#22931  by strumminsix

(/) Slide Up () Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|----------------------------|-----------------------|-----
B|----------------------------|-----------------------|-----
G|--------------------5h6-----|--------------------5--|-----
D|--7--7p5-----5h7p5-------7--|--7--7p5-----5h7p5-----|-----
A|----------7-----------------|----------7------------|-----
http://www.guitartabcreator.com
cplayer2 liked this
 #22948  by XxRouninxX

not sure what version exactly i have in my head, but heres how i tend to play it, but i might be mergings to guitar parts into one lick, but i think this is what bobby's doin before jerry does the 5h6 7 stuff

im not knockin yours, just sharing my ideas :)

E|---------------------------------
B|---------------------------------
G|-------------------------5b6-----
D|-------7----7--5-----------------
A|------------------5h6h7----------
E|--0/5----------------------------

E|--------------------------------
B|--------------------------------
G|--------------------------------
D|-----7----7--5------------------
A|----------------5h6h7p6p5\3-----
E|--------------------------------
cplayer2 liked this

#22950  by strumminsix

Well it's what I picked up from part of 5/7/77 so maybe it wasn't the standard Bobby thing. I've never really heard him all that clearly since Jerry is usually picking away and I get lost in his notes!

#22952  by XxRouninxX

its from this version of big river i listened to about a year ago in my winamp when i had a whole bunch of downloaded stuff unsorted, i cant remember where it came from, but its not the 5/7/77 version, ill look for a version that sounds a bit more like what i play.

and yeah i actually have a hard time picking up most of bobby's stuff, but somehow i was jammin to the track and the licks came to me, you know how it can be :)
 #22953  by jackr

strumminsix wrote:(/) Slide Up () Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

That tab is horrible. It is one note off. :-) (sorry I couldnt resist in light of recent posts!

#22954  by XxRouninxX

this is more of what i was talkin about, you can really hear bobby in the beginning

http://www.archive.org/details/gd72-09- ... sbeok.shnf

this is about how that one sounds to me
E|----------------------------------
B|----------------------------------
G|----------------------------------
D|-------7--7--7p5-------5----------
A|------------------6/7-----6p5-----
E|--0/5-----------------------------

E|------------------------------
B|------------------------------
G|----------------------5b6-----
D|-----7--7--7--7p5-------------
A|-------------------7----------
E|--5---------------------------

sounds a bit more like this.. i love this version of big river, but i like the intro to 5-7-77 more :P
 #22991  by strumminsix

jackr wrote: That tab is horrible. It is one note off. :-) (sorry I couldnt resist in light of recent posts!

You are an idiot. I'm more like 4 notes off :lol: maybe more!

Hehehehe...

Play away! I find errors all the time in shit I play.
I kinda like that cuz that means I'm still learning.
Plus I love smart-ass banter! Makes my world go 'round!

#22993  by XxRouninxX

well i dont like playing a song note for note exact, i like to figure out how the originals play it, then find the notes myself, and theres always variations. Its like old folk stories passed from generation to generation getting tweaked every time. you know but when tabbing and sharing with ppl its just a point of relationship like "oh i know that version how do YOU play it?"

i wasn't tryin to correct you, i listened to the 5-7-77 version again and your tab is dead on to what i coudl hear of bobby before jerry came in :)

#22996  by strumminsix

XxRouninxX wrote:well i dont like playing a song note for note exact, i like to figure out how the originals play it, then find the notes myself, and theres always variations. Its like old folk stories passed from generation to generation getting tweaked every time. you know but when tabbing and sharing with ppl its just a point of relationship like "oh i know that version how do YOU play it?"
Totally! Same here! My little formula is like this:
Figure out how to play the original way
Determine which parts are key "hooks" and keep playing those
Add a sprinkle of strumminsix to the non-hooks so it has life!
XxRouninxX wrote: i wasn't tryin to correct you, i listened to the 5-7-77 version again and your tab is dead on to what i coudl hear of bobby before jerry came in :)
Dude, I like being corrected don't ever worry about it. If you look thru some threads here you'll see me contradict myself some time after an original post of mine cuz I learned something new.

Thanks for the re-assurance to what my ears were hearing.

BTW, with regards to the first point of adding our own styles, here is how I'm playing it today:

(/) Slide Up () Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

E|---------------------------------|-----------------------|-----
B|---------------------------------|-----------------------|-----
G|-----------------------5h6p5-----|--------------------5--|-----
D|-----7--7p5-----5h7p5---------7--|--7--7p5-----5h6h7-----|-----
A|-------------7-------------------|----------7------------|-----
E|---------------------------------|-----------------------|-----
cplayer2 liked this

#23058  by BOUKINATOR

hey Strummin... I saw this thread and had to laugh... I totally stepped on your vocals last night at the start... I've played this tune at least 50x live and always sing lead... took me a minute to adjust to the high harmony but it fell together pretty good!

never did an Uncle>River btw... let's do Mexicali next time!
 #164277  by cplayer2

strumminsix wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:38 pm (/) Slide Up () Slide Down (h) Hammer On (p) Pull Off (b) Bend (r) Release (v) Vibrato

this is very helpful, thank you! for this portion of the song, is this the part that almost sounds like the opening of CC Rider from Bobby's riffs? I'm searching for guidance on that piece of the song.
 #171797  by FromWichita

I have to share my opinion the hottest opening to Big River I've ever heard is from Boston Garden, 5/7/77. I could listen to Bob and Jerry's complimentary playing in that intro over and over on a loop.

Destitutus ventis, remos adhibe.
"If the wind fails you, use the oars."