#20674  by nicolasalk

do you like most the old 60's version that appear in the grateful dead album or the new one they started making in the 70s

IMO the old version is so much better, the new one is terrible, i hate it

#20675  by guilhermeful dead

I agree

#20703  by tigerstrat

I disagree- I love the static first and last verses with Jerry busting out the wickedly distorted unison riff.

By the way, the 60's Minglewood is called "New New Minglewood Blues", and the late 70's and-on one is called "All New Minglewood Blues"

#20708  by Trystine

I have to agree with TS, the ALL new minglewood blues is much better. I especially liked it when they added the "It's tea for <your city here> where the girls know what to do" verse.

Another key play in the newer version is Brent's solo. His organ playing really helped color in the empty spaces.

I will, however, give one point to the older version for not having bobby blowing the dog whistle with a slide for 30 seconds.

#20725  by nicolasalk

tigerstrat wrote:I disagree- I love the static first and last verses with Jerry busting out the wickedly distorted unison riff.

By the way, the 60's Minglewood is called "New New Minglewood Blues", and the late 70's and-on one is called "All New Minglewood Blues"
that explains (well...don't explain) all the names the song had:
minglewood blues, new minglewood blues, new new minglewood blues, all new minglewood blues, is so confusing, i always thougth it was the same thing, but sung different through the time

#22637  by Enden

I much prefer All New.

#22648  by Henry

For me, there's nothing like the original version but that's kind of sentimental because I remember it was one of the earliest guitar solos I learned to play and it kind of "infected" me.

#22650  by strumminsix

I feel like a lying parent...

"I love them all equally."

Of course I know which one I prefer but I'll never admit to it in print :lol:

#22651  by BlobWeird

All New without a shadow of a doubt. Favorite version thus far would have to be Dead Set

#39757  by pmonk66

Really depends on the mood I'm in. Both versions are great and reflect the state of mind the band was in.

#39759  by frankielee

Gimmie the original any day!

#39765  by krzykat

strumminsix wrote:I feel like a lying parent...

"I love them all equally."

Of course I know which one I prefer but I'll never admit to it in print :lol:
that one really deserves the evil laugh mmmwahahahah!!!

just for the record i am in total agreement with this statement

#39796  by BlobWeird

Actually on my first post I put Dead set. I was wrong. Go To Nassau is the one I meant. Jerry rips it in that one.

#39804  by tigerstrat

frankielee wrote:Gimmie the original any day!
The original 1928 "Minglewood Blues" by Noah Lewis? I'm impressed that you've heard it.