#18169  by Winterland

Space> Black Peter was(I had a spelling issue in the last post) These segways were awsome. BTW how do you delete bas posts?

#18170  by BuddhaG

Black Peter never stuck out as something unique and special on the album version... maybe I just wasn't listening hard enough back then. I found the archive and all the downloadable shows online and haven't looked back since.

This song is always an interesting part of a setlist. Its tempo allows Jerry to get fully under it and convey those feelings of melancholy, closeness to death, and getting closer every day. And then the bridge takes it up another notch but goes to a different level... forget about death for a little while you can.

I prefer the 70's performances before it became a mainstay at the end of the second set just because I like younger Dead better, but the post-coma versions really do something different for me... the big guy came back with personal experience and what more appropriate song to retell with... ah fuck this makes me wish I saw it in person... or experienced Jerry doing any song in person...

BlobWierd, i'd love to see that tab for the solo, pretty please?

Winterland, there's an X in the top right hand corner of my posts that I can click to delete posts.

#18172  by gratephulphish123

1/2/70 is a good peter, I'm with buddah g in that i like early dead much better, and this whole show is a shining example of great early dead

#18205  by BuddhaG

I think most of that for me has to do with Jerry's voice... he started getting tired in the 80's and you can hear it in the vocal delivery. I can still totally appreciate the music and do listen to shows from early in the Brent period and 89/90 when Jerry regained some composure and stopped doing so much H but I can't deny that I love hearing the boys in full force.

#18215  by BlobWeird

Alright guys you want THE Black Peter? The one that will make your head spin? just found it like a month or two ago. 4/14/78. Dunno if its on archive or anything. I have a podcast from Itunes with it. But WOW its f'in amazing. There is absolutely no way you wont fall in love with the ending "Run and see" jam.

#18218  by Shaggy

Always had slight mixed feelings about this one. It's typical Jerry though in terms of building up the tension and then a killer change and hook.