#20075  by b weird

Please, does anyone know the scales for this song and/or the solo's for the Garcia Plays Dylan version? Thanks.

#20080  by bodiddley

Aren't they the same as for C.C. Rider? Maybe look for those? Check JDarks.com and ask him if he doesn't, he might help ya out.

#20138  by ronster

Play an A scale for the main part and then on the G D E E7 part play leads using the actual chord shapes ala the caged method. Get bluesy and nasty when you hit the E7 part (use an e blues scale). In fact this is the ideal tune for teaching the caged system. Try playing your leads over a differnt chord shaped each time around to get new ideas and sounds.

#42515  by sack the wack

Can someone give me a clear explanation for how the caged system works and what it is? Know of a site I could go to? Are there circumstances where it is more applicable than another?

#42531  by Rev_Roach

in short, the CAGED method is just taking the open chords and barring them up higher frets. you probably do this all the time with A and E, but C G and D work well too. major or minor.

the pieces of each one kind of blend into each other (C and D are good example) and a good understanding of different voicings will do a lot to help you vary your rhythm playing, as well as helping with leads where you change with the chord (as opposed to just sticking with one scale).

CAGED is discussed further here: http://community.rukind.org/viewtopic.p ... ight=caged

You can also play lead over songs like this just be knowing the fretboard and leaning mostly on the notes that build each chord.

#42536  by Chuckles

I've read up on the CAGED method here and agree... but isn't the D really just the C moved up two frets?
:?:

#42541  by Rev_Roach

but isn't the D really just the C moved up two frets?
and isnt the A just E moved up one string? :lol:

#42546  by Pete B.

but isn't the D really just the C moved up two frets?
Say you are playing a D chord in open position (or 12 frets up), you play the D position scale "behind" the chord shape (play Do-Re-Me,etc... from the open D on the 4th string, fret 0, [or fret 12]), and you play the C position you are playing "in front of" the D-shape, (basically right on top of the C-chord shape) starting on the D note on the 5th string, 5th fret (or 5th string 17th fret if you are 12 frets up).