#22519  by BOUKINATOR

I know this is a lame topic.. but I'm bored.

#22551  by Rev_Roach

anyone have any idea what those (presumably) cajun words mean?

jaquemo feenai yay!

#22561  by The Other One

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iko_Iko
Interviewer: How did you construct 'Jock-A-Mo?'
Crawford: It came from two Indian chants that I put music to. “Iko Iko” was like a victory chant that the Indians would shout. “Jock-A-Mo” was a chant that was called when the Indians went into battle. I just put them together and made a song out of them. Really it was just like “Lawdy Miss Clawdy.” That was a phrase everybody in New Orleans used. Lloyd Price just added music to it and it became a hit. I was just trying to write a catchy song....
Interviewer: Listeners wonder what 'Jock-A-Mo' means. Some music scholars say it translates in Mardi Gras Indian lingo as 'Kiss my ass,' and I’ve read where some think Jock-A-Mo was a court jester. What does it mean?
Crawford: I really don't know. (laughs)
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 82c054a~T1

#22586  by Rev_Roach

hah good find!

#22592  by thestranger

theres an interview on a concert DVD where the interviewer asks the dead what the line means. Bobby snighly translates it into "kiss mt ass" for them and the band all laughs

#22631  by BOUKINATOR

saw that.. it's hilarious... bob's all tongue-tied trying to explain it and Jerry has this look on his face like "oh jesus here we go"... I think it's on Ticket To New Year's... here's another one:

fan: "hey Jerry I heard you have your missing finger encased in ice somewhere and I was just wondering if you're ever going to pull it out?"

jerry: "pull THIS out buddy"

#29984  by XxRouninxX

Thanks to Adam Wasserman for the following information:

Iko Iko (as well as other songs such as Big Chief, Hey Pokey-Way, New Suit, Fire Water) has a very specific meaning. They are all New Orleans Mardi Gras songs about the Black Indians. Black Indians are parade crewes (tribes) that parade through the New Orleans streets on Mardi Gras wearing extravagant ceremonial Indian clothes. They face off when they meet and have battles of clothing, dancing, and singing. The Spy Boy is a ceremonial position (the front runner who scouts out other tribes to do battle with) as is the Flag Boy, Wild Man, and Big Chief. Friends and family who follow are in the "second line" and are therefore second liners. So lines like "My spy boy to your spy boy, I'm gonna set your tail on fire" are ceremonial challenges to the other tribe.

"Joc-a-mo-fee-no-ah-nah-nay, Joc-a-mo-fee-nah-nay" is a ritual chant used by the Mardi Gras Indians which has been around for so long the words are no longer clearly distinguishable, and it has a well understood meaning of its own. Very, very loosely translated it signifies "we mean business" or "don't mess with us". Originally it would have been Cajun (a liberal mix of French and English) and literally translates to "the fool we will not play today".

One additional comment on the origins/meaning of "Iko":

"Iko and un day are Creole corruptions of the Gambian call ago! [pay attention] and the expected response, which is amay! [I/we are listening]. Chuck Davis of the African- American Dance Ensemble, which is based here in Durham, uses this device ubiquitously when he acts as Griot (master storyteller/master of ceremonies). When he calls "ago!" everyone is supposed to shout "amay!"--no matter what else is going on. He likes to slip this into the middle of various narrations just to make sure folks are paying attention. He also uses it as an introductory, "calm down" sort of exercise before he starts to speak, or to quiet the crowd if it gets noisy while he's speaking."

#30025  by krzykat

In Dead Ahead, Jerry got asked that same question and his reply was basically "Kiss my Ass"
 #122282  by Jimaroe

The Throwin' into Aiko from Pine Knob 6/20/91 is ridiculous for a "later" show. My first copy was a (non soundboard Maxell Tape) that was an absolutely horrible recording copy but it was still badass to my ears. It's on iTunes as part of the downloadable series. Has been one of my favorite versions for 20 years. Check it out if you're so inclined.
 #139710  by Doubtingthomas51

first post
I I would recommend a you tube search.
There is a phenomenal explanation of the language in this song.
Tantalizing hint: aiko or iko- doesn't matter- either way it comes by the way of a Creole corruption of the French "ecoute" as in "listen". The repetitions are actually a call and response. "Iko" gets "iko". It's like "listen" responded to with an (implied) no you "ecoute".
This song will lead you deep into New Orleans mythology. The"Indians", the second lines, etc. .
Have fun as this fundamental jam song offers a portal to a greater understanding of what we're all about with this thing.
"without music, life itself would be a mistake"- Nietzsche.