#16999  by shakedown_04092

Hey guys

Need some tips/licks for that Am that starts the Chorus. It kind of sounds stale when you just sit and strum the Am through the entire "Half-step....Mississippi uptown.....toodeloo" part. Have some other riffs (below) for the song but was looking for something during the Am. Any suggestions?

So far, I have this nifty lick after the E7 before going into the chorus (played very fast):

Code: Select all
e-------------------------------
B-------------------------------
G-------------------------------
D--------7-9-7------------------
A--7-8-10------10-8-7-----------
E---------------------10-8-7-5--
or if you extend your voice on that final word (e.g. - "and no one's...got the tiiiiiiiiiiiiime") then you can play this short quick riff into the chorus after you've sung the word:

e--------------------
B--------------------
G-------------------- 
D---0h2---0h2-0------
A----------------2---
E--------------------

And these riffs that can go after you sing "Half-step Mississippi uptown toodeloo" part, the Am leading you into the F (fast still):
e-----------------
B-----------------
G-----------------
D------------5----
A--------5-7---8--
E--5-7-8----------
or...
e--------------------------
B---------8----------------
G--7b9-b9—--7p5------------
D--------------7-5---------
A------------------7-5--8--
E--------------------------

Also have this riff you can play after the "G" in the chorus to get you back to the "F":
e------------
B------------
G------------
D------------
A-------7^8--
E--8h10------
Just a couple of things to spice the song up :) 8)
Last edited by shakedown_04092 on Sun May 27, 2007 7:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

#17002  by tigerstrat

Descending bass line.

#17009  by shakedown_04092

Thanks.

The only thing I've come up with is sliding quickly to the Ab and then back to the A between "half-step..." and "...mississippi" and then adding a B in the bass on guitar when "uptown" is sung, but I'm not sure that's right. Sounds ok, but I'm looking for more, I guess. With our bass player playing the descending bass riff, and our rhythm guitarist playing, well, rhythm, I am looking for something more involved but am coming up short. I suppose I'll keep searching the archive for a good lick, but if you have anything, let me know.

#17017  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

You could keep it simple, a la Jerry and just alternate the bass note between A and the E below it on the 5th string.