#83574  by jennica

I can't get over the one on Europe 72. It's so tight and together and the harmonies... ahhhh...

yours?
 #83576  by jdasa

9/9/87, Providence Civiv Center.

Oh my!

I don't like the early Jack Straws as much (not that I don't like them...), because the jams were not as extended.
 #83579  by tigerstrat

Syracuse 10/20/84
 #83580  by mijknahs

4/13/83. Burlington, VT.
 #83612  by Poor Peter

Alpine 87' There was a ball of energy that came off the stage during this one. You could feel it coming, then pass right through you. Many people around me felt the same thing, as well as my friends who were sitting on the lawn. It was the topic of discussion for the next few days. Only aud tapes of it exist.
 #83615  by mijknahs

For me, only Audience tapes get close in capturing the energy. Good example is the version I gave 4/13/83. I can't stand to listen to the Jack Straw on the SBD version. Boring. I love hearing the Phil bomb and the cheering after "...cut his buddy down!".

Great solo on the TLEO (lots of nice ghost bends) and a smoking BIODTL after that (like a runaway freight train).
 #83747  by Kaifusha

Philly Spectrum, 3-31-87 is tasty.
 #83749  by bodiddley

Poor Peter wrote:Alpine 87' There was a ball of energy that came off the stage during this one. You could feel it coming, then pass right through you. Many people around me felt the same thing, as well as my friends who were sitting on the lawn. It was the topic of discussion for the next few days. Only aud tapes of it exist.
That was my first show and although I'd love to say I remember that JS, I simply don't. I was tripping balls and everything was all still so new to me. The only songs I really remember from that show are the "Thrownin' Stones>NFA" & the Quinn.

PS. I wish some boards of those shows would turn up. The wind in the mics is really distracting.
 #149810  by oceanbear11

tigerstrat wrote:Syracuse 10/20/84
I was gonna suggest this one, but you beat me to it!
I definitely second this post. The whole show blows me away.
 #149825  by kurt eye

Worcester Centrum '88 was the best version I heard live. Didn't have tickets but listened to the live FM radio broadcast. The host was cautioning the listeners that Jerry was sick with a cold and was really lowering expectations. They opened with JS it started out slow then Jerry nailed the solo break. The crowd roared and you could feel the energy swell and goose bumps. You knew the band was on. The energy remained through the rest of the show.
 #149826  by Searing75

12/30/77? I think? DP10. That is a ripping Jack Straw. Jerry is going after it real hard. So hard, he hits a wrong chord, but the raw energy is incredible! I have not heard many of the other versions mentioned here, but will check them out!
 #149829  by GratefulMets

So many Jacks, so little time...

1. 11/6/79 - Spectrum - (the 2nd jam is epic) https://archive.org/details/gd79-11-06. ... sbeok.shnf

2. 5/15/80 - Go To Nassau - (just tasty, the 2nd jam is a real clinic of Jerry phrasing, tone and licks)

3. Europe '72

4. 7/2/88- Oxford, ME. (Just because of Phil!! Otherwise, it's pretty much a mess :))

Listening to these is really making me feel thankful for having had the chance to see Jerry play so many times! How lucky are/were we?

Wishing you all a happy holiday weekend!