#1281  by bigfootcounty

Hey folks,

What scales do ya'll like to use to play the lead in rider? I generally play a pentatonic which I generally do when I don't know what else to do.

Also, Does it change key in the "gonna miss your baby..." part?

Thanks,
Chris

#1283  by stonemountain

At the "Gonna Miss Your Baby" I play an F-C chord progression. Check out the tab section of this site. :smile:

#1286  by bigfootcounty

Thanks I've got the chord progression. How do you play the lead?

#1287  by stonemountain

I hover between D Major and Minor Pentatonic mostly.

#1288  by Billbbill

A previous though I believe now deleted thread spoke about this as being in Gmaj. Beats the hell out of me how that is so though they sure sounded like they knew what they were talking about.

I play Dmaj Myxolydian (flat 7th (C)) which is the same as Gmaj Ionian and then what seems like Cmaj over the F-C chord portion. So I can sort of understand what they're saying except don't try and play Gmaj pentatonic over the D. Dmaj pentatonic works fine.

Also messing around with the flat 3rd (F) gives a phrase a nice edge. Bend it up to the 3rd or drop a half step and bend from the 2nd.

Maybe someone can chime in from a more technical perspective.

#2078  by jahozer

Wow, this forum's dead...pun intended. I guess I don't post much either. I don't know why, I love it. Anyway...
I consider the song to be in G maj but switching quickly to C maj for the "gonna miss" part.
I play D mixolydian, which I just consider G anyway, but it helps the phrasing considering the progression starts on D. Then switch to a C maj diatonic type scale for gonna miss part, then resolve back to D. You can wiggle around in the B pentatonic but you will not identify the key much.
 #2306  by spilly

your absolutly right kenny the song is in G, but insteed of switching to C at the end of the verse I've found slipping into D blues works best for me.
I'd also like to suggest trying a G6 (320000)instead of Em
i.e. F C F C G6 D
I see that you know what your talking about, but I thought I'd make the suggestion as I used to play the Em myself
you cosmic friend,
Spilly McGee
 #2324  by Kenny

red
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#2337  by spilly

Kenny,
I like your inturpritaion of said theory. In my town I'm the go to guy on all things theory, It'll be nice talking to someone who knows there stuff.
rock on brother
Spilly McGee

#2765  by jahozer

the song is in G, but insteed of switching to C at the end of the verse I've found slipping into D blues works best for me.
D blues is the logical extreme of the II (minor) in C. I forget the name of the mode.