#37370  by Dozin

Do you guys play the G#m or the Emaj7 here?

A E G#m or Emaj7 D A
'Cause we done shared all of mine.

Also, does anyone know the slide that Weir does when they go into I just jumped the watchman. Like the version on Goin' to Nassau?

#37373  by strumminsix

Totally G#m. An Emaj7 sounds wrong there. But maybe a B if the G#m is wrong.

Funny thing about the maj7s sound awfully close to their major 5th.

Hmmm, Nassua is in my car but I hear just a regular slide of the E7sus4 on most versions...
 #37376  by Chuckles

Dozin wrote:Do you guys play the G#m or the Emaj7 here?

A E G#m or Emaj7 D A
'Cause we done shared all of mine.

Also, does anyone know the slide that Weir does when they go into I just jumped the watchman. Like the version on Goin' to Nassau?
I've always played the G#m, but you got me (and about a hundred others, I bet) reaching for their guitars and trying both... they both sound right!!! :shock:

Went to check some of my vids, and the Radio City '80 (and others) show Bobby going consistently to the fourth fret position every time, while Jer is up at the 7th fret on the Emaj7 - or at least playing that 7 in a descending run. At least, that's what I first thought... till I noticed Bobby wasn't barring the chord, but playing it in an "open F" grip. So, could Bobby be plaing an Emaj7 at the 4th fret?

Give it a try:

E...

E 4
B 5
G 4
D 6
A 6
E
...A

Sounds god-awful, doesn't it?

When you think about it, though, the Emaj7 has the tonic E, whereas the G#m doesn't. In early versions - like, say the Europe '72 - the progression is much more pronounced than in later versions. This could very well be due to Bobby staying with the G#m while Jerry developed licks that included the 7, which rounds out the sound. Anyway, just my $.02. Counterpoints, harmonies and all that technical crap... :lol:

Don't know what you mean on the slide... got an archive link?
Last edited by Chuckles on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

#37377  by Chuckles

strumminsix wrote:Totally G#m. An Emaj7 sounds wrong there. But maybe a B if the G#m is wrong.
It goes to the B instead of the G#m/Emaj7 before the A before the bridge...

Try the Emaj7 at the 7th fret and play the entire thing between the 4th & 7th frets... it actually does sound like it fits. But not where Bobby played it.

#37402  by BlobWeird

Id have to say I totally hear Emaj7 here.

#37408  by GratefulPat

either works, i play g#m though

#37409  by st. stephen

mmh just look at both chords at the 4th fret, the Emaj7 is just a G#m chord with the added E as the new root note on the A string. I'm pretty sure that both Bobby and Jerry played chords almost all the time on the top 4 strings, so you there you go. In my eyes you can't hear the difference if you play it like this...
I play the Emaj7 though, but me too I just play the top4 strings.

#37418  by strumminsix

Just listened to Nassau... IMO:
Def a G#m. Nothing special about the slide to E7sus4.

But I don't have anywhere I can listen to it w/headphones to be sure.

#37424  by Dozin

I normally play G#m too. The other guy wants to start doing it with Emaj7. So I was curious what you guys thought.
x
x

love them bobby minor chords

I've tried the standard Emaj7 slide but it doesn't sound right to me. I'm obviously doing something wrong. I play that chord between the 7th and 9th fret.
Last edited by Dozin on Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#37427  by strumminsix

Chris, play a B6 and really throw them for a loop.

Seriously, play an Emaj7 off the 2nd fret (kinda like a B6).

Or you totally could fuck with them and play:
E / Bm D | A / E Emaj7 | Bm / F#m / / /

#37479  by pappypgh

:shock: Never thought about that Emaj7 before...it does sound okay, but the E in the bass (if you play an E in the bass) gives it a different feel. Not a bad feel, but it's not what they play. As stated earlier by someone, if you're only playing the top few strings, it's 6 of one 1/2 a dozen of another, if there's no bass note. BUT, it's a G#m. Several vids exist from '72 and early 80s and Bob plays the full barre chord G#m. Don't have links to 'em, but they're out there. The G# bass note is what makes it, IMO.