#31699  by bodiddley

So when/who did the first reggea version of this tune? I believe it went Marley>Clapton>Jerry, or did Jer do it that way before Clapton recorded it? I believe I remember hearing that Clapton did it that way after hearing Marley's version.

#31716  by tigerstrat

I've never heard Marley's KOHD.

Could it have been Dylan himself? I remember a really fun reggae version of "Don't Think Twice"on Live At Budokan

#31719  by warrenMFKNhaynes

marley never did knockin.

#31720  by Rev_Roach

bodiddley, you seem to be confused with I Shot the Sheriff, which Marley wrote and Clapton later played

#31735  by bodiddley

Maybe I am but I swear Marley did a version of knockin'...oh well. Either way I still want to know if Clapton did it that way before Jer.

#31739  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I'll guess Clapton should be credited for producing KOHD as a reggae tune. Safe to say Jerry and EC are and were both huge fans of the Kingston sound.

#31812  by tigerstrat

Clapton released KoHD as a single in 1975. Garcia took the same arrangement, slowed it down, and debuted it at Keystone Berkeley 1/28/76.

#31815  by Mr.Charlie

don't want to sound like a dick, but it was 1/27/76, which by the way, was a KILLER show. An unbelievable "The Harder they Come" and "Road Runner" and also a very good "Mystery Train". I gotta admit though, I always thought Jerry's KOHD was just too a little too much, too slow

#31817  by tigerstrat

Mr.Charlie wrote:don't want to sound like a dick, but it was 1/27/76, which by the way, was a KILLER show. An unbelievable "The Harder they Come" and "Road Runner" and also a very good "Mystery Train". I gotta admit though, I always thought Jerry's KOHD was just too a little too much, too slow
I figured it could have been one of the earler nights but my Deadbase VI has incomplete lists except for the 28th. I would agree 1976 versions are VERY slow- most of the songs in 1976 are imo. I prefer the more energetic pace of ones more like 11/10/81 Late... you really get more of that reggae lift in the chorus, approaching a fuller "skank" feel.

#31821  by Mr.Charlie

yeah, i'm with you on the later versions, much better. But I still think the stuff from '76, '77 is amazing, not as much the slow stuff, but like 1/27/76, there are definitely some upbeat stuff, like the road runner, the mystery train. If you haven't heard that road runner I highly recommend checking it out, the solo is amazing, and i just love the way Jerry does that song. Also, Don't Let Go is a great disc, you really can't go wrong with mid to late seventies Jerry Band, my personal favorite.

#31823  by tigerstrat

Mr.Charlie wrote:yeah, i'm with you on the later versions, much better. But I still think the stuff from '76, '77 is amazing, not as much the slow stuff, but like 1/27/76, there are definitely some upbeat stuff, like the road runner, the mystery train. If you haven't heard that road runner I highly recommend checking it out, the solo is amazing, and i just love the way Jerry does that song. Also, Don't Let Go is a great disc, you really can't go wrong with mid to late seventies Jerry Band, my personal favorite.
Right you are, in fact the only Roadrunner I have is 6/16/82 (which is a monster, LOVE Billy K drumming for JGB)...

#31844  by bodiddley

What was the deal in '76? There is some killer stuff but man some of those tempos...You could take a dump between beats. Were these guys just eating up every qualude in site or what? The later JGB Knockin's were better IMO.

#31852  by Mr.Charlie

haha, classic, yeah, the KOHD were like that, another one was The night they drove old dixie down, that they did so slow its incredible. I'm not sure what the idea was, taking ballads and making them more...ballad like? either way, to anyone wanting some rocking '76 JGB, 1/27/76 is INCREDIBLE, the road runner rocks my world.

#31863  by Rev_Roach

on those slow jgb songs like dixie and knockin on heavens door i find any sung parts pretty rough but still love jerry's playing when he gets wailing. tomorrow is forever is another like that
 #31875  by Chuckles

bodiddley wrote:So when/who did the first reggea version of this tune? I believe it went Marley>Clapton>Jerry, or did Jer do it that way before Clapton recorded it? I believe I remember hearing that Clapton did it that way after hearing Marley's version.
Seriously?

Dylan wrote it, Clapton covered it and gave it the rastafari beat. Jerry picked it up from that.