#8219  by Trystine

You know, I never really got too excited about this song until today. I just quit smoking cigarettes two days ago and I was sitting at the desk wishing I had a pack of camels when Black Peter came through my speakers. Before you know it I was singing every word and slaping the beat on my desk. The song really captured my mood. Jerry just sang it so beautifully and drew me right in. It's like I've uncovered a song I've never heard before.

Sorry if I just wasted your time, there's been few new posts and this was on my mind.

#8222  by jck_strw

This was a late bloomer for me too. And it was the album version that really grabbed me and got me interested in this song. Now it's one of my fav Jerry ballads.

#8227  by Benthegoodbum

I've always been a huge fan of the Peter. It was one of the first GD songs I memorized...of course I haven't played it in a while so I may need to touch up on it hehe.

#8241  by hesgone95

It's always been one of my favorite songs. I love Hunter's lyrics, I think they are some of his most imsired traditional ballad story telling lyrics. But then that whole Workingman's/American Beauty era was pretty inspired. It was also the first Dead tune I learned to play and sing at the same time. Beautiful Beautiful song.

#8256  by tigerstrat

the "Shine thru my window" part of the bridge is one of the finest most powerful single moments in any GD song... on a par with "Inspiration move me brightly" from Terrapin.

That tangible spine-tingling burst of energy that you can hear and SEE rippling through the crowd!
g-mane liked this

#10841  by BlobWeird

Check out the 9/21/72 version from The spectrum...You can find it in the free stash at nugs.net. It truly is spectacular...his words and emotion will make you wanna cry. And the solo is brilliant. If anyone wants the tabs to it let me know. I tabbed it out a few days ago. I also got some other solos tabbed so yeah let me know.
 #10842  by chinacat503

I was somewhat slow to come around to the full brillance of this incredible tune also. Jerry Jerry Jerry. DP36 version (09-21-72) is so far my favorite

#10854  by BlobWeird

Oh DP 36 Is the spectrum shows from 9/21/72? Well then yeah I have the solo to that dp 36 black peter tabbed out

#10863  by shakedown_04092

BlobWeird wrote:Oh DP 36 Is the spectrum shows from 9/21/72? Well then yeah I have the solo to that dp 36 black peter tabbed out
Well let's see it then!!! Post it!

#10864  by BlobWeird

Ill post it tonight when i get home...Im just gonna scan my tab...Might be a little sloppy but you guys will be able to work it out.

#10883  by b weird

Hey, Blob what other solos do you have tabbed out? Back on the topic of Black Peter, my favorite version is from 10/19/74 on the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack. It comes out of a jam from one of the most smokin' Truckins' ever.

#10884  by BlobWeird

Hey b weird. I got that black peter already up. I got brokedown place from dead set. They love each other 2-3-78. studio fire on the mountain. Althea from go to nassau. and a couple others i cant think of right now. I also have a nice 12 bar blues progression in the key of A. Umm i have Casey Jones from Closing of Winterland. Ramble on rose from europe 72. And ugh i got some cool bluegrass licks that i like to end songs with that ill tab out also. They are good for ending songs like cumberland blues. Ill be workin on more as time goes on. Im not that good of a player. prolly worse than most here so there will be some errors...not many i hope.

#18149  by caspersvapors

hesgone95 wrote:It's always been one of my favorite songs. I love Hunter's lyrics, I think they are some of his most imsired traditional ballad story telling lyrics. But then that whole Workingman's/American Beauty era was pretty inspired. It was also the first Dead tune I learned to play and sing at the same time. Beautiful Beautiful song.
this song just hit me recently too..

IMO the music Jerry accompanied to the lyrics is what really brings them to life. On paper theyre quite simple but the chords really convey the humanity of the song and the alternating points of view. Especially that bridge that hits you so hard.

same thing goes for Wharf Rat

#18152  by Rev_Roach

congratulations on both quitting smoking and discovering how great Black Peter is!
 #18166  by Winterland

Space >Black peter from the early 80's will take to to places you never been before
Last edited by Winterland on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.