#15916  by DenverEd

The intro in 1972 versions had a little more than just E7 and D. Anyone know what gives it that extra pop?

#15919  by BlobWeird

this is how the one from field trip 8-27-72 is done. My favorite also.
E|----------------------------------------
B|----------------------------------------
G|----------------------------------------
D|-------------4-----------7--4--7--------
A|-------4--5-----7--5--7-----------7-----
E|--4/7-----------------------------------

What makes it different is stayin on that B at the end instead of D to E for the last two notes its B to E. He doesnt do this in any other show ive heard though.

#15920  by b weird

Code: Select all
      D7  D7sus2   							                                                  E||---2-2-0-0-0-0-2--||-------------------------2-2-0-0-0-0-2---||                    B||.--1-1-1-1-1-1-1-.||.------------------------1-1-1-1-1-1-1--.||
G||---2-2-2-2-2-2-2--||------------------0------2-2-2-2-2-2-2---||
D||---0-0-0-0-0-0-0--||-------0-2--0---0---2----0-0-0-0-0-0-0---||
A||.----------------.||.--0-3--------3-------3-----------------.||
E||------------------||-----------------------------------------||
      Repeat 4X       5th time

D7    D7sus2      D7     D7sus2     D7     D7sus2        C  D7
All I know is something like a bird within her sang,
D7                                                       C  D7
All I know she sang a little while and then flew off,
Bb   F      C                   G                 D7     
Tell me all that you know, I'll show you snow and rain.

If you hear that same sweet song again, will you know why?
Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin' by,
Laugh in the sunshine, sing, cry in the dark, fly through the night.

Bm        A    G     D   A    G     D   A      G              D
Don't cry now, don't you cry, don't you cry anymore, la-da-da-da.
Bm           A      G     D   A    G   D    A           G              D  D7
Sleep in the stars, don't you cry, dry your eyes on the wind, la-da-da-da-da.

All I know is something like a bird within her sang,
All I know she sang a little while and then flew off,
Tell me all that you know, I'll show you snow and rain.
Here's my way of playing Bird Song in D.

#21461  by DenverEd

I am talking about the chord part. If you listen to intro from the Dick's Pick version from 9/27/72, there is some really cool stuff being done around the E7 chord - I just can't quite figure it out.

#21466  by BlobWeird

I have that DP36 so ill check it out tonight and hopefully post somethin for ya tomorrow so stay tuned haha no pun intended

#21468  by BlobWeird

actually now that I think about it DP36 is 9-21-72. 9-27-72 is DP11 which is one of 4 DP's I dont have lol. So if you could send the file to me for B Song Ill check it out for ya. My email is blobweird@yahoo.com

#21483  by Billbbill

I don't have that show but on 9/26/72 I hear an A thrown in with the E, E7sus2 & E7 - a little like this

--E7-E7-E7-A-E-E7-E7
----sus2------sus2
e-7-7-7-7------7--7---
b-9-9-7-9-10-9-7--9---
g-7-7-7-7--9-9-7--7---
d-9-9-9-9-11-9-9--9---

I don't know if that notation is right, E7sus2 - maybe E7/9?

This also may not be what was played the next night but I'm taking a shot that it was.

#21493  by IamDocWatson

jerry and bob are just hammering on the E chord...

use the form E chord on the 7th fret... jerrys is like this...

x799xx mess around with hammering on and pulling off
from x777xx to x799xx

bobs doing the same thing on the higher strings messing arounf with it as an E E7 Esus4 Esus 2 i guess...hes just riffing around

xxx99x xxx77x xxx910x etc....

i was alitttle lazy to tab the hole thing out, just riff around on the E bar chord on the 7th fret, a form

#21494  by ronster

Billx2 nice tab, I don't have the show handy to compare it to but sounds mighty nice either way. I was under the impression that they played this tune on the album and early 70's shows in the key of D and changed to E when they changed the band around in 79. Your tabbing a show from '72 and have it in the key of E. Were all the live versions of this song in E?

#21495  by Billbbill

ronster wrote:Billx2 nice tab, I don't have the show handy to compare it to but sounds mighty nice either way. I was under the impression that they played this tune on the album and early 70's shows in the key of D and changed to E when they changed the band around in 79. Your tabbing a show from '72 and have it in the key of E. Were all the live versions of this song in E?
Thanks ronster. I actually was streaming the show I tabbed from archive.org. I know they played it in both D & E but not sure how the different era's/acoustic vs electric factored in. I almost always play it in E cause I just have to be able to romp on that bass E throughout. Another thought - I haven't tuned my guitar in a while and it was totally in tune with the audio. Not likely I was that far out or the recording was that fast. Didn't think to check out any other tunes on that show for comparison.

#21499  by ronster

Bill
Try using a dropped D tuning (tune your low E sting to D) and play it in D. You can tear up leads and chords on the 7th and 9th fret while smacking the open D and A low strings until your fingers blead. What a hoot.
Played hockey tonight, drank some beers, and came home and wailed on that for 1/2 an hour. What a great time to be alive. :cool:

#21539  by DenverEd

The version on 9/21/72 is pretty close to the one later that week. I hear an E7 to start then a slide from D#7 back to E7 then I can't quite figure out what the next little ditty that gets played.

#21549  by BlobWeird

DenverEd wrote:The version on 9/21/72 is pretty close to the one later that week. I hear an E7 to start then a slide from D#7 back to E7 then I can't quite figure out what the next little ditty that gets played.
Could be wrong comparing to your version but going by the Field Trip version (8/27/72) he is goin from D7 to E7 no D#7. So he will start on E7 then go to D7 then slide into the E7 and sometimes then he will add the A note to the E7. Not sure what chord that would make though. Anyone know? It would be:
x

#21550  by strumminsix

Overall to my ears I strongly here overtones of complimenting the E major chord with other chords specifically ones with both a D and B.

I'd suggest playing with this first then read on.

Verses I play with
E > E7 or
E > D or
E > D6

Now talking jamming...
E, E7, D, D6, E9, Ddim7