#88751  by strumminsix

Gang,
My ears and eyes are seeing and hearing, respectively LOL!, something different.

I've the walkdown: D C#m Bm A Bm...

But I'm now thinking: D F#m Bm A Bm... This is especially useful if you barre the D from the 2nd fret.

Thoughts?
 #88757  by Pete B.

I have a guitar out in the car for m'Monday night-er... I'll give it a whirl later this morning, but off the top of my head, that's an F# natural not an F#m... Just kidding!!! :lol:
Seriously, off the top of my head i don't hear an F#m there.
 #88760  by strumminsix

Pete B. wrote:I have a guitar out in the car for m'Monday night-er... I'll give it a whirl later this morning, but off the top of my head, that's an F# natural not an F#m... Just kidding!!! :lol:
Seriously, off the top of my head i don't hear an F#m there.
LOL! Are you bringing back "2010 - The Great Debate! Sugar Mags, F#m vs F#"

Try it like this:
Code: Select all

D     F#m
e --2--- --2----
b --3--- --2---
g --2--- --2---
d --4--- --4---
a --5--- --4---
E --x--- --2---

#88779  by strumminsix

Interesting, I see:
- I see what looks like an F#m
- I don't see any C#m
- the A between the Bm's Bobby just hits an open A string...
 #88791  by jdsmodulus

That RD version is really trimmed down. The GD electric version is where I would look. I think VFTV 5 has a nice close up view of Bob. He plays some strange chords though. I always fake it at "bound" and rarely play it the same from time to time. :?
 #88795  by strumminsix

I wish I recalled those vids I was watching when I was learning that part.

Actually upon "furthur" review he may be hitting that F#m while still holding onto that D on the B string thus making it a Dmaj7... hmmm
 #88798  by jdsmodulus

brbadg wrote:What is View from the Vault 5? I thought there were only 4 of them?
Yeah it could be 4. its the one where he wears the Madonna shirt. I think Oakland I will have to go find it.
 #88816  by Pete B.

O.K. Sorry Man, My initial thought was wrong... That F#m works great in that spot as a sub for C#m. I tried it multiple times last night with the Trio. The thing is that it shares the Key note, C#. Nice.
----F#m------C#m
E|--2----------4-------
B|--2----------5-------
G|--2----------6-------
D|--4----------6-------
A|--4(C#)-----4(C#)--
E|--2----------x-------

E|-----------------------------------
B|-----------------------------------
G|-----------------------------------
D|------------2----0------------------
A|--0--2--4----------4(C#)--2--0--
E|-----------------------------------

On an unrelated side note, I noticed that when I played C#m to F#m chords over and over, using a four-count and emphisising the 1-beat on each chord, I was quickly stricken with the desire to narrorate/voice-over the plight of the American Indian to that chord combo.
 #88819  by strumminsix

Pete B. wrote:O.K. Sorry Man, My initial thought was wrong... That F#m works great in that spot as a sub for C#m. I tried it multiple times last night with the Trio. The thing is that it shares the Key note, C#. Nice.
No worries! I very much agree that they key note at that point is the C#.

But I still think the F#m is the proper chord while you think it's an ok sub :lol:
 #88820  by Stevo123

I like the F#m myself. I think the C#m sounds deceivingly right because of the strength of the descent to the C#. It's highlighted so much in the bass and the lead guitar line that it can sound o.k. there. However, the C#m makes the passage a little too symmetrical and weak sounding. Dmaj7 can work as a sub because it contains the F#m triad within it.
 #88822  by strumminsix

Stevo123 wrote:I like the F#m myself. I think the C#m sounds deceivingly right because of the strength of the descent to the C#. It's highlighted so much in the bass and the lead guitar line that it can sound o.k. there. However, the C#m makes the passage a little too symmetrical and weak sounding. Dmaj7 can work as a sub because it contains the F#m triad within it.
Wow. You perfectly expressed my thoughts on this.
 #88823  by Pete B.

strumminsix wrote:...But I still think the F#m is the proper chord while you think it's an ok sub :lol:
I have to tell ya that I always play the Jerry style walk-up/walk-downs. This is the first time I ever thought about the song from a Bobby point of view, other than singing it.
I haven't watched the Bobby vids on this yet, either.
I'm cool with F#m as the main chord. I will try the Dmaj7 tonight, too.
fwiw, When I play this song solo, I navigate this section by playing and A chord, to a D chord, with a moving bass-note line, untill I get to the Bm.
Last edited by Pete B. on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.