going to do Unbroken Chain I don't think they would have ever topped their original version from Mars Hotel.

The Album Hunter wanted them to do would have been to throw all the new songs in from Europe, Garcia(solo album) and Bob Weir's Ace album and other new songs all onto a couple of studio albums like the classic pair from 1970. I think it would have been worderful but I don't think we can regret it since what they did instead was very good anyway and I don't think Hunter has any real regrets over it.

All very interesting though.

#3694  by Shaggy

Imagine these songs all laid down in the studio for a Grateful Dead studio album:

Wharf Rat (Garcia/Hunter)
Bertha (Garcia/Hunter)
Playing in the Band (Weir/Hunter)
He's Gone (Garcia/Hunter)
Brown Eyed Women (Garcia/Hunter
Ramble on Rose (Garcia/Hunter)
Mr Charlie (Pigpen/Hunter)
Tennessee Jed (Garcia/Hunter)
The Stranger (Two Souls in Communion) (Pigpen)
Chinatown Shuffle (Pigpen)
Jack Straw (Weir/ Hunter)

Then the rest of the songs from Weir's Ace:

Greatest Story Ever Told (Bob Weir / Robert Hunter)
Black Throated Wind (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
Walk In The Sunshine (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
Looks Like Rain (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
Mexicali Blues (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
One More Saturday Night (Bob Weir)
Cassidy (Bob Weir / John Barlow)

Then you could have had the songs from Garcia solo album:

Deal (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
Bird Song (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
Sugaree (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
Loser (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
To Lay Me Down (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter)
The Wheel (Jerry Garcia / Robert Hunter / Billy K)

You could also throw in the likes of Comes a Time as well.

So you had all those songs that appeared between the two all time classic albums of 1970 and Wake of the Flood in 1973.

25 songs and none of them were recorded on a Grateful Dead studio album. Though it's pretty much accepted that Ace was a Grateful Dead album.

But can you imagine all those songs spread out over two or three clean, crisp Grateful Dead studio albums in the same vein in terms of workability and production and all round approach as they did with Workingmans Dead and American Beauty? I think that is what Hunter was saying about it.

As it is, the songs still came out in their own way through the live stuff, brilliant that it was and though we all love Europe, Ace and Garcia(solo album) and all the rest, it's nice to wonder what if!

#3696  by ebick

Shaggy wrote:Then the rest of the songs from Weir's Ace:

Greatest Story Ever Told (Bob Weir / Robert Hunter)
Black Throated Wind (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
Walk In The Sunshine (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
Looks Like Rain (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
Mexicali Blues (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
One More Saturday Night (Bob Weir)
Cassidy (Bob Weir / John Barlow)
Ace pretty much was a Grateful Dead album, wasn't it?

According to the liner notes, the band was:

Weir
Kreutzmann
Lesh
Garcia
K&D Godchaux

with:

Ed Bogus arranging the strings on LLR
Dave Torbert playing bass on GSET
and a horn section.

I think the only thing that made it a Weir album vs. a GD album was that Weir had the creative lead.

#3697  by strumminsix

ebick wrote:I think the only thing that made it a Weir album vs. a GD album was that Weir had the creative lead.
Hey Ed, I think your statement is bigger than how it sounds. Without creative direction, the GD members pretty much were Bob's "session players".

I think of it like a orchestra, who gets the most applaus and who is written about in the paper? The conductor.

#3701  by ebick

Right, I didn't mean to understate that. It was Bob's album, and done under Bob's direction, although I would be surprised if Bob did not solicit or accept suggestions from this particular group of "session" players.

My point was that I don't think that a Grateful Dead album from the studio with this selection of songs would have sounded a whole lot different.

#3715  by Shaggy

Ace is credited as a Bob Weir solo album, but everyones knows and Bob himself said it's really a Grateful Dead album.

I think of it as an album by the Grateful Dead recording songs all written by Weir.

You are probably right, Ed, they wouldn't have sounded any different. But in highlighting the songs of that period, it shows just what a productive and prolific period that was.