#54605  by unquashable

I was listening to "Dead Set" the other day and noticed it sounds like both Jerry and Bobby are playing slide for this tune. Can anyone verrify that? Does anyone know if Bobby and/or Jerry use alternate tunings for slide, or do they both always slide in standard?
 #54606  by tigerstrat

unquashable wrote:I was listening to "Dead Set" the other day and noticed it sounds like both Jerry and Bobby are playing slide for this tune. Can anyone verrify that? Does anyone know if Bobby and/or Jerry use alternate tunings for slide, or do they both always slide in standard?
Having seen them perform Rooster probably a couple dozen times live, I can confirm that both Bob and Jerry play slide solos (Jerry's is obviously the last solo). Never once saw/heard either of them change from standard tuning for any song.
 #54612  by jonarobb

tigerstrat wrote:
unquashable wrote:I was listening to "Dead Set" the other day and noticed it sounds like both Jerry and Bobby are playing slide for this tune. Can anyone verrify that? Does anyone know if Bobby and/or Jerry use alternate tunings for slide, or do they both always slide in standard?
Having seen them perform Rooster probably a couple dozen times live, I can confirm that both Bob and Jerry play slide solos (Jerry's is obviously the last solo). Never once saw/heard either of them change from standard tuning for any song.
You'll notice that on the RCMH video Garcia only takes one solo after the second verse, Weir takes the last solo. Wonder how often that happened.
 #54613  by astroman99

During the intro they play slide simultaneouesly(sic) on this and CC Rider, once or twice anyway.
 #54638  by tigerstrat

jonarobb wrote:
You'll notice that on the RCMH video Garcia only takes one solo after the second verse, Weir takes the last solo. Wonder how often that happened.
Dead Ahead? I haven't seen that in ages. I do remember a hard edit or two in that one; do you think this could be an edit (to shorten running time)??
 #54640  by jonarobb

tigerstrat wrote:
jonarobb wrote:
Dead Ahead? I haven't seen that in ages. I do remember a hard edit or two in that one; do you think this could be an edit (to shorten running time)??

I was thinkin' the same thing so I went to the audio tape and Weir sings the last verse after his slide solo...
 #54665  by CountryMile Cadillac

This is from an '81 interveiw with Bob...

Do you switch instruments when you play slide guitar?
No, I use the same one. I like playing out of standard tuning because it allows me to switch to palying slide at a moment's notice if the whim hits me. If I get used to playing in open tuning I can't do that, so I just arbitrarily decided to stick to standard tuning.

What kind of slide do you use?
It's brass. I think there are a number of different makes, but they're all about the same size. I just line it with leather or something to keep it tight. Other than that I just try not to lose it, because you can get pretty attached to it. I wear it on my little finger. That leaves my other fingers free to chord and play notes. I've been sort of playing around with hammering-on and pulling-off with the slide and working on positions up the neck. It's something you can develop a touch for and it's not all that hard to do, but there are some things you can't do in standard tuning.