#106512  by Walknbluez

When listening to some 70's versions of Jack straw, it seems like the tempo remains the same after the "Keep a rolling, Just a mile to go, Keep on rolling, my old buddy You're moving much too slow" verse and into "I just jumped the watchman verse" and then goes to cut time on "Hurts my ears to listen". Or does it go to cut time on "I just jumped..."?
 #106594  by mijknahs

Probably depends on what version. The 70's were a big era. The first versions Bob did all the parts and it was all kinda slow. I prefer the early 80's versions where it definitely speeds up on "I just jumped the watchman".
 #106596  by gr8fullfred

Personally I like the 90-91 versions with Bruce. Actually I like the stuff with Bruce alot.

My advice on the tempos is to just go with the flow. I mean I do not even think about it. Of course it helps if you are a total dead head freak and have listened to Jackstraw 1000s of times. Then you are ready. Let the drummer figure out the tempo. The feel changes at the "jumped the watchman part". Find a few shows and jam with them for like 100 hours and you will not need to worry about the tempo.

Fred
 #106603  by JonnyBoy

We normally hit the cut time at the "i just jumped..." but its a volume and tempo/dynamic build up that can actually increase 10-15 BPM as that section rolls on to its creshendo, "Might as well be meeeeeeee,, yhea!" ....then the magic starts balls to the wall. But, I would not be surprised to hear it done every way to saturday thru the years. FRED has a point, finding your own way is less contrived and way more interesting IMO for all involved including the listener, while still remaining very Dead-esque/authentic.
How would the Dead do it? The way they fucking want to. :D Plus, after playing it 50-60 times you may wanna have a change in ways like they did, so going your own way with the small stuff from the start won't hurt the final product, IMO.
 #106609  by mijknahs

I'm totally bored with many versions of Jack Straw in the 70's. Too tame. No climactic jam. Just some brief noodling before "Jack Straw from Wichita".

I'm glad the Dead developed the song into an exciting set opener (or even first set barn burner closer - check out 8/30/1980)
 #106610  by JonnyBoy

Yhea, we take it down some barn burning roads for sure, but also take advantage of the wide use of tempo it was written with. We will actually bring it down to a slow low dynamic before leaving Texas, and at the end of the song right before the last line, (which is my favorite part). Basically It crawls on verses then sprints after the "might as well be meeee" then after a 3 minute OD driven guitar tear up, it crawls back to the verse. Then after the last tear up (like above but 2nd go around keep us on the runnnn) we go for about 2 minutes kinda heavy we will drop into an E///D/// slow Dark Star/ kinda tempo thang w/ guitar solo delay then land into the ending slow and low... 8-9 minutes at least. We are talking about revamping it totally tho, it is easy to get bored doing things over and over the same way, even if its cool I guess.
 #106615  by mijknahs

I love how it slows down at "My old buddy you're moving much to sloooow". Like hitting the brakes after a crazy ride and fits so well with the lyrics.
 #106616  by Octal

mijknahs wrote:I'm totally bored with many versions of Jack Straw in the 70's. Too tame. No climactic jam. Just some brief noodling before "Jack Straw from Wichita".
I always just assumed that I didn't understand what was going on. The melodic genius (or lack thereof) was just going over my head. Although maybe there isn't anything there.
 #161856  by FromWichita

For 70's Jack Straws, I cannot recommend greater examples than:

9-18-74
5-21-77
5-8-77
11-1-77
11-6-77
1-22-78
4-12-78
7-1-78
9-2-78
 #161859  by Poor Peter

Greatest Jack Straw ev-ah! (for me anyway) 6-28-87 Sunday show at Alpine. First set closer. Only aud recordings exist as far as I know. During the peak of the jam a ball of energy left the stage out into the crowd. You could feel it coming and then pass right through you and beyond. It was as real as it gets. Total strangers were all looking at one another saying OMFG did u feel that? I could hear people talking about it all around me. My friends who were on the lawn (I had a pavilion seat) felt it too. When we met at our campsite after the show as I was walking up they were talking about it. It was as surreal a moment as I had ever expierenced at the 100 + shows I saw. Sorry if Im off topic but I love to share that story.
Gr8fulCadi and 1 others liked this
 #161861  by Gr8fulCadi

Poor Peter wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm Greatest Jack Straw ev-ah! (for me anyway) 6-28-87 Sunday show at Alpine. First set closer. Only aud recordings exist as far as I know. During the peak of the jam a ball of energy left the stage out into the crowd. You could feel it coming and then pass right through you and beyond. It was as real as it gets. Total strangers were all looking at one another saying OMFG did u feel that? I could hear people talking about it all around me. My friends who were on the lawn (I had a pavilion seat) felt it too. When we met at our campsite after the show as I was walking up they were talking about it. It was as surreal a moment as I had ever expierenced at the 100 + shows I saw. Sorry if Im off topic but I love to share that story.
Jus listened to it on Relisten, Holy Smokes!!! Goose bumps at the end of the that 2nd jam!!!! :D
 #161863  by playingdead

There is a version from the Lyceum in London -- 5-26-72 -- where Billy goes right to the cut time on the "watchman" E verse but is only hitting the snare on the 2 and holding off on the 4.

Our drummers usually will go to the cut time on the "hurts my ears" F# verse, which picks it up in a nice way. It also allows for the Mickey-style tom rolls on the "1" during the first portion of the E verse -- ours usually do that for the "gotta go to Tulsa" verse. Example:

https://soundcloud.com/vicderobertis/01jackstraw
 #161865  by strumminsix

Imma say this... I don't hear the BPM change. Just going from a common to cut time and back. Sure during the jams they add intensity that might bring them up a couple beats as is the nature. But I don't think the pulse of the song changes. Just the substratum.

Check this out from about 21-26