#29395  by BlobWeird

Billbbill wrote:
For the record I always wing this portion (that amyjared is asking about) with B major pentatonic and maybe some chromo's with an eye toward the upcoming A chord.
haha Yeah I always wing that part in B pent too. Usually works out alright. I like how you jump to the high B at the end of the first one. Caught me off guard haha. Yeah id also like to know what you use to record. I just bought a webcam and was planning to start addin some videos on here but the microphone on it sucks. It said it was really good and reviews said it was but I cant play with any volume whatsoever. The second I hit a string with any strength it breaks up and gets a nasty static going. So I guess Ill have to buy a mic. But also how will I sync up the video with the audio since it will be seperate. I wanna get this underway soon cuz I have a buddy I know from work that wants to start learning some more. Oh and keep em comin. Always enjoy watchin another guys versions.
 #29407  by BlobWeird

1960strat wrote: You inspired me to attempt singing and recording. Check it out and tell me what you think.

myspace.com/davidfixband
Just checked it out and I like the vocals man. Got a good voice. We should jam some time. Im right near Edison.

#29428  by 1960strat

Blob, sounds good. I have jammed with Bill once. He is a great player and a damn nice guy. I would definately be down for jamming. My office is right near metro park so i am down your way often. I will send you a pm.

David
 #29448  by Billbbill

1960strat wrote:Another great vid by you Bill. I love the jam in the middle, reminds me of the dead ahead msg acoustic version where jer and bobby jam out. I would love to learn the bobby part for the next time we jam.

You inspired me to attempt singing and recording. Check it out and tell me what you think.

myspace.com/davidfixband

I hate my recorder, for some reason the levels come out really low on it. It is a boss 1180cd, and i thought it was going to be great for recording but i am finding it muddy and sucky.. What do you use to record?
I did check it out. I thought I commented on the thread you had for it but I must of spaced. I think its real good and you got me scratching my head as to why there was nary a peep out of you vocally when we jammed.

Oh I know. My superior singing voice intimidated you! :lol: Right, at times I think dragging ones finger nails across a chalk board can be more pleasing to the ears.

Ya know, I know next to nothing about recording but I seem to be getting decent milage fron the 2 methods I've been using. The sound has been consistently good though I'd like the video to improve.

The birdsong vid (and all of the other 'performance' vids I believe) was done with my macbook with the built in isight camera and edited with imovie.

The Jack Straw, China Cat, West la, HTH and maybe one or 2 others I did on my pc with an old canon (ZR-30) camcorder.

A lot is in the compression, which I haven't gotten a decent grip on yet. Gregg has done all the ones that look really good! :lol:

Some of the first were done with the vid function of my digicam - althea, gdtrfb, etc.

#29452  by Billbbill

jackr wrote:Great job Bill!!!

How much of that jam in the middle was scripted? Or was it just off the cuff?
All off the cuff. The only thing I planned was that I wanted to play some chord lead since it obviously gives a fuller sound. Now, that I even winged so I'm speaking of the intent to play some chord lead.

The chord lead wasn't as cohesive as I'd of liked but I also don't practice it that often.

Pretty much working up and down the neck with different (predominently 2 note) chord inversions of E, E7, Esus4, E9, D, A. The first part was almost exclusively the g and b strings with the open e from time to time. Then I played a single note riff and went back to the same thing but on the d and g strings and letting the b and e strings ring. Just before the end I played some full 3 note chords.

#29454  by Billbbill

BlobWeird wrote:
Yeah id also like to know what you use to record.
See my response to David
BlobWeird wrote:
I just bought a webcam and was planning to start addin some videos on here but the microphone on it sucks. It said it was really good and reviews said it was but I cant play with any volume whatsoever. The second I hit a string with any strength it breaks up and gets a nasty static going. So I guess Ill have to buy a mic.
Make sure you check out all the settings first. Maybe it needs tweaking? Also google your webcam and model number with 'mic problems' or something like that. Maybe you'll find a forum where the same or similar problem is discussed.

BlobWeird wrote:So I guess Ill have to buy a mic. But also how will I sync up the video with the audio since it will be seperate.
I am so not the guy to answer this one.

#29455  by 1960strat

Bill,

Cool, you are too hard on yourself on the vocals. It sounds great. I really wasnt at a point when we jammed to sing and play simultaneously. Been working at it real hard though.

Hey sorry to hijack your thread here man. Keep the vids coming. Your version of Rain and Snow has inspired me to learn it. As soon as i get it righti will post it.

David

#29487  by BlobWeird

Tried tweakin, Tried googlin. So Ill just buy a mic and find a way to sync em up.