#32473  by Shooster

I was listening to this the other day and boy does Bobby play some sick guitar on this on Rockin' the Rhein (and pretty much anytime).

I can't put my finger on that lick though, so does anyone already know what voicing or position he's playing for those? Anything's appreciated... thanks!

#32474  by strumminsix

Find a good copy on the archive and let me know what time the lick comes in so I can help.

There are a few licks that I hear...

#32483  by Shooster

http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-12- ... sbeok.shnf

Well here we are, I can't give you an exact time value, but Bob starts doing it the first time that "Well it's a true, true saying.." comes in.

It sounds like some sort of trill, but i'm having trouble picking up on it.

#32484  by strumminsix

I hear clearly what you are saying out of my right headphone.

I hear hints of: playing with A/D5 & A/D6, sus4s, sharpening the chord and coming down.

#32491  by Shooster

To clarify: you're talking d5 and d6 with an A in the bass? Any idea on where to play this... I was at the 5th fret goofing around with A and D there, but now i'm beginning to think it might be at the 10th fret for the d and the A in the c-shape there.

#32492  by strumminsix

Shooster wrote:To clarify: you're talking d5 and d6 with an A in the bass? Any idea on where to play this... I was at the 5th fret goofing around with A and D there, but now i'm beginning to think it might be at the 10th fret for the d and the A in the c-shape there.
Sorry meant A5 A6, D5 D6.

Can't say for sure what he's doing. Here is what I'd try:

A5 A6, D5 D6

A7 D or A7 A7sus4

Sharpening the chord a half step then coming back down

Try adding an extra 7th an octave up and pulling off to a 5th.

Playing with the 3rd and 7th and avoiding the 1 and 5.
 #64080  by jlg327

Was trying to figure this out today. I think I've got the basic pattern, but still don't know all the little things Bobby throws in there.

Here's the pattern on the A chord:

E|--5--5-------------
B|--5--5--7--5-------
G|--------7--5h6-----
D|----------------7--
A|-------------------
E|-------------------

EDIT:
This is a slightly modified blues (I IV I I, IV IV I I, V IV I I), and I play the above pattern at the fifth fret for the I, except for in the fourth bar, where I hear the following:

E|--5--5--4--3--
B|--5--5--4--2--
G|--------------
D|--------------
A|--------------
E|--------------

Like I said, very basic. Anybody have any flourishes they can add?

Thanks for the help. This really is a great tune.