#3265  by poppiseed

Hey looking for hints and tips: Basically the band that I am in, the vocal is having difficulty begining vocals for verses. The timing of Jerry's is very unique in the sence that it acutally begins on an off beat that is rather unconventional...I know when the vocal comes in due to the many times in which I heard, listened, whitnessed this song. Are there any concrete solutions to this problem...I feel like I am running in circles trying to explain this phenomenon.

#3273  by strumminsix

Ya, the vocals jump before the one (caps on the 1):
"i had a HARD run, running from you window"

It's not difficult and really one of the easier songs.
It just requires practice this technique is not unique to Bertha.

#3655  by deadbaby1983

wow how strange, i was going over this song last night and really had a time getting the rhythm right, not a difficult one but a time...i suggest seperating the guitars with one side of the headphones...the tab is not correct in the timing and number of strums weir makes -he stradles behind a bit while jerry does the g-c gc gc gc staccato-shuffle rhythym...anyways...but heh yeah the song is a bitch to sing and play at the same time...after an hour or so it will gel...

#3657  by knip

just sing it a bunch of times leaving out the words that come before the '1'...start of "...HARD time..."

then when comfortable, throw the first few words in, it'll come naturally

#3664  by tigerstrat

To me this is one of the easiest tunes to sing and play! The first part of the chorus can be a little tricky I guess, but the verse is pretty simple, as has been posted, just line up the right word with the One beat.

(1,2,3)(I had a)HARD run(2,3,4,1,2)(running from your) WIN-dow(2,3,4,1,2,3)(I was all night)RUN-ning(2,3,4,1,2)(I wonder if you)CARE(2,3,4,1,2,3...)
 #11834  by XxRouninxX

this actually seems more natural to sing while playing guitar, than to just sing it.It helps if you get in the feeling of the bubbliness of the strumming too.

Its like theres a certain chunk of the lyrics that starts right before the actual first bar of the verse, i like to spontaneously slur them (i had a-) and (dressed myself in-) while i slide from my g chord to my c chord (which sounds way better than changing your root to the 5th strong).

Just have ur singer remember those little pieces before, and just kinda slur them in as less of words and more of a sound, and hit the right words like (hard run) and (green) respectively, when the C chord starts the verse.

Thats what I do, just have him be kinda spontaneous with it, because a few of the parts are longer than others.

#11853  by b weird

Hey tigerstrat what do those numbers mean in your post I can't figure it out. Also I was playing this song for the first time last night and man it really IS a bitch to play.

#11855  by strumminsix

b weird wrote:Hey tigerstrat what do those numbers mean in your post I can't figure it out. Also I was playing this song for the first time last night and man it really IS a bitch to play.
The beat.

Seems like this song start singing on the 3/4 and ends on the 1.

Odd. Never thought about it just played it.

#11857  by b weird

Oh,the beat I should have known. I feel like a fool. :oops:

#36616  by weirimpressed

dont over-analyze it man, sing the (I had a) right before you play the c, then when you make the transition its (HARD TIME running from your window).

get in the zone and itll work itself out haha
:D

#36620  by strumminsix

weirimpressed wrote:dont over-analyze it man, sing the (I had a) right before you play the c, then when you make the transition its (HARD TIME running from your window).

get in the zone and itll work itself out haha
:D
Yes over analyze it. If you cannot count out your beats and changes you are screwed. If you cannot count your bears you sound timid in "the zone".

#36623  by Tennessee Jedi

Count the Bears?
Waz that?
Is that a Chicago thing?
Is it like counting sheep?
Never heard that expression before. :cool:

#36624  by strumminsix

LOL, TJ. You can count on the Bears to lose...

Of course I meant beats :x

#36625  by Tennessee Jedi

Ok Ok....
Can you tell me what "Tyming" is?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So Strum you a football guy?
Hows all the new gear?
Are you digging what you got? :cool:

#36626  by old man down

Great song. Highly recommend Skull & Roses as the sole version to learn from to get your chops right. Otherwise you'll laze into Dreadful Dead tempos like the bastardization of FOTD, a la slow motion.

Anyone who says the rhythm is simple doesn't get it.

Weir's is much harder than Garcia's. Nice, light, over the top of the strings, rhythm strokes. Play right along with the CD with one speaker unplugged and you'll hear either one of them VERY clearly.

Once you find the groove, it is infectious. But turn the CD off and you'll fall off the track in short order. It is difficult to get the same fast pace.