#1696  by shakedown_04092

Can anyone "help" (yes pun, although lame, is intended) me figure out a good scale to use for the jam during Help, before they go back to the last verse?
:?

I've never played the solo part, I usually just jam through it, but I am itching to figure out what more to do here...

#1700  by Billbbill

OK Shakedown,

I'm not very technically oriented so I'll communicate this the best I can.

Here's the notes I play:

F-G-G#-Bb-C-D-Eb-F

I would guess this is some kind of Fm or Cm scale. For a more funky and bluesey and less spacey feel I riff in F blues pentatonic. That would be excluding the G and D. I find this works well over the Fm and Cm portion. You can even go to C blues pentatonic over the Cm chord as the difference between the C and F Blues scales is the C scale has the G and the F has the G#.

They all look like this side by side:

F-G-G#-Bb-C-D-Eb-F--------- the original minor scale

F---G#-Bb-C---Eb-F--------- F blues pentatonic

----------C---Eb-F-G-Bb-C-- C blues pentatonic

Over the "poised for..." portion you have to play around a bit to get the feel but the minor scales are a better fit than the pentatonic.

I'm sure others approach this differently, but this is how I look at it.

Bill
 #1702  by shakedown_04092

Hi Bill,

Thanks again, as always...

Geez, only 3 days in the forum and I'm already learning some great stuff. This'll keep me busy for hours....

Gotta run, open mic night tonight. I just learned "High Time" this afternoon and I figure I'll wheel that one out to the crowd...that should be a stinger!
 #164992  by __b_turner__

Here's what I do during the solo bit. It depends what I want to play at the moment, but my tactics are:

In the first four bars of Fm I either play around with a V7 to i in Fm (so I play around with a C7 arpeggio and then resolve by playing around a Fm arpeggio) or I play the approach tones for Fm, so in order E-F then G-Ab then B-C then D-Eb.

In the next four bars of Cm I play around Cm arpeggios, sometimes emphasizing the 9, sometimes using chromatic enclosures and scalar enclosures. I might also play around with a V7 to i in Cm as well, playing the arpeggios.

Then in those last eight bars of Fm to Eb to Dmin7b5 I play again with the Fm arpeggios and then to resolve to the Dmin7b5, I play what Jerry does, on the G string play these frets 8 10 8 7.

Repeat for the second round, but then in those bars where it goes Fm Eb Fm, I play a melody in the scale that resolves to a chord tone.

For the chorus (?), I play the melody, which is what Jerry does, on the E string its 13 11 10 7 8 10 11 13 11 10 7 8 10 11 10 8 14 14 12 10 9 10 14 12 10 12 10 14.

Sorry I don't know how to write tabs I actually just got an account after a year of looking through these forums.

A couple quick tips:

A lot of these soloing bits are about chromaticism, so don't be afraid to lean into those b5s and major 7ths of the chords and chromatic runs in general.

The scales I use are f dorian, c min pent and f minor pent, again leaning into 5 b5 4 triplet pulloffs.

Jerry plays with pedal tones in the solo bits and those sometimes sound super cool.

Scale runs, and sequencing are very good for this song.

Learn the arpeggios of the chords

Upper extensions sound great, 9s especially.

Make sure you keep the rhythm interesting, Jerry usually starts playing on the upbeat.

Transcribe some solos to get an idea of the things Jerry would've done

There are some great vids on YouTube that do lessons on Jerry's solos in this song note for note,check them out!

Check out Jdarks tabs for the solo.
MikeMcA liked this
 #166647  by carlo zakers

hello ... i break it down here, as well :) :-)

let me know if you have any questions ... a link to the TAB is included in the description of the video... have a most grateful day!