Phiga makeover

Phiga makeover

Postby JamGuy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:20 pm

I recently purchased a Phiga Bolt... absolutely gorgeous guitar but the electronics and wiring need some love. I'm going to gut it and start from scratch. I can't fathom building such a beautiful instrument and then skimping on the guts. Cheap pots and jacks... and suspect wiring. There's a push/pull pot which I don't care for to turn the preamp on/off... and the middle toggle only splits the bridge, not the neck.

In any event... what's the general preference for wiring? Waldo's schematic or the Brawer version? Or perhaps someone else has a version they'd like to share...
I think I used the Waldo version in my Strat and it turned out great but I'm open to other suggestions. I've never noticed an out of phase sound to it like the Bawer version apparently addresses. I like the general layout and shared neck/bridge controls. Anyhow... just putting out some feelers on peoples preferences before I tear into into it.

Cheers!
JamGuy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Re: Phiga makeover

Postby Frank N Stein » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:39 pm

I agree with you on the loop being a push/pull pot on volume knob. Seems to me every time I really get going I hit that knob and poof my guitar is out of the mix. I pretty much run the loop all the time and just switch effects on or off with my feet on my pedal board. I'm definitely going to monitor this thread and see what suggestions you get since I could use the info too. Great post!!
Frank N Stein
tiger
tiger

Postby TI4-1009 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:06 pm

When I got my Phiga Tiger five years ago I ordered it without electronics so I could do that part myself. I'd heard "some stories" about how Phil does the electronics, plus I was trying to save money, plus I like doing electronics anyway.

I used Waldo's schematic, it worked out fine. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounded like the OP is asking about the push-pull for the Waldo preamp, not the OBEL loop? If I were doing it again I might take Waldo's suggestion to use the push-pull pot for the preamp so that you can leave the cable plugged in and not drain the battery.

When I did Wolfish I put in a buffer and a blaster- switchable. I like having the option, and I notice a difference between the two. It just was a bit (more) of a challenge cramming everything in the cavity.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Gr8fulCadi » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Yes, Phil has gone to an adjustable gain style buffer with an on/off push/pull volume pot. I don't care for the off position (no buffer) so I'm gonna do a full rewire myself. I already got Waldo's adjustable gain buffer waiting to be put in and all the switches.
Gr8fulCadi
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby JamGuy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 pm

So in looking at Waldo's Rosebud schematic what's the scoop with the neck/bridge tone pot? Is that just a dual stacked pot? It's not a concentric pot is it? Would I have to use that or could I run both caps and connections from the 5-way straight to a regular 500k pot. Kinda looks like it from the schematic?
JamGuy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby waldo041 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:43 pm

JamGuy wrote:So in looking at Waldo's Rosebud schematic what's the scoop with the neck/bridge tone pot? Is that just a dual stacked pot? It's not a concentric pot is it? Would I have to use that or could I run both caps and connections from the 5-way straight to a regular 500k pot. Kinda looks like it from the schematic?

it is a dual stacked potentiometer. you can use whichever you want to use, the single shared pot works as well.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby JamGuy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:49 am

perfect, thank you!
JamGuy
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Return to Guitar Building and Mods