Tiger Measurments?

Tiger Measurments?

Postby Retro » Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:15 am

Hello guys,
i already searched me a wolf at finding measurments of Tiger. I found some of Rosebud but none of Tiger. I'm nearly sure, i overseen them.
Some of you have an TIger-Replicate. Would you measure them?
Theres only one thing more: Could you use this template? When you discribe from which to which point of the guitar you measured, i don't understand every single word an there some words in the english language that couldn't translated into german.
Maybe you want to use centimeters :roll:

Heres the extern template:
Please don't get confused because the 51 mm. I'm not sure, if its right.
Retro
tiger
tiger

Re: Tiger Measurments?

Postby Poor Peter » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:55 am

I made my own template. Find a quality picture of tiger. Download and print it. Take it to your local office store (we have office max, kinkos, ect. ect.) Mark the nut and the bridge. Tell them u need this distance to be exactly 64.77 centimeters or 25 1/2", and have them blow the picture up. It may take them two or three tries to get it just right, but theres your template. Cost me like 6 bucks I think.
Poor Peter
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby Retro » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:00 am

And whats the distance of the... äähh... waist?
Retro
tiger
tiger

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:22 pm

You can find the known dimensions of a part of Tiger- like the Super Distortion pickups:

http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/DMHBdim.pdf

Take a good, flat, head-on photo of Tiger

http://www.herbgreenefoto.com/gallery/56340-jerry-s-guitars

and use that to ratio out to the other dimensions.
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Retro » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:44 pm

I don't have the options to print the whole picture. I just wanted to know, how much centimeters are from one point to a other point. Is it so difficult to answer my question as it is useful for me?
Retro
tiger
tiger

Postby TI4-1009 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:25 pm

"Give a man a fish..."
"Do not write so that you can be understood, write so that you cannot be misunderstood." -Epictetus

First show: 8/16/69 (Woodstock)
Last show: 3/19/95 (Unbroken Chain breakout)
Member of the Four-Decade Club
Charter Member, President & CEO of OAD (Order of the Ancient Deadheads)
TI4-1009

Postby Poor Peter » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:27 pm

TI4-1009 wrote:"Give a man a fish..."

No kidding
Poor Peter
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby softmachine72 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:40 am

A more accurate way is to use a blank fretboard and match the frets up. The 25.5 scale is a know number so the distance from the 24th fret to the center of the bridge is 6.375 in. You also have to be careful that the resolution is set properly on the monitor you are using because you can get horizontal distortion even if the vertical is correct . I can also tell you that the points on the upper bout are way too pointy , someone may get hurt.
softmachine72
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby playingdead » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Interesting exercise. I scaled a high resolution version of Herb Greene's photo of Tiger in Photoshop down to size based on the width of a DiMarzio pickup from adjustment screw to adjustment screw. Using guides in Photoshop, that gave me (these are rounded to the nearest quarter inch), use the blue lines as guides:

14 inches across lower bout (widest part of the guitar)

12.75 inches widest portion of horns at upper bout

9.25 inches horn tip (point) to horn tip

9.25 inches narrowest portion of body (lines up with horn tips)

1.5 inches horn tip to widest portion of horns at upper bout

17.75 inches upper horn tip to lower body (strap button)

Checking my own Tiger guitar, the measurements are somewhere in the ballpark, although my guitar is not wider at the lower bout than it is at the horns, which Garcia's clearly was.

The photo above is not the scaled one, it's a screenshot.
Last edited by playingdead on Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
playingdead

Postby Retro » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Thats an really big guitar. The template i printet (the one in my first post) has ca. 32,5 cm (12,79528 inches) from the widest part of the body, where you said, it must have 14 inches (35,56 cm).
I can't believe that Garcias Tiger was so big.

I printed this time yours and i can't print the whole 14 inch. I only got 13,5 inches. It's still a huge template. Thank you for this.
Retro
tiger
tiger

Postby softmachine72 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:21 pm

It is not that big IMHO, try 13In. at the lower bout.
softmachine72
Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby mgbills » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:13 pm

Just a quick add. Vic's/Leo's method is the way I took the shape and deduced measurements.

Be aware that Herb Green photo has the guitar leaning back just slightly. It doesn't make much of a difference. If I remember correctly the SDS-1 appears 0.008" smaller than actual size as measured on Starrett calipers if this method is used. That cool Photoshop method can probably correct this.

Additionally, I still strongly believe that the scale length or the fret placement is just slightly long on Tiger. If we take the Greene photo as reference, and look at the 15th fret as a reference my calculations show that the bridge is either 3/32" longer than 25-1/2", or ...somewhere along the fretboard some of the frets were placed a whisker long. Without actually pinning the distance to the 12th & the nut it's impossible to know. I posted this speculation in another post somewhere, and the measurements there are actual and not from memory. If you look at the great work by Moriarty, Scarletfire & others you will see that these excellent Tiger's typically have the Kluson bridge overlapping the brass pickup ring slightly. This is because those guitars are actually build to 25.5".

Just speculations & fuzzy small details.

Peace
M
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Postby waldo041 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:39 pm

mgbills wrote:Additionally, I still strongly believe that the scale length or the fret placement is just slightly long on Tiger. If we take the Greene photo as reference, and look at the 15th fret as a reference my calculations show that the bridge is either 3/32" longer than 25-1/2", or ...somewhere along the fretboard some of the frets were placed a whisker long. Without actually pinning the distance to the 12th & the nut it's impossible to know. I posted this speculation in another post somewhere, and the measurements there are actual and not from memory. If you look at the great work by Moriarty, Scarletfire & others you will see that these excellent Tiger's typically have the Kluson bridge overlapping the brass pickup ring slightly. This is because those guitars are actually build to 25.5".

You are correct Marty. Tigers bridge is placed so that his intonation is evenly spread across the travel of the saddles. Same thing happens with a Strat when using his high action, the bridge actually needs to be relocated slightly farther away from the 12th fret to accommodate the saddle travel needed to properly intonate it. On my Moriarty, the saddles are more towards the back of the bridge, but with roughly a 3/32'' move back they would center more evenly like his. As well as not have that slight overlap of the pickup plate. That said, Tiger is built to a 25.5" scale, the bridge still allows for it, but the move back is definitely there for his intonation.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby milobender » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:39 am

I use 25 5/8" as my measurement, to the center of travel of the saddles. The center of travel is not the same as the center of the bridge. This guitar was set up with a medium-high action, Low E at .025 to High E at .019, at the nut; and as you can see, there is plenty of adjustment left to go higher or lower.

IO Custom Guitars
http://www.iocustomguitars.com
Luthier and Quilter Amplification Dealer
Everything we know is wrong...
milobender

Postby mgbills » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Excellent clarifications!
I left out the whole issue of action, intonation, and and how saddle placement plays it. One should not try to cover a topic this complex between interruptions at work.

Peace
"Hi Ho...the Carrion Crow...FoldeRoldeRiddle"
mgbills

Return to Guitar Building and Mods